Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 is it fine to meditate while lying down?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrSteroids1

Canada
72 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2015 :  9:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
i find it to be easier to meditate while lying down instead of sitting. Is it fine to lay down instead of sitting for meditation? I remember reading that Yogani said that sitting is the preffered position and he only said that you may fall asleep if you lay down(i don't have that problem). is it just as effective to meditate while lying down versus while sitting?

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  12:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi MrSteroids,

I've tried reclined meditation (in a reclining chair) and meditation flat on my back. It has different effects than vertical seated meditation, and I have grown to prefer verticality. I wish I could identify specifically what that differences is. Here is a shot: vertical meditation integrates better into the neurobiology of ordinary waking life apart from the sit; and for that reason, it is preferable.

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  03:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No reason not to lie down as long as it doesn't make you sleep. If you were bed bound there would be no choice.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  04:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know sitting is preffered, but I started meditating lying down for some time, without being sleepy.
It worked fine for me. I did it because I found it hard then to sit with a straight spine. It takes time and practice to sit straight.

In fact Patanjali says, all asanas are there to reach a strong and flexible body, only then you can sit for meditation.....

Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  10:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi personally I find it better sitting but really did not know how, after allot of trial and error discovered that having correct sitting furniture makes a huge difference. My solution was a round Buckwheat hull filled Zafu Cushion like they use in ZEN and a Synthetic Yoga Mat underneath to keep the ankles from hurting on a hard floor still use this method to this day for daily cross legged sitting siddhasana style.

Also Yoga Mudra and Mahamudra help with developing flexibility for crosslegged sitting.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  12:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I sit in Seated Warrior atop a bolster (as if in a saddle), with a beaded sack at my perineum to simulate siddhasana. This is a very comfortable and stable position for practice.
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  12:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
mmm i wouldnt make laying down ur core practise. fine to do it here and there. if you are able to go into samadhi easily n can do it laying down then sure why not. until then you need posture
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2015 :  12:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just my opinion, but I think lying down is preferable, if - and only if - sleep is not a problem.

The Taoists think the 90 degree crease of seated posture in meditation fosters a divided inner organization. Upper/lower. I've found that to be true. There's no denying that seated works great for meditation (eons of practitioners can avow), but it can leave you with energy (and thus health) issues.

Meditating lying down makes it easier to let go of (and thereby integrate) the body as a whole. I don't think that can be denied by anyone who's tried both.

As a child and teen, I meditated lying down, with great results. I stopped for a few decades, then restarted with AYP. I'm still mostly meditating in a seated posture simply from habit and commitment to the practices. But I've often considered switching to a lying down posture. I do see the advantages.

As far as meditation itself, the particulars of what's going on with your body and its environment could not possibly matter less. These choices are strictly a matter of personal pref, and oughtn't get in the way. Meditate on a beautiful pristine, silent mountain on the coziest cushion in the world in perfect ramrod-spined siddhasana, or on a stained futon in a smelly, noisy basement hunched over....it literally couldn't matter less in terms of the meditation itself. Meditation involves letting go of - transcending - all specifics, so there's nothing more pointless than to fret the specifics of your meditation.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jun 19 2015 12:19:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Before

Hong Kong
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2015 :  05:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Known from a yogi, that sitting, with the palms facing upward is the best pose, because in that way the kundalini can be driven upwards. Lying down or sitting might not be able to trigger this effect.
Go to Top of Page

Rave18

15 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2016 :  05:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by MrSteroids1

i find it to be easier to meditate while lying down instead of sitting. Is it fine to lay down instead of sitting for meditation? I remember reading that Yogani said that sitting is the preffered position and he only said that you may fall asleep if you lay down(i don't have that problem). is it just as effective to meditate while lying down versus while sitting?

I've been meditating lying down for eight years now It is extremely effective. Even if you fall asleep initially, the sleep refreshes you and you tend to do better over time.
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  11:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@dogboy & @Jim and His Karma. Thank you for sharing info about lying down and Seated Warrior. Both will be added to my practice.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2016 :  03:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear all,

In AYP - it is not recommended to meditate lying down unless you are incapacitated.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2016 :  09:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with AYP on this. Laying down is not that great as the body starts to automatically start preparing for sleep other traditions teach this fact as well.

I also agree with Jim and his Karma.

Here is a work around that has come to me over the years.

At some point in a practitioners sadhana the desire to really open the pelvic region is going to happen and there will be deep satisfaction in opening up those hips and releasing that storehous of energy and tension found there.

If you use a thick cushioned mat like a the Japanese Buddhists do and a round cushion what you can do is this.

Sit down and cross your legs, left leg close in first bring heal closest to the perineum as possible which makes the left femur really go out.

Then do the same with he right leg.

Then bend forward like doing an odd pushup so you go up on your knees with legs crossed this is where having that thick cushion really helps.

Now you can spread those hips even wider and tuck those feet closer all with crossed legs.

As you go to sit pull that round cushion up under you in such a way as it is keeping you propped up in this very straight position you can even situate part of the cushion over your left heal and then gently find your stable seat this way.

It is easier and more comfortable than it sounds.

The torso will be straighter than when standing up and you can really get into your practices of Spinal breathing and deep meditation this way.

Immediate benefit is free flowing in the spinal nerve and no stagnation as Jim has shared.

Edited by - So-Hi on Jun 23 2016 10:06:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2016 :  11:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"As far as meditation itself, the particulars of what's going on with your body and its environment could not possibly matter less. These choices are strictly a matter of personal pref, and oughtn't get in the wayI completely understand why it's not AYP recommended to lie down but I definitely enjoyed the approach of not being bound by posture".

I can certainly understand why its not AYP recommended to lie down and it won't be my everyday posture but I really enjoyed approaching my session with the above quote. I'll try So-Hi's next but a quick read of it raises doubts that this "flexibility challenged" body will find it as simple as just lying down. Again, I appreciate that you all share.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2016 :  3:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Beehive it is not as difficult as it sounds, I just wait for the energy to warm the body then it gets flexible and wants to sit that way just like when it wants to make a big yaaawwwnnnnn...

Ah did I get ya? Did you yawn?

quote:
Originally posted by Beehive

"As far as meditation itself, the particulars of what's going on with your body and its environment could not possibly matter less. These choices are strictly a matter of personal pref, and oughtn't get in the wayI completely understand why it's not AYP recommended to lie down but I definitely enjoyed the approach of not being bound by posture".

I can certainly understand why its not AYP recommended to lie down and it won't be my everyday posture but I really enjoyed approaching my session with the above quote. I'll try So-Hi's next but a quick read of it raises doubts that this "flexibility challenged" body will find it as simple as just lying down. Again, I appreciate that you all share.

Edited by - So-Hi on Jun 23 2016 3:11:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  12:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
YEAH.... you got me. I yawned...... what a trickster.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000