Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 which leg on top in lotus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dave

USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 08 2014 :  08:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I like to meditate in lotus, but I usually have the right leg on top.

I've heard that your left leg should be on top due to the way energy flows in your body, and if you don't you could cause yourself some health problems.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 08 2014 :  3:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Switch it up.
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - May 14 2014 :  1:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I 2nd switching it up to balance left and right. I also favour one side (easier) so make a concerted effort to stretch the less flexible hip.
Go to Top of Page

Vimala

France
80 Posts

Posted - May 15 2014 :  04:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm more comfortable with the left on top
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 15 2014 :  10:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
While there may be some standard patterns, there's also exceptions (left vs right handed?), other factors (geographical location?), and complicating variables (biological sex vs gender identity, etc.) all of which point to the idea of testing left or right leg on top and seeing which feels better for you. I don't normally sit in lotus, but if it became more comfortable, I'd still switch it up, also for balance and physical reasons.
Go to Top of Page

FrankB

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  7:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankB's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Traditionally the right leg is the only one that should be placed on top for spiritual and meditative purposes. It is associated with Shiva's energy. For purposes of physical balance it is okay to switch up the legs if working with it in that context. Where is this left foot business coming from exactly?
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  8:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure whatever feels more comfortable to the individual is the best .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000