Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep meditation leading to siddhis and insights?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Filipo1

Switzerland
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2014 :  05:21:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear DMers,

Straight questions to long-time practioners:

Apart from developing tranquility of the mind and sress release/purifications,

1.did anyone here experience any "paranormal" capacity in relation to the practice of DM only excluding all other techniques as it seems many of the forumers have a rather rich mix of different techniques in their daily routine.

2.can the long-term practice of DM lead to insight realizations similar to vipassana?

Filipo1

Switzerland
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2014 :  12:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I owe you a more presentable version of my message

Dear DMers,

Straight questions to long-time DM practitioners:

Apart from developing tranquility of the mind and allowing stress release / purification of the nervous system,

1.did anyone here experience any "paranormal" capacity in relation to the practice of DM only, excluding all other techniques as it seems many of the forumers have a rather rich mix of different techniques in their daily routine?

2.can the long-term practice of DM lead to insight realizations similar to those achievable through vipassana?

From my current understanding I consider siddhis as the signs and insights as the fruits of a true spiritual way.
So basically: is DM a true spiritual way or is it merely what the TM movement is marketing on its side: just a way lo live a more balanced life, which is in itself of course a very honorable goal to start with but completely deprived, at least publicly, of any specific spiritual implication.

Edited by - Filipo1 on Oct 12 2014 1:00:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  05:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Filipo,

AYP is very much a system of techniques for spiritual transformation. We do not put emphasis on Siddhis which are considered a side-effect of the practices and not the goal. Emphasis is placed on balanced daily life where our choices and actions are based in stillness and the outflow of Divine Love /compassion. Yes, DM will bring you to the same experiences as Vipassana... even more efficiently if the other practices such as Spinal Breathing is added.

Sey

Edited by - SeySorciere on Oct 13 2014 05:19:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Filipo1

Switzerland
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  4:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your feedback SeySorciere.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  06:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Filipo

Sey has given you a very good answer, so I'm only chipping in to say 'hello'

What the advanced ones say is that practitioners tend to lose interest in siddhis by the time they become advanced enough to have them in their grasp.
I'm not that advanced myself. The only 'powers' I have notoced are broader attention span, better focus and memory and better emotional balance, but you can hardly call these paranormal.

What I am convinced of is that the journey is worth it with or without the siddhis.
Go to Top of Page

Filipo1

Switzerland
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  09:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks BlueRaincoat.

To be honest I was expecting straight replies to straight questions, rather than a kind of way to evade the subject's marrow in particular regarding the siddhis.
But I will take these non-answers for an answer
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  10:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Light is light my friend.

It doesn't matter if you use AYP or Vipassana. Once light is going through you things start to happen. You won't get anyone talking about it open. Maybe, I would be suprised if they spoke up. It is not the reason for any of this. It is a blessing to help people. I help to help, not to brag about how I help people... understand??

I am in no way advanced. Not here, nope... just saying...

You know what the biggest Siddhis has been for me? The heart just keeps expanding, becomes more and more open. This moment I feel like crying from the sweetness of it.

Work on your practice. Work on your heart and let go of everything else.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  4:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Filipo, may I ask what makes you interested in siddhis?
As far as I know, yoga traditions are pretty much in agreement on the issue - siddhis are not the point of yoga practice. I believe practitioners are warned that directing their efforts towards attaining siddhis leads to a dead end, as the goal is somewhere else.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  01:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Filipo

The answers to both questions are Yes.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

monito

Afghanistan
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2014 :  10:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Siddhi= perfection

Who no want perfection here ?

If you can't listen the anahata sound, you cant meditate, so you can't get any siddhi .
Go to Top of Page

Filipo1

Switzerland
21 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2014 :  07:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BlueRaincoat,

Truely I do not see why the topic of siddhis should necessarily be treated as a kind of taboo, a bit like money for some people. This good old basic judeo-christian instilled feel of guilt for all that is attractive: pleasure, enjoyment, wealth and the power to cultivate them at will. Let's rather put light on this! I guess this is also part of the way to admit that as long as one is not fully enlightened yet, it is abosultely normal to feel this way. Basically I consider the siddhis as tools that could help to master the circumstances of my life, provided that the way to attain them also implies the realization to some degree of the ideal of ahimsa.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2014 :  09:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Filipo1:

Not a taboo. It is just that you are coming at siddhis from an ineffective and hazardous angle, i.e., from the angle of personal use, which can never be true siddhis. From that angle you are talking about the black arts -- personal use of powers, a different path altogether, leading to all sorts of problems. Not siddhis.

True siddhis come naturally and gradually with the cultivation of abiding inner silence (via deep meditation) and releasing (surrendering) intentions and desires in that stillness that we are (samyama). Then divine flow comes of its own accord, and all of life is supported, often in miraculous ways (siddhis). But we are personally doing nothing but surrendering our intentions in stillness as we keep active in life, and the divine flow takes care of the rest. We may not get what we want, but we definitely get what we need.

So if you want siddhis, and especially the many small miracles that come in daily life, like nearly always being able to find a parking space close to the door, then meditate daily and learn samyama, the art of letting intentions go in stillness. Then you will have siddhis (and insights) galore, but not necessarily the ones you want. Definitely the ones you need in each moment. That is how it works.

Siddhis are not something we "get." To have them, and enlightenment itself, we will automatically be giving them away every day. It is counter-intuitive for the acquiring mind, and enlightenment for the soul. If we are regular in practice, the mind gradually learns to come along to bask in great joy and freedom from suffering. That is how it is.

All the best on your path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Filipo1

Switzerland
21 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2014 :  3:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks Yogani for your clarifications and encouragements.
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2014 :  3:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Filipo1:

Not a taboo. It is just that you are coming at siddhis from an ineffective and hazardous angle, i.e., from the angle of personal use, which can never be true siddhis. From that angle you are talking about the black arts -- personal use of powers, a different path altogether, leading to all sorts of problems. Not siddhis.

True siddhis come naturally and gradually with the cultivation of abiding inner silence (via deep meditation) and releasing (surrendering) intentions and desires in that stillness that we are (samyama). Then divine flow comes of its own accord, and all of life is supported, often in miraculous ways (siddhis). But we are personally doing nothing but surrendering our intentions in stillness as we keep active in life, and the divine flow takes care of the rest. We may not get what we want, but we definitely get what we need.

So if you want siddhis, and especially the many small miracles that come in daily life, like nearly always being able to find a parking space close to the door, then meditate daily and learn samyama, the art of letting intentions go in stillness. Then you will have siddhis (and insights) galore, but not necessarily the ones you want. Definitely the ones you need in each moment. That is how it works.

Siddhis are not something we "get." To have them, and enlightenment itself, we will automatically be giving them away every day. It is counter-intuitive for the acquiring mind, and enlightenment for the soul. If we are regular in practice, the mind gradually learns to come along to bask in great joy and freedom from suffering. That is how it is.

All the best on your path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Sounds good, dear Yogani, and I'm happy to read this.

I came to spirituality and yoga through a haphazard mix of personal interests and ways I'd been influenced in my life. Some of my early interest came from paganism and Wicca, which friends of mine had (and still do) practiced. These witches basically focus on the "black arts," as you call them, and many unapologetically worship Satan (Most do not, and no, I was not affiliated with those people who do). Fortunately, I had some bizarre and negative experiences earlier on with lovers who had dabbled with spells and manipulation for personal gain, and they ended up paying some steep prices. When I finally prayed to Ganesha and surrendered my heart and will to God, my interest in personal powers was pretty much taken.

Not to brag--I still like to think of how effective (and impotent) I am every now and then! Sometimes I fear that I am experiencing my own dire penance for my intellectual arrogance by losing my mind.

Anywho, I'm working on being more optimistic. Small miracles abound... And the big one is all around us. When I celebrated my first year sober in front of a room of AA members, they asked, customarily, "How'd you do it?" I told them, "The miracle is all around you." Let's count our blessings and give them away!

Edited by - Anima on Dec 02 2014 4:02:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2014 :  4:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Anywho, I'm working on being more optimistic. Small miracles abound... And the big one is all around us. When I celebrated my first year sober in front of a room of AA members, they asked, customarily, "How'd you do it?" I told them, "The miracle is all around you." Let's count our blessings and give them away!

Happy anniversary, Anima, and many more!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2014 :  8:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anima Deorum

When I celebrated my first year sober in front of a room of AA members, they asked, customarily, "How'd you do it?" I told them, "The miracle is all around you."

Superb.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  02:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
bravo AD
@ Yogani...yes i always find parking spots in unbelievably crowded streets ..even my friends noticed it and they tell me how lucky
i am
also i noticed that lots of strange coincidences happen at the exact needed moment ....countless exemples from daily life
sometimes i know exactly how some events will happen too..
the above happens only if one is not clinging to the outcomes....daily life becomes a constant release of intentions and moment by moment you are showed how to act

Edited by - maheswari on Dec 03 2014 02:10:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  2:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I feel the Filipo1's question is OK. People are going to ask these things. And as Yogani stated certainly not taboo. As a yogi goes along on his/her path of sadhana certain 'siddhis' may come (and go), but the lasting change is what we are practicing for and that change is the realization of the Self, peace, joy, a feeling of rightness about our existence and the world. I view any siddhi as a signpost, "yes, you're practice is fruitful" sort of thing. Not for the siddhi itself but knowing that at some point the glimpses of Self I get will eventually be permanent, in this life or the next. Can't speak for other here, I haven't heard that anyone is walking through walls or flying. Some here can see chakras and the spinal nerve clearly. Not me. My own experience is sometimes seeing auras just a bit, and the amrita/soma process being very noticeable at times to the point where my head and fingertips become quite perfumed with it. And frankly other than as signpost and a very brief "wow!" amusement it becomes no big deal and I get on with things. I mean after all, what would I do with that? Run around and show folks that my fingertips perfume themselves?? What the heck! I'm just keeping my eyes on the prize, that big clear blue sky. Way more valuable than any siddhi.
Go to Top of Page

NewbieGG

Bulgaria
52 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  3:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi , Filipo

I am not a long time practioner so I don't know about flying and stuff. However I think it is not really important as there will be no use of it .

What I know is that your life will improve in all aspects from health to wealth . The stream of coincidences ( small miracles as Yogani said ) will start work for you . Sometimes you will be amazed how every little whim of you is satisfied in the most unexpected way

But these fireworks are temporary because in the process of change your needs will be greatly reduced - small amounts of fresh food and pair of soft clothes and at some point you will not have much desires to be satisfied

Edited by - NewbieGG on Dec 03 2014 5:54:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  02:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been playing with time.

I definitely get the impression I can stretch it and shrink it to suit my needs.I merely drop an intention, then get of the way. The key is not to watch the clock.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  10:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely keep an open mind when it comes to siddhis.

Bear in mind that people's expectations have been influenced by the hype that has surrounded siddhhis for hundreds/thousands of years. Take levitation for instance. If you look at this BBC documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw8BV4VFOwM
from minute 27 onwards, you will see a contraption that has been used by fake Indian yogis to give the illusion that they levitate.
In this day and age when everybody carries a camera on their mobile phone, if people could truly levitate, shouldn't we see some caught unawares on camera and posted on youtube? I am yet to see a credible one.

The point I'm trying to make is this - While advanced yoga gives some abilities that the average person does not posses, I think we'd better keep an open mind about exactly what these abilities are.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  2:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Levitation is a real siddhi. I have a first hand account from a trusted friend. Just rather uncommon.
Go to Top of Page

NoDogma

USA
123 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  5:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by NewbieGG
The stream of coincidences ( small miracles as Yogani said ) will start work for you . Sometimes you will be amazed how every little whim of you is satisfied in the most unexpected way

as the saying goes :

But it always takes more time (than expected) to reach the airport before I can fly.

Edited by - NoDogma on Dec 04 2014 7:30:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2014 :  4:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
filipo, siddhis are byproducts and they do come but it is part of the unfolding of the divine in daily life. reading others thoughts, knowing things before they happen, etc. best to let it all go with a smile rather than to make trouble for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2014 :  11:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm having a bit of a siddhi crisis. I'm not able (or willing?) to support myself. I don't know what my self is, and do not have any sense of it from any moment to the other. I am experiencing a lot of siddhis, and actually, I can become sad and delusional.

It's difficult for less spiritual people to be around me. So what, be a bum and wash their dishes? great, great. Go back to teaching hollow politics at a university? I can't. Talk about myself more? Sure, why not. Actually, I hate to do that in everyday life. This is my outlet. It's better to just do rather than think or speak.

Why am I here at AYP, in this town, being rejected from so many careers, relationships, and opportunities? Why am I even listening to anyone anymore?

Dunno.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2014 :  12:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Anima
We know you have been going through a rough patch and - I think I can speak on behalf or more than myself - you have been in our prayers. But what makes you think this is a siddhi crisis?

quote:
Originally posted by Anima Deorum
So what, be a bum and wash their dishes?

If you could "wash their dishes" and do it with the joy of serving others, you would be a very enlightened spiritual being. You know that in the world of spirituality the hierarchy is reversed - the ones who serve are at the top. You could be washing dishes and spreading light and peace to those around you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000