Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Feeling worse, rather than better!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

buz66

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2014 :  5:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I wonder if anyone has had the same issues? I'm currently taking 2 sits a day; 1 at 6:30am before the gym (15-20mins) and the other around 8pm (20mins) after sorting the kids out and putting them to bed etc. I've been meditating for around 2 months and I have to say I'm finding zero benefit. I've had issues early on but I feel that I'm getting to a better place with the mantra and letting thoughts and outer experiences flow by. But I have to say that the only difference I feel now than before is that I'm more tired from my early sit. Infact I'm a little more irritable than I was before, i think! Has anyone been through this before? Could I get away with one longer sit? Any adivice would be great as I'm really considering stopping altogether.

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2014 :  9:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Buz,

It sounds like you're considering your options. There's nothing wrong with taking a break, at least in my view. Maybe you can cut back some and reevaluate in a couple weeks?

Wishing you the best!

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  08:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I've been meditating for around 2 months and I have to say I'm finding zero benefit.

Is this true? Zero?

quote:
But I have to say that the only difference I feel now than before is that I'm more tired from my early sit. Infact I'm a little more irritable than I was before, i think!

After a full nights restful (I assume) sleep you meditate and then are sleepy and irritable? For two months now? I can understand being sleepy for the evening sit; sometimes with the late meditation if I'm tired I will just do five or ten minutes and then go to bed. If you are not truly getting restful sleep, this, not the meditation could be making you irritable.

Not to say meditation won't make you irritable; as blockages are encountered and 'purified' irritability may arise in the short term and dissolve.

I too am a parent and understand the pressures and time constraints you face daily. I can also attest to the longer term benefits of meditation and the difference it has made in my relationships within my family. I find calmness in the chaos of raising an autistic child. I find I listen before I react to my taciturn teenager. After nineteen years of marriage I am find new opportunities to express my love for my wife. She is responding in kind! After fifteen months I feel I am just scratching the surface; two months might not be enough of a trial period, IMO.

My advice is to wade through the sleepiness and irritability for a while and see how you emerge on the other side. You only want to do one sit? Then do that. You are the Guru. As things smoothen out your desire to do more will surface.

You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  10:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I second Dogboy's opinion.
It makes sense to cut back if you've hit a rough patch, especially if you're struggling to get enough rest. It may be time for your to reassess the situation in light of the fact that yoga is for the long haul. And there can be challenges along the way. Is the goal ahead enticing enough for you? If you're looking for short term gains, then this is not for you. This is your test.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2014 :  04:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cut your sessions back to 10 mins but do not take a break. It is hard to build a routine and it is early times for you yet, so do not break your routine.

Have you started SBP yet? SBP clears the channels for the energy to flow smoothly. Try that.

Enjoy your practices.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2014 :  06:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way Buz, forcing the mantra can cause irritability. New meditators can be a little too conscientious like that.
In case you decide to stick to the practice, remember that thoughts and emotions arising in meditation are part of the process. We do not encourage them, but when they do come up allow your attention to be with them. By doing so, the tensions that propelled these thoughts in the first place can come to the surface an dissipate. If you block this process during meditation, tensions can carry on into activity and make you irritable. Also important to take the 10 minutes rest after each meditation session.
All the best
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000