Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Need clarification on SBP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2014 :  5:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,
I have read in a Yogani's post that we must follow a path in the center of the body (not in the back or the front) when we trace with the breath in SBP, however the common instructions are that we must trace the spinal nerve with the breath, my confusion is that for me the spinal nerve is in the back!(and not the center)...
Any clarification is welcome!
Thanks in advance.
João

Edited by - joao.jlgoncalves on Nov 13 2014 5:35:37 PM

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2014 :  11:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You hf o trace it through the spine
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  02:23:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i think that jusmail is saying:
you have to trace it through the spine
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  03:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Joao, the spine is not really in the very back: if you look in an anathomy book (you will find pictures on the net) you can see where the spine actually is - much more inside as we think and feel it.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  06:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI João
Yogani's advice (I can't remember the exact lesson but I'm sure I read it in the AYP book) is that it is not necessary to be very exact. As long as you go up and down between the perineum and third eye, it is not very important how close to the spine you go - it could be along the back or towards the centre of the body.
When your sushumna 'wakes up', you will find that it is in fact quite a wide channel (a "big little nerve" as Yogani puts it).
For the time being, go with whatever feels easiest.
Enjoy your practice

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Nov 14 2014 07:05:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  07:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much all for your responses!
They are really appreciated.
João
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  08:17:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Joao,

All the advice you have been given is spot on.

Here is the relevant section from the main lessons:

"Next, with each rising inhalation of the breath, allow your attention to travel upward inside a tiny thread, or tube, you visualize beginning at your perineum, continuing up through the center of your spine, and up through the stem of your brain to the center of your head. At the center of your head the tiny nerve makes a turn forward to the point between your eyebrows. With one slow, deep inhalation let your attention travel gradually inside the nerve from the perineum all the way to the point between the eyebrows." [Yogani]

It is from lesson 41.

But as BlueRaincoat says, things change as the body awakens. As you begin to feel prana flowing through your body it may be flowing up through the center of your spine, or it may be flowing further forwards, more towards the middle of your body. As you awaken, go with what you feel rather than fixing to a channel within the spine.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  09:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Christi!!!
João
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  8:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you start with the back of the spine, no one starts and can feel inside the center of the spine. its like gradually peeling through into it. layers. like an onion kinda.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000