New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

ajna

India
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  04:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit ajna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
At first, I thought you said something like, "I'm not sure if Adya is authentic ... but Kirtanman should know ...."

Yes, you are right, i meant the authenticity of the pdf (as it was in a site different than Adya's home site). Your posts are most informative and enjoyable as always. Thanks.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Cloud Recluse

11 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  05:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cloud Recluse's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ajna,
Thanks for that link.Ive downloaded the thing & now am in the process of reading it :-)
Go to Top of Page

Cloud Recluse

11 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  06:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cloud Recluse's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirtanman,

Thankyou VERY much for taking the time on such a substantial reply.You are one thourogh individual !Im glad you dont think Im too far off in my take on all this.It does concern me that all my impressions are "2nd-hand" (ie,books & cd's),but Adya is apparently coming to Australia later this year.so Im sure THAT will be interesting.

Regards,Cloud.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  07:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are Adyashanti groups that get together around the country, and I attended one last night. I was glad to have had the information from this thread, and particularly thankful for your very open sharing here, Brett. I'm an Adya fan, and am reaping the riches of his teachings. But I wonder about the emphasis on awakening, and if there's adequate support for overload situations like the one described here. There were quite a few people there last night who go to his retreats regularly, and when I asked if there were many 'overload' situations, where a person was receiving too much too fast, it was generally agreed that when this happens, it is due to the person's resistance to awakening. In other words, if the person simply releases their ego involvement, there would be no problems. I find this problematic, and somewhat irresponsible, if this is truly the position taken on the retreats. But I realize that this response was not necessarily the official stance of Adyashanti and his team.

An emphasis on awakening can be misleading and dangerous. I have a new appreciation for the methodical, self-paced approach that Yogani has laid out. :) Given the choice, I'd rather be grounded than enlightened.
Go to Top of Page

Cloud Recluse

11 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  03:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cloud Recluse's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually Meg,your point about excessive emphasis on awakening is quite timely for me.

It was actually listening to one of Adyas cd's that helped relieve me of the craving for Enlightenment.I came away from it with the feeling that there is no need to obsess about awakening,or to try & manufacture a moral demand for it.Any real awakening would be inspired by a naturally arising desire for the nondual,a kind of sublime "curiosity",that occurs on its own unpredictable timetable.

You cant force the issue.Either it arises in you as a spontaneous 'call',a truly organic Bhakti,or it doesnt.No worry either way.It is not 'necessary' that you be pursuing a Direct Path.The only 'necessity' is to act with integrity.So be attentive to where you are,but dont Push the River.

Direct Path is not 'right',but it may be the only satisfactory option for a certain person in a certain situation.For another person ,it may be actually irrelevant!!
So the call to the nondual arises from the mysterious,unpredictable Dao,not the egos definitions of 'correct' spiritual timetables.If your Direct Path motivations are in fact negative ( eg;seeking permanent immunity from the feelings of pain or loss),you wont be able to sustain a real practice.Life doesnt have to be 'cured',just embraced.

Now I should point out that this is MY response to Adya.This is what hes inspired in me.But I dont think Im distorting him TOO much.Its just that he makes it a question of passion,of positive motivation,that cant be dictated to anyone.He doesnt seem to say "You MUST go via some kind of Direct Path",only "If you REALLY want Direct Path,here is my approach".

Now whether or not there is the danger of either Adya,or one of his perhaps overly enthusiastic students,pushing Awakening & making it into another "Thou Shalt",I lack the experience to say.But its good that youve raised this,because it probably will/has inadvertantly happened at some point,to some degree,out of sheer human fallibility.
It is naturally something to watch for ( without getting paranoid),simply as an intelligent caution.But given what Ive heard & read of Adya sofar,I would be surprised if it ever became 'policy'.If it does/has happened,I would imagine Adya would have the integrity to acknowledge it directly.

So,ironically,Adyas Direct Path teachings have relaxed my obsessions with Direct paths.I no longer feel it as a grim obligation to Awaken,but rather as a development that will come in its own time,as long as I continue to truly LIVE my life now,taking whatever path ( as long as its really a path )seems productive.To this end,I am now investigating Yoganis approach.And it is Adyas perspective that has helped me relax into this.

Regards,Cloud.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  04:25:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cloud
I really like your take on this, it reads to me like a very balanced approach.
It has helped me put some perspective on what I have been hearing about Adyashanti and Tolle in regard to practices.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

Cloud Recluse

11 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  08:50:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cloud Recluse's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou Louis,thats kind of you to say so.

I think theres always the question of motivation,genuine Bhakti or fearful compulsion.Which is your main motivation at any given time? I dont think a practice can last if mere compulsion,no matter how prettified,is the only thing that drives it.

I think real Bhakti springs from a glorious,enthusiastic response to the mystery & challenge of life,including lifes pain as well as beauty.Its an immense YES to life.Its not that desperation for immunity,for numbness,that can so often masqurade as spirituality.

So I get into this stuff as an investigation,an eager embrace,instead of as a means to remedy some dread spiritual ill,some 'worthlessness',& I have faith that the Direct Path will arise in me in its own good time.No need to spoil it all with panic.

Thats not to say fear-based motivations,the desire to protect a perceived 'self' from "problem x" (sin,death,bad karma,loss,shame..whatever) dont also figure in my motivations.But as long as the Creative response outweighs the Fearful,I figure Im still wandering about somewhere on the Path .I really dont think God wants to hurt me :-)

This is all pretty general,and Im NOT advocating some careless crytals-&-unicorns trip,but do you see what Im getting at?

Regards,Cloud

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  08:54:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cloud - Your post has further helped me to put this 'awakening' business in perspective. Adya is giving us the astonishing message that awakening is something that happens here and now, rather than elsewhere and later. He drives home the point that it is our birthright to awaken into the moment, and that moment is NOW, and the only thing standing in the way is our residual embodiment of ego. Which is probably correct, but that may be a GOOD thing. The ego, with all of its shortcomings, may sometimes shield us from that which it knows will burn us out; namely, too much too fast. I mean, think about it - if all is THAT, and THAT is all, then THAT includes ego. Indeed, maybe ego has been placed there by THAT. Ego gets such a bum rap, but without it, many of us would be burnt-out husks. I'm taking the stance that my body isn't ready to handle the full embodiment of spirit, and I trust that when it is, my awakening will occur as spontaneously as Adya's. And as Brett said in another post on Adya:

It's funny, before all this I was one of the people that was in a great rush for enlightenment, and now realize how much I'd be missing out on if it happened today. The past year and a half has been the most miraculous time of my life, and I wouldn't trade that for the world. There is a saying that is escaping me right now which says something along the lines of "the journey is the goal".

I had a lengthy conversation about this with another forumite over the weekend, who pointed out that there is a fundamentalist feeling behind this, and I would agree. In my born-again Christian days there was the underlying belief that if "bad stuff" was happening to you, it was because you were hiding some particularly foul sins, so best to just 'fess up, sister, and get right with God. In a subtle way my buttons are being similarly pushed. Since I haven't yet awakened, my raging ego must be the culprit, so get thee to a meditation retreat where your ego will be nuked and fried. (plz note that I'm grossly exaggerating here, and I in no way believe this to be Adya's official stance. But subtleties become pronounced over time, and I think that Adya's teachings run the risk of alienating those unfortunate souls who simply are not prepared to awaken in this lifetime).

God bless AYP, the Methodists of spiritual awakening.

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  3:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On the subject of seemingly-powerful statements about the ego, many teachers say stuff like 'the only thing between you and your enlightenment is your ego, right at this moment' etc. etc. etc. Well, saying that does seem to have value for some people at some times, as it seems sometimes to encourage an awakening. However, the people for whom this precipitated an awakening were probably in some respect, right 'at the edge' of some kind of an awakening anyway.

So the statement may have a motivational or stimulating value sometimes. But taken as a statement of fact, it's somewhat empty or misleading. Because, what is this they are calling 'your ego'? Well, it's nothing other than the very way your nervous system is functioning. It's the very way you are right now. So saying, 'the only thing between you and your enlightenment is your ego', is not very different in substance to saying 'the only thing between you and your enlightenment is your non-enlightenment' -- or the only thing between you and your perfect health is your illness. No **** Sherlock -- it's all clear now, thanks for the key to perfect health. :)

So, I'm never sure of the value of these kind of sweeping statements about ego -- and I'm never sure what exactly people are talking about when they say 'ego' -- and I often wonder if people really understand what they are talking about when they say ego -- or if the person speaking is talking about the same thing that the listener understands.

I do find Yogani's lessons to be fairly free of these kind of statements. Ego isn't mentioned often in the lessons at all, and when it is it is usually in the words of a questioner.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  4:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,
I quite agree with you.

When I hear the words "get rid of your ego" and I see those yogi-fakirs
trying to get rid of their ego by killing their body (their senses and feelings),
I think they are trying to kill the divine in them

Well, this may be off topic, because it's not really related
to Adyashanti, or is it ? Is he trying to kill his ego ?
I hope not.

cheers
Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  6:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The ego isn't a thing. It's a projection resulting from our illusion of separateness. There's nothing to kill.

Mind's a different thing. Mind's the collector and archiver of our sense impressions. Firing the librarian is a poor idea. But while it's a wonderful servant, it's a poor master. When we think the mind is what we are, when it is given free reign to do its drunken monkey routine, darting from thought to craving to revulsion to memory to craving to revulsion, results are highly dysfunctional. Ego is the narrative loosely constructed by the shape of the random dartings of mind. The narrative becomes identity. And identity supplants God.

Our ego is like a toddler steering his toy steering wheel with great attention in the passenger seat as daddy drives. We feel disoriented, angry, and disappointed that the car keeps turning when we don't, and that our turns often have no effect. It's a nauseating disconnection. But there are enough random coincidences (I steer my toy wheel and the car really does go that way) to keep us hooked to the delusion for our entire bloody lives.

To "kill the ego", to use your term, is to simply let go of that completely ineffectual, more-than-slightly-insane toy steering wheel. There's really no violence involved, and nothing lost, aside from lots of neurotic effort.

One alternative is to hack ways to hyper-power the toy steering wheel, and even maybe patch it semi-effectively into the car's actual system (take THAT, you damned car!). Though the tools for doing this draw from the spiritual toolset, this approach means going 180 degrees the other way. You'll never drop what you aim to strengthen.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Mar 12 2007 7:33:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  7:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David, watching for ego to be mentioned by name is rarely helpful. Leaving aside specific individuals and systems and speaking generally: the egoic (particularly those adopting a spiritual bent) are rarely aware that they are egoic, and certainly never proclaim themselves or their paths as such.

You yourself had a brilliant notion which was helpful to me. It's the notion of having things "at stake". That's good stuff. The ego is the staker and the staked. It's all a silly misperception which we fuel greatly via our daily life and strivings, and seek to reduce via yoga. Consider always whether you're adding or reducing. It's a great yardstick.

And be aware that staking is subtle. I may have a stake in feeling spiritual and humble, for example, in warning you about staking. The solution? Cut the cords. Drop it all. Surrender. Stop mucking around with it all. The goal isn't to muck around more skillfully (which is what occult is about), it's to get the hell out of the mud.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Mar 12 2007 7:40:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cloud Recluse

11 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  07:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cloud Recluse's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meg
(plz note that I'm grossly exaggerating here, and I in no way believe this to be Adya's official stance. But subtleties become pronounced over time, and I think that Adya's teachings run the risk of alienating those unfortunate souls who simply are not prepared to awaken in this lifetime).

Personally Meg,just going by his presentation (which of course Ive only experienced 2nd-hand),Adya himself doesnt overly worry me.

Though Ive heard others criticise him as "Advaita-lite",I think he puts it perspective quite well.Its just that ANY Path has its inevitable possibilities for some kind of distortion or excess.

Of all the Direct Path types I have read,Adya seems the most balanced,the most free of morbid fanatacism,so far as I can tell.This would also mean that when distortion arises,the integrity to acknowledge & deal with it would also (hopefully) follow fairly directly.

As I said in aprevious post,the irony is that Adyas take on the Direct Path has freed me from obsession with it,without in any way dismissing direct Path teachings.

If that happens to me just through reading his stuff & listening to a few cd's,I imagine he must be a fairly worthwhile teacher

So apart from now being interested in what he has to say on pretty much any spiritual topic,Im also quite interested to see how his Sangha develops,& how they will handle the inevitable problems that must surely crop up sooner or later.I think it will be genuinely interesting & instructive for any practitioner,not just the Direct Path ones.

Regards,Cloud.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  08:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cloud - I don't see the problems arising so much from Adya's teachings, as from the interpretations thereof. Misunderstanding of what is meant by 'ego', as David pointed out, or the frenzied 'awaken-or-bust' attitude of some of his followers. From my limited exposure to the scene, I see the emphasis on awakening as problematic, or at least not my cup of tea. I'm also turned off by the 'hush' that surrounds the man, which as far as I can tell has less to do with Adya's self-promotion than with the predictable mythologizing of his followers. Didn't Jesus also have this problem? On one hand he claimed to be God, but he made it abundantly clear to his followers that they were, too. I don't envy enlightened teachers; it's got to be frustrating as hell to keep the record straight. The admiration of Adya's followers extends too far, imo. He may be enlightened, but I wouldn't necessarily go to him for practical advice. I wouldn't let him rotate my tires.
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  10:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Experience is in direct proportion to sincerity of seeking. If you read the history of individuals that have "reached" enlightenment by "unknowing" what they thought themselves to be, you realize that there was a period (of time) where they sought and then "let go". (The very fact that the words "reached", "unknowing", "let go" are used, is a testament that something needed to be unknown or arrived at or let go).

In other words, to renounce or to just let go is one way of experiencing the Self; and to some, this is the pinnacle of realization. There is contentment. The heart center, living in the present, where the future seemingly doesn't exist is a matter of individual perception, since we know that the future does, in fact exist, since the sun will continue to rise the following day. So, these individuals no longer "doubt" who they are, but they may no longer experience "faith", since faith is something that exists in a future Reality and some may equate this with the ego.

They demonstrate their "belief" in the existence of the Self, through experience - the "I am", "I exist", which is truth.

Doubt - past
Belief - present
Faith - future

For these individuals, unknowing what the future holds creates a sort of ecstasy or aliveness. We've all experienced this in one way or another, when we didn't know what tomorrow or the next day would bring. This perception, being at the center of an allegorical swinging pendulum, of Natural Law, is where "peace" is also found, since there are no longer extremes of pleasure and pain, regardless that the pendulum continues to swing where joy and sorrow continue to exist, within the world, the following day.

Then there is a perception of Reality where the pendulum swings and encompasses a full circle, which includes the above, where apparent opposites connect in perfect paradoxical universal harmony, of complete Faith. Living completely in the moment, but knowing that the future will bring even greater spiritual progression - where Love exists, is All Inclusive, and is not merely a positive off-shoot of being realized, since God is Love.

Not all desire is a barrier to the Self. Although detachment is essential, spiritual desire is noble:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Mar 13 2007 11:33:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cloud Recluse

11 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  06:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cloud Recluse's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meg

Cloud - I don't see the problems arising so much from Adya's teachings, as from the interpretations thereof. Misunderstanding of what is meant by 'ego', as David pointed out, or the frenzied 'awaken-or-bust' attitude of some of his followers...

Meg-it wouldnt actually suprise me if that situation is developing around Adya,as I think its kind of the occupational hazard of Direct Path teachers.But I still will be interested to see how far it actually develops,& how he will then address it.

Im fairly optimistic on that one,because (to the best of my knowledge) he himself hasnt reinforced the mythologizing that his students may well be tempted to indulge in.

I imagine that a lot of guru types,in giving in to the temptation of self-promoting mythologies,paint themselves into a corner.It becomes part of their message,they become publically identified with it.My impression is that Adya has avoided that stuff,& doesnt really seem to be inclined to it in the first place.So he hasnt really got anything to lose in acknowleding such excess when it arises for what it is,& thus set about resolving it.

If the eager mythologising by students HAS started to make an impact,I will be really interested to see where Adya goes from there.If you would care to elaborate on your perception of how his Sangha is developing,please dont hesitate,as I am quite interested.

Regards,Cloud
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  10:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cloud recluse said:
Im fairly optimistic on that one,because (to the best of my knowledge) he himself hasnt reinforced the mythologizing that his students may well be tempted to indulge in.

Cloud, I hope you are right. About Adya Shanti in particular I know very little. But I can say that merely not reinforcing the mythologizing is not nearly enough to stop it. If one really wants to break the mythologization, one has to actively work to break it. I don't believe that that is actually that hard, provided self-image is correct. But maintaining correct self-image is very difficult while one is in the teaching role.

If a teacher's self-image is out-of-whack, inflated, it's almost impossible for them not to self-mythologize, even while they may be officially repudiating the mythology.

There are many reasons why it is very difficult to keep your self-image mature and in order if you are a successful spiritual teacher. One big reason is that your student's image of you is almost always immature and out-of-order -- it's very difficult to be surrounded by that and not be affected adversely.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  11:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

There are many reasons why it is very difficult to keep your self-image mature and in order if you are a successful spiritual teacher. One big reason is that your student's image of you is almost always immature and out-of-order -- it's very difficult to be surrounded by that and not be affected adversely.

Hi David:

Yes, I would agree that Adyashanti is at risk, just as all adored teachers have been. All it takes is a few wayward desires on the part of the teacher (who doesn't have them?) and it can run astray in a hurry.

I once knew an old Indian guru (not famous) who was so lost in his imagined grandeur that he had one of his disciples assigned to peel his grapes for him at meal time, along with many other "personal service" jobs. The poor woman eventually had a nervous breakdown. That is when I knew there was something seriously amiss in the guru system. Nevermind the big scandals. For every big one, there are thousands of small ones. That is the system. It is not so different from the Catholic Church, or any other non-democratic hierarchical system.

The problem arises when a teaching becomes teacher-based, rather than knowledge and aspirant-experience based. Of course, most traditions are about the teacher more so than the knowledge, thanks to the benefits human beings can find within their own bhakti. As so many gurus have said: "Worship me and I will give you salvation."

Due to the power of bhakti in the aspirant, it does work, so we can't completely reject the model out of hand. That is human history.

In all honesty, what gurus who can't avoid seeking adoration should say is: "Worship me and you will give yourself salvation."

That is the truth of it. Ironically, self-serving gurus can help true bhaktis, because the bhakti practitioner will benefit no matter how imperfect the object of their devotion may be. Ramakrishna managed it quite well with only a statue.

On the other side of the coin, some have left detailed writings behind, and these documents alone have formed the basis of accurate spiritual knowledge transmission throughout the ages, as much as is possible in this earth realm. That is why I have placed my bet almost entirely on creating writings. It dampens mythologizing (hopefully) and will last for a long time with minimal distortion (if the writing is true).

These forums are for that too. Did you all know you are writing the ancient scrolls of the future? Not to worry, we will be long gone before anyone realizes we should all be mythologized.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  3:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
*laughing* Great readings!

quote:
Our ego is like a toddler steering his toy steering wheel with great attention in the passenger seat as daddy drives. We feel disoriented, angry, and disappointed that the car keeps turning when we don't, and that our turns often have no effect. It's a nauseating disconnection. But there are enough random coincidences (I steer my toy wheel and the car really does go that way) to keep us hooked to the delusion for our entire bloody lives.

Hilarious, Jim!

quote:
Yogani: Did you all know you are writing the ancient scrolls of the future? Not to worry, we will be long gone before anyone realizes we should all be mythologized.

Funny, but can anyone fill me in on what is so terrible with mythologizing? Doesn't it fill a purpose like everything else here on earth? It exists, it is a part of THAT. Must be perfect in some way...

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  5:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
e - Mythologizing is what keeps us from awakening. It puts the focus 'out there' instead of 'in here'. The best teaching that you'll ever receive is the constant reminder that the guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  02:11:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian
But maintaining correct self-image is very difficult while one is in the teaching role.

Any self image in a spiritual teacher - "correct" or not - is a problem.

Self image is the ultimate in stakedness. Self image is the border between separate me and the rest of the universe. It is ego. It is what drops as we surrender. It cannot coexist with enlightenment. If you want to spot an enlightened person, watch for someone with no self image whatsoever.

A small child has no self-image. That's why you must become like one to enter heaven.

See my posting on page 1 of this thread: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=554
For that matter, see your own posting on page 2, which I'll quote:

----------
And so, they are still gloriously stuck in the same thing that the poor mud-toad is stuck in. The physical mud-hole to be defended is long gone -- the defense of the territory is still there.
And it's still just a friggin' mud-hole. Whatever is mine-and-not-yours is a friggin mud-hole. The kingdom of heaven is thrown away for a friggin' mud-hole.

So what I watch out for, as a mark of non-enlightenment, is the territoriality. What image are they defending? What do they think is theirs-and-not-mine? Are they ready to share glory with me or are they going to defend themselves against having to do that?
----------

It is true that teachers must market themselves, and marketing requires an image. That's why teaching is a precarious thing (which I think we agree on!). I have no way of proving this, but I'm intuitively pretty certain that the vast majority of enlightened people have avoided it like the plague (except via indirect means).

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Mar 15 2007 02:19:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  06:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But why is mythologizing causing more upset feelings than other problems in the world that keeps putting mud on our mirror? Where are all the calm and wise words that point to the fact that "there are no problems with the world or how it is working - it is only in your minds that mythologizing is a problem - work with your self, relax and don't mind about other people's business". That's the answer I get from you (formists) every time I am upset over something I perceive as less okey out there in the world...
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  09:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

But why is mythologizing causing more upset feelings than other problems in the world that keeps putting mud on our mirror?

Mythologizing is the mud! To mythologize is to believe that we are separate, and there's the problem. Self-mythologizing is the worst, and as Jim said, it simply cannot coexist with enlightenment. Anyone who's serious about growing up spiritually has got to surrender their claims to separateness (ego).
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  10:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

We don't have to make a big thing out of mythologizing, or anti-mythologizing. If we do, we are just creating another ideology.

Ideologizing?!

It is suggested to just be aware of the pitfalls on both teacher and aspirant sides, without becoming obsessed with them, and take the appropriate measures when necessary. It is not necessary to run away from anything.

As it says in the lessons and in the first radio interview, "Take what works for you, and leave the rest behind." That is probably the best advice we can give on moving ahead while avoiding holding ourselves back. It is never going to be all or nothing. We don't have to make that choice. We can harvest the truth wherever we happen to be, especially if we have been cultivating inner silence in deep meditation.

Strong bhakti can operate in this way also. Do you think Ramakrishna was worried about the blemishes on the Kali statue? No. All he saw was the divine outpouring, and it was in him!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  11:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani - I agree that making a big deal out of mythologizing can be as distracting as the mythologizing itself. But I believe that it's beneficial to point it out when/if it shows up, if only as a silent nod to oneself, "Ah - there it is.." It's the non-recognition that creates the problem in the first place, and anything to boost one's awareness of the pitfalls can only strengthen the teacher/student relationship. I've seen some instances where bhakti becomes misguided and ends up in the lap of the teacher rather than on God.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000