Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Stinging teeth and tongue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BraveHeart

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  3:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forum here, so everyone please be gentle. At some point, hopefully in the near future, I will do a more thorough job of introducing myself. Lately, I have been reading through some of the forum posts, and I am inspired by the spirit of the messages and teachings contained within. I feel very blessed and grateful to have access to all this wisdom and experience.

My question today relates to my teeth and tongue. I have been practicing DM and Spinal Breathing for several years with somewhat SLOW and steady progress. There haven't been many signs of over-cooking, but lately my tongue and teeth begin to lightly sting during DM. Of course, it's very distracting, and abates only if I lower my tongue off the roof of my mouth, which sometimes feels unnatural. I'm not sure if I should consciously keep my tongue lowered, or just accept this and work through it. I would appreciate any and all advice on this matter.

Warm Regards to All, Rick

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  4:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Of course, it's very distracting, and abates only if I lower my tongue off the roof of my mouth, which sometimes feels unnatural. I'm not sure if I should consciously keep my tongue lowered, or just accept this and work through it. I would appreciate any and all advice on this matter.

Acceptance is always a good place to start. Sometimes observing the symptoms a little, sending them love, reduces the distraction. If it doesn't then yes, lower the tongue for now and revisit at your next session. If painful, then stop altogether. Chances are good this is purification at work and will pass. If the symptoms stray beyond DM, then self pacing should be considered.

Ketchari 2 is available to me, but at times the nasal passage is sensitive my tongue so I return to the simple Ketchari 1, without missing a beat. If you have to forsake Ketchari altogether, it won't hold back your progress. Aim for comfort in your sits and your life .

Edit: wording

Edited by - Dogboy on Apr 23 2015 5:01:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  9:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. Less is more in yoga. Let the tongue rest to absorb the purification. You can restart at a later date.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  05:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello BraveHeart

It sounds like automatic ketchari and probably a bit too early for it. It's a strong practice and there are many other techniques on the AYP book to build up before you get to ketchari.

Something you could try is positioning the tip of your tongue against the upper teeth.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  09:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BraveHeart, welcome here!

I experienced a similar thing in my tongue but not in my teeth. In my case, it's not stinging, more like electricity on the tip of the tongue and - on some days - this pulls the tongue upwards to the palate. This started after a couple of weeks of DM and sti happens on most of the sits. It was scary in the beginnig because I was not aware of automatic yoga, but the advice of this community was to just let it happen and not force anything. That's what I did and now I don't even notice it.
Go to Top of Page

BraveHeart

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  10:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I thank all of you for your kind and prompt replies. To be more clear, currently during DM my tongue naturally wants to rest upwards on the bump, on the roof of the mouth, lightly touching or adjacent to the top teeth. In this position, a light stinging sensation(electrical in nature?), engulfs the entire area( bump, tongue, and front top teeth), and this draws my attention immediately to this spot. Is this unintentional Ketchari? At this point, it will take a conscious effort to keep my tongue off this spot. Thanks Again.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  11:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is unintentional Ketchari - sounds like phase one of Ketchari. You may want to search the AYP site for "automatic yoga". Sometimes practices happen spontaneously.

There are two option with automatic yoga:
1) Tell yourself not to do it
I had Mulabanda happen automatically some time ago. It was too early in my practice and it was overloading me. I told myself I wasn't going to do it and it stopped.
Sometimes automatic yoga might not go away as easily as that. You also have the option to allow your attention to focus on it, during meditation, when it becomes distracting. You may find the movement/reflex lessens or goes away if you hold it in awareness for a little while.

2) Just let it happen
If it doesn't interfere with your meditation i.e. does not stop you focusing on the mantra, you just let it be, just as Ecdyonurus said.

Whichever route you take, the important thing is that you don't let this become the on-going focus of your meditation. You don't favour it in preference to the mantra. If it continues to be there, you deal with as as with any other thought/feeling/sensation occurring in meditation.

Enjoy your practice!

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Apr 24 2015 11:05:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  11:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, regarding my suggestion above to rest the tip of the tongue on the back of the front teeth - that was to make it easer to relax the body of the tongue and let if fall away from the palate. If you manage to relax the tongue in that position before you begin your meditation, there may be a chance that could become the default position.

Of course no one else but you can work out the best way to deal with this, whether you allow it to happen or put a stop to it.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  12:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Is this unintentional Ketchari? At this point, it will take a conscious effort to keep my tongue off this spot. Thanks Again.

Unintentional? Not to Guru Inyou! Do the 'unconscious effort' and allow the stinging to melt into the silence. Like BlueRaincoat mentions, you can always try to stop it, if this doesn't work.
Go to Top of Page

BraveHeart

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  12:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your suggestions and guidance. I will reflect on this advice and then try to push/lean/fall forward in my practice. I am grateful for the assistance.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  11:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Braveheart
If you have been practicing DM and SBP for several years now and the tongue is attracting your attention then maybe it is time to move it where it wants to go I.e. in Kechari phase II. Read up on that if you have not done so yet.
No sign of overload, No need to tarry, move with the programme.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

BraveHeart

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  11:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, thank you SeySorciere. I will study up on the kechari phases. For the moment, I am just letting things be (apparently the tongue is preferring the kechari 1 position). It seems like just merely discussing this issue the last few days has caused some of the symptoms to temporarily abate. However, if the mild pain continues or worsens, I may be forced to implement some of the contingency plans suggested above. thanks again to all.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  05:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BraveHeart
It seems like just merely discussing this issue the last few days has caused some of the symptoms to temporarily abate.

Amazing what happens when you bring these things into awareness, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

BraveHeart

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  09:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, ABSOLUTELY.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000