Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Dosing off during DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IslandJewyl

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2014 :  12:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Greetings, everyone!

Firstly, much gratitude to Yogani and everyone for this place where the sharing of everyone's experiences, insights and information is so immensely helpful.

I am new to AYP and am recently attempting to return to a consistent routine of DM. I had been practicing for a brief period last year (around 5 months) but had to stop for several reasons, mostly health related. At the time, my practice consisted of 5 minutes SB, 10 minutes DM and 5 minutes rest twice a day. My question is, and I remember also having this issue last year, is that during my DM session, I would often start dosing off and would only catch myself because the movement of my head nodding forward would jerk me awake! It is akin to dosing off on a bus or train ride, haha. Is this dosing off during DM okay? Once I jerk awake, I do try and easily favor the mantra again, but it can be a little unsettling and I wonder whether it may be defeating the 'effectiveness' of the DM session, thus warranting an effort to keep from dosing off, if that is possible.

I would appreciate any comments or advice. Thank you!

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2014 :  06:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi IslandJewyl,
this is normal. It just means you needed to go a little deeper in your purification and that DM is doing it's job.
It is good to return to the mantra when you become conscious of dosing off as you have said.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2014 :  07:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Or maybe you just need more and/or better sleep during night? I also have the same "problem" when I do sitting practices after a night of poor/short sleep, but never have it when my sleep is fine.
Go to Top of Page

IslandJewyl

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2014 :  5:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Mykal and Ecdyonurus!

I will keep both your comments in mind and carry on with the procedure of just easily returning to the mantra and perhaps aim for an earlier bedtime. I just feel so relaxed during meditation that it seemed to be coaxing me to sleep (if I were laying down, I think I'd just drift off). It could very well be that I need more quality sleep at night or my body is asking for a nap during the day!
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2014 :  6:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum!
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2014 :  03:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi IslandJewyl,
maybe reading these lessons might shed some more light: 17, 158.
There are a few more in the main lessons that mention sleep, but they basically say the same.
Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2014 :  10:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello IslandJewly,

Welcome to the forums. I went through that myself. It's just a phase and will pass.I used to feel rested and refreshed usually after dozing off during deep meditation and samyama.

Love,
Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

IslandJewyl

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2014 :  11:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you again Mykal for pointing me to those lessons! I had been searching the forums and hadn't thought to review the early lessons that I read last year I'll do a refresher on those as well as the DM Book.

And thank you too, Sunyata for sharing your experience! My DM went smoother today -- I did doze off once but didn't let it concern me as it is considered part of the meditation. I do notice that my thoughts become more visual (than spoken?) and dreamlike before I doze off and lose track. Hoping to get the hang of this in good time!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2014 :  09:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That phase hasn't returned yet, may be it will (who knows). Yes, you are correct- it's all scenary. Don't try to cling onto it or over analyze it.I know it's hard not to. I do that too at times and post them here . It's all part of the process. As Yogani says- judge your progress by how your daily life feels.

Love,
Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 01 2014 09:56:58 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000