Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 How Deep Meditation works (and...Hello!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pardha

India
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  03:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I started deep meditation about 4 months ago.
My motivation for meditation is to understand the truth and reason behind everything.

I have few questions regarding working's of Deep Meditation:

1) Does any one know how the process works neurologically?
2)I observed that some thoughts arise repeating mantra they range from mundane thoughts about day to day life to some profound thoughts from my child hood. Are these the thoughts which are being cleared? If that is so what about thoughts and impressions from my previous lives how do they fit in?

I know that there is no need to understand whats happening under the hood for driving a car. But I am asking these questions due to my burning curiosity and my hope that if I know more about deep meditation I wont discontinue it like every other thing in my life.

Lastly thanks Yogani and everyone in the forums for sharing there knowledge.

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  08:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great questions. Here's some lessons on the topic:
http://www.aypsite.org/59.html
http://www.aypsite.org/195.html
http://www.aypsite.org/196.html

The mantra is a sound. Sound is vibration. Vibrations have signature qualities that resound across inner and outer space in certain ways. Deep Meditation refines the vibration of the sound so that it merges with inner silence, which is the source of all sound. Easily favoring the mantra helps peel off the layers that have grown over pure bliss consciousness underneath. Yoga is union. We are uniting sound with silence.

Mundane thoughts are layers. Profound thoughts are layers. All layers can be regarded as scenery along the trip. Sometimes we behold the grandeur of a big waterfall; sometimes we just drive by McDonalds; the only common denominator is the tranquility which penetrates all structures, regardless of their grandeur.

Hope this helps. Godspeed on your path.
Go to Top of Page

Pardha

India
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  05:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bodhitree for the reply it was very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  09:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Pardha

quote:
Originally posted by Pardha

I observed that some thoughts arise repeating mantra they range from mundane thoughts about day to day life to some profound thoughts from my child hood. Are these the thoughts which are being cleared?

I think what is being cleared emotional tension. These thought are powered by some emotional energy. Having them brought to the surface and 'listened to' (which is what the Witness does) clears that tension. The thoughts themselves don't vanish - you will still have the memory of past events, but emotional tensions are gradually cleared as we meditate, so we become quieter and calmer. A sort of psychological hygiene, at least at one level. Then of course there is the spiritual layer to it, as Bodhi Tree has pointed out.
Don't know about previous lives, I haven't seen any evidence we do reincarnate, so I'll let those who have speak about it.

I hope your meditation goes on smoothly
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  12:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueRaincoat,

Talking about reincarnation,I am reminded of an incident that occured a few years ago : There was a Danish lady seated next to me on a domestic flight in India.I started chatting with her and asked if this was her first visit to India , and so on. She responded saying that it was her first visit: that for many years before she was dreaming about her previous life when she lived in Hyderabad, in south India: that she would get clear visions about the place she lived in, her parents, brothers and sisters (she mentioned Indian names), the exact address where she lived(it was a village on the outskirts of Hyderabad). She had written to that address and got a response inviting her to their home,(the family she was born in was no longer there, but next generation relations were) and she had now mustered the courage to actually come to meet them !
Unfortunately, I did not obtain her tel. No., email ID etc. so could not follow up to find out what happened.

But I would urge you to read books written by Dr. Brian Weiss, and even better, "Journey of Souls" by Dr. Michael Newton.
Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Sep 24 2014 12:22:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  06:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Krish
Thank you for responding to my post.
I have a reason for not investing time in sifting through the evidence for and against reincarnation (evidence which is predominantly, if not entirely anecdotal, and therefore not very reliable). My reason is this: whether we have just one life or many, spiritual unfoldment is my first priority now. Believing/not believing in reincarnation would not change what I do. And if I should know the truth about reincarnation, I am sure that piece of wisdom will be given to me. As it is, I can live without knowing.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Sep 25 2014 06:45:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  08:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blue....

I agree that the fact or otherwise of rebirth is not so important as spiritual evolution, and for that AYP will be very useful in my view.
On the other hand, if all the great souls who have passed are to be believed ( and I see no reason why not, since what we currently call "science" and "scientific evidence", are, by the admission of many leading scientists themselves, following their own experience in life),it is precisely what all we have done and not done in previous lives(what they call "samskaras") that clog our neurobiology that are cleared up through deep meditation, resulting in "spiritual unfoldment".
I was reading a book, "Proof of Heaven" by a leading Neuro-surgeon, Dr. Eben Alexander, in which he says that "after the spiritual unfoldment that happened to him when he suddenly contracted a very rare form of gram-positive meningitis and went into a 7 day coma which all the big neuro-doctors of the world who rushed to attend on him concluded he would never survive, he was compelled to throw out the window all the science he had learned in the many years it took him to become a world famous neuro-surgeon" ! I thought it was a dramatic declaration. He says he never believed in reincarnation before. I am aware this is also anecdotal.
I would urge you to read Michael Newtons books that can be downloaded free of cost, and then let me know what you think .
Krish

Go to Top of Page

Pardha

India
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  4:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Blue and Krish for answering to my post. Your replies are very helpful. Being from India Reincarnation is kind of ingrained in our thought process at least for most people. We take it as a axiom, even I have my doubts considering there is no evidence but I just take it on faith as many great yogi's said they saw their past lives.

Anyway coming back to the topic I think I have to elaborate my first question: When I said neurologically I was hoping for answer about physiologically what happens in the brain during deep meditation. Something like "Thoughts are stored in some nerve connections and using I am mantra thought these nerve bundles are opened" that sort of thing.

Sorry for my poor writing skills I hope that I conveyed my thoughts properly.

Thanks,
Pardha

Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  8:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a story of reincarnation in Ohio. May be that can help answer some of the questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWCUjx4nI98

Pardha

All the best on the DM and pranayam. Take it slowly as it can start coming out strongly. Self pace is the key.

PKJ
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  11:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
pkj,

Thanks. These videos are awesome
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2014 :  10:48:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brai...d_meditation
Go to Top of Page

Pardha

India
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2014 :  11:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bodhi Tree thanks for the link that is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Thanks pkj for the video.
Go to Top of Page

Blaskhyrk

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 :  08:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is worth to check, yes so I will do the same as taking the meditation further and making it richer is truly important.

Greetings and all the best!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000