Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Absolute beginner yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jacquic

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  8:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right place for this question, if not perhaps someone can point me in the right direction :)

I am a complete yoga beginner. I went to two classes once and never went back, if found the experience so unpleasant. Cold. Heartless. I absolutely did not connect with the teacher. I went to about 5 or 6 pregnancy yoga classes when I was pregnant a few years ago but it was less about the yoga and more about having some space and 'me' time to move and be in my body.

I have been walking a spiritual path for a long time and in January this year I experience a full on kundalini awakening (I have posted over on the kundalini but not AYP thread about that).

I am starting to feel a pull to yoga. I have no idea where to start with it, and the nearest classes to me are in a town a good 50km drive away (i.e. not convenient). Plus I've never felt drawn to any yoga classes in that town, there's a lot of yoga and lifestyle stuff but I'm not sure how deep it runs. You know?

So, my question is - where do I start?? Here, with the AYP lessons, or is there a more foundation level that I should start a practice with before getting into this stuff?

I'm just curious, I have worked with so many different spiritual paths/energies and this is one that I have been so aware of but never felt drawn to, but as I said, I'm starting to feel the pull now.

Thanks so much for any information you can provide.

Wishing you much love and light.

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  11:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The AYP lessons here will give all you need. The yoga classes in town only focus on the postures part of yoga. Yoga has 8 limbs. Here at AYP, we give importance to meditation. So start with meditation and build on it. Read through the lessons. Any doubts, feel free to ask.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  05:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello jacquic

I second jusmail - meditation is a good place to start.

After a few months of meditation you may begin to feel the benefits of bending and stretching. That will be a good time to look at Lesson 71 and give those asanas a try. You don't need to go to a class. You can probably find videos on Youtube demonstrating various asanas, if you feel you need more than the static picture to get you started.
Go to Top of Page

uniath

Finland
30 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  10:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello jacquic,

I had a partial kundalini awakening almost 10 months ago and have been following AYP since. I had done no spiritual practices before that, so full awakening would have been too much at that point. I have the tendency to try my limits, which inevitably leads to slight overload, but other than that it’s been a smooth ride. I have never been to a yoga class, so I can safely say that it’s not required.

We’ve all had our fair share of suffering, if not in this life then in others. I think of yoga as a means of taking the reward for it, offering the freedom that we all deserve. Initial attraction to yoga practices might(or might not) be an indicator that one has done yoga in previous lives. There’s certain familiarity with practices(ie. I did stage 2-3 kechari mudra at elementary school, not knowing what it was until at the age of 26) and automatic yoga further supports our cause.

The AYP lessons contain so much life-changing information that it’s still hard for me to comprehend. What I do know is that this is it. From one perspective my search is finally over and from other... it has just started. And a year ago I didn’t even know that I was searching something, yet I felt empty. Spiritual life is one heck of a paradox.

quote:
Originally posted by jacquic

I'm just curious, I have worked with so many different spiritual paths/energies and this is one that I have been so aware of but never felt drawn to, but as I said, I'm starting to feel the pull now.

So, you’ve been digging all around and showered a bit with a garden hose. Maybe this means that you are finally ready to dig one deep hole and bathe in that unlimited source of water.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  11:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jacquic,

Good for you to get started with a steady practice of yoga. I agree with Jusmail and Blueraincoat that you can find everything you need for meditation and information here.

If there is no yoga teacher available in your environment and you feel the need to follow a asana yogaclass , this is a Dutch lady who is very popular for her online lessons www.ekhartyoga.com

Edit: I have to admit that for start learning asana's, I do believe that you need a good yoga teacher who can give you the adjustments you need.
My own experience is that without my teacher, I don't know if I was here at this moment.

Edited by - Charliedog on Apr 22 2015 05:38:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  11:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Uniath!...so much of what you say resonates with me.
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  12:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jacquic
As a register yoga teacher Ryt-500 - I feel for your bad experience. Before I took yoga teacher training I did not go to any classes at all. I started with Rodney Yees book called Moving Toward Balance which takes you through an entire yoga course. I also bought yoga books and videos at thrift stores. Any videos for beginners by Rodney or Shiva Rea will work for you. Books by BKS Iyengar. YouTube has many videos. I also like Ekhart on YouTube. Yoga Journal website has lists of poses and many videos. Himalayan Institute website is amazing. The guru is in you and you honestly do not need a structured class or a teacher to do yoga. If you feel it's time then just do it. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  2:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jacquic, I fully agree that the AYP lessons are a great door into the world of yoga.

Also, I can imagine that attending an average yoga (asana) class may not be the best door into yoga, because you seem to be a very spiritual person.

In my case it has been very important to start yoga in a class because what I needed then was a body oriented approach.

AYP and specially its core practice (deep meditation) came into my yoga practice like a gift or a miracle: I found a link to an AYP lesson while randomly surfing on the web, and it has been like discovering a treasure.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  3:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
About following yogasana classes online:

IMO, if one's body is in good shape there shouldn't be major problems.

But if one (like me...) has some health issues it is much wiser to look for a skilled yogasana teacher.

Even the basic assna sequence from the AYP lessons contains some anasa that are potentially dangerous for me, so I had to find some safe variations. And the know how for tailoring such variations is not available online - you need a good teacher who works on your body and find the adjustments to make each asana fit your body without strain and risks.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  7:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jacquic

Just start with some simple forward folds. They are available throughout your day, no need for a yoga mat.

Any forward folding has long been torture for me; without a strap for floor exercise, I'm in in danger of toppling over. Six months ago I finally realized "why am I fighting this?". I vowed to do five minutes a day, while waiting for the kids or folding laundry (just pile it on the floor and bend for it) or putting lotion on my legs after a shower. Now that it's spring in New England, I'll have my five minutes in the yard as the sun rises and the birds welcome the golden light.

Six months ago it was like I was a GI Joe doll, my torso was separate from my legs, and I swivelled side to side by a gap at my third chakra. That gap is healing over as I fall in love again with my legs and my tight ass hamstrings. I love falling in love!

All on advice of guru of course. What's your guru telling you?

Edit: wording

Edited by - Dogboy on Apr 21 2015 7:23:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleKid

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  04:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you ever tried Qigong. Some people
call it Chinese yoga.
https://youtu.be/3K-0JpiJu-o
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000