Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Can't relax while doing spinal breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  3:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I have been using AYP techniques for a couple of months now, doing the two times daily routine as recommended.
When practicing spinal breathing, I can't enjoy it and I feel like I haven't got a grip on the basic technique, even though I've been practicing it for 4 months now.

Here's a list of my problems and unclear points:

1)I feel like I'm short of breath, when I'm trying to trace the current in my spinal nerve, my breathing often stops before the current reaches the third eye/root. So my breaths seem to be too short to get the whole lenght of the spinal nerve.

2) I'm generally having a hard time tracing the spinal nerve. How important is timing the breath with the tracing here? I often breath in and when I stop breathing in, the current hasn't reached my head, yet.

3) When imagining the stream going upwards, I often feel nothing, until it hits my head, than I can feel it strongly going forward and than really strong at the third eye. Is this a problem, since I don't feel much in the lower part of the body? Might this create imbalances?

4)When imagining it going downwards, I very often loose it completely after it has reached my lower back. I can't really make it go all the way down to the root, most of the times, I run out of breath. I'm using breath restriction for breathing out.

5) I tried doing yoga breath (filling the stomach first, than the lungs..) but it took so much concentration away, that I couldn't focus on the spinal nerve anymore.

Due to these factors, I can't really relax and I always have the feeling, like I'm doing something wrong. But at the end of my spinal breathing I normally feel more open and ready for meditation, so something is definetly working.

I would appreciate all help, and I'm especially eager to know, if it's ok to force the breath a bit, because I heard one shouldn't force anything and that it can be dangerous.

Sorry for so many questions, I'm probably overthinking it ,

Bless you all

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  5:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ace,

Don't make Spinal Breathing more difficult than you need to. It should be a simple and easy practice that is enjoyable.

1 and 2: When you are inhaling, if you have not reached the third eye by the end of the inhalation then simply jump to the third eye and then carry on down with the out breath. The same goes for exhalation: If you have not reached the perineum by the end of the exhalation then simply jump to the root and carry on up again with the next breath.

3: It doesn't really matter what you are feeling during Spinal Breathing. The important thing is to be tracing the sushumna nadi with your attention during the practice. Sensations will come and go and change over time.

4. If breath restriction is making things difficult then leave it out until everything feels easier. Then after a few weeks add it back in again.

5. Again, the focus on the sushumna nadi is the most important thing, so as with ujjayi breathing, you could leave full yogic breathing out until you have the basic practice feeling easy and smooth. Then again, after a few weeks add it back in, but not at the same time as ujjayi breathing. Add one thing back in at a time.

Spinal Breathing Pranayama is most effective when you are relaxed as prana responds to a relaxed state of mind. So let it be an easy and simple practice and add in the extras when you are ready.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Ace

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2015 :  04:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Christie,

thanks a lot for your clarifying all points.

quote:
When you are inhaling, if you have not reached the third eye by the end of the inhalation then simply jump to the third eye and then carry on down with the out breath. The same goes for exhalation: If you have not reached the perineum by the end of the exhalation then simply jump to the root and carry on up again with the next breath.

this was especially helpful.

have a great day
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000