Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 repeating the mantra vs thinking the mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cevalus

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  10:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It says in the lesson that you should think effortlessly about the "I AM" mantra and just go back to it whenever you notice your mind thinking other thoughts. Seems simple enough.

Repeating the mantra has become pretty effortless for me during my meditation. So much so that I usually repeat the mantra without thinking it. I just sort of repeat the mantra all throughout my meditation and let my mind be aware of whatever thoughts/sensations might be arising.

Before I had started AYP, I had read Mindfulness in plain english. The book draws a clear distinction between concentration and mindfulness. Should I actively concentrate/think the mantra or can I just be mindful of thoughts/sensations while repeating the mantra?

What is the best approach for AYP? Is AYP more geared towards concentration meditation or is it more like mindfulness meditation?

Edited by - cevalus on Nov 04 2014 10:58:58 AM

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  11:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Somebody asked a similar question before.
Yogani's answer was, in essence: "Meditation is about favoring the mantra with our attention, not about having the mantra going on automatically while we are focusing on other things."

You can read his the whole answer here http://www.aypsite.org/195.html

Does this answer your question?

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Nov 04 2014 11:42:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

cevalus

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  11:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that's exactly the answer I was looking for! Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  11:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  5:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
...repeat the mantra without thinking it. I just sort of repeat the mantra all throughout my meditation...

Liked the way the mantra repeated in your post!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000