Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Siddhasana and knee pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2014 :  10:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Can anybody recommend any stretches/practices/advice that may help to relieve knee pain from Siddhasana.

Whichever foot goes under the perinium - that is the knee which hurts. Doesn't matter if it is the left or right knee.

Thank you!

Jack

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2014 :  12:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am 27 years old, generally fit and healthy, in case it is relevant.
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2014 :  4:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Jack I sit cross legged a lot and nothing relieves my aching knees and spine like an inversion table.

Hang upside down like a bat and the joints get pressure relief and I've read fluids can reenter the joint.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4378 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2014 :  5:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,

If siddhasana causes knee pain you can use a prosthetic like a rolled up sock instead of your heel. That way you can use pretty much any sitting position and still gain the same benefit as from regular siddhasana. This even works in a chair or on a meditation stool.

If you want to use siddhasana sitting cross-legged on the floor and use your heel then you may find using a cushion or two under your spine will help. By raising the spine upwards it changes the angle of the knees and so causes less pain. You need to position the cushions in a way that there is a space under your perineum for your heel to rest without there being too much pressure on the perineum. A zafu is by far the best for this as they give more support than a cushion or two which tend to be soft.

If you want to do asanas that will help you to be able to get into siddhasana without knee pain, then I would recommend the following:

Sitting toe touch,
Butterfly (badhakonasana),
Sitting, legs apart and head to the floor
Sitting, legs apart, head to one knee and then the other
camel (ustrasana)
Virasana (hero)
reclining virasana
bridge (setu bandhasana)
anjaneyasana (3 versions, arms straight up, arms back, twist to each side)

Apart from the first one these are all hip openers. With open and flexible hips it is much easier to get the knees down whilst sitting and to be able to bring the heel under the perineum at the same time. Then there is much less chance of getting pain in the knees. All of these asanas are ones that we have done on the last two U.K. retreats so you will be familiar with them.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  4:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000