Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Must my eyes be at the center of the brows or...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raminanda

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2014 :  2:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
can they just be comfortably rolled upwards. By rolled upwards I mean just that, as if both eyes were looking towards the heavens. The reason I ask is for months I was doing the last one (eyes just rolled upwards) and I had great success in following the spinal nerve from top to bottom. Then I reread the instructions and they specify between the brows. When I changed to between the brows it became SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult to follow the spinal nerve and I noticed the eyes wanted to follow the attention as I went up & down the spinal nerve. Then I would have to reset them to the brow center and would lose my focus on the spinal nerve area. This did not happen when the eyes were just rolled up to the heavens. And I do know that we are not physically looking through the eyes but rather just using the location as a parking space. I was able to get quite detailed in my visualization with the eyes rolled upwards. Is it just a matter of forcing myself to learn this location? Does it matter that much? I also got a crosseyed sensation when focusing between the brows. Thank all of you in advance for your help. Perhaps feedback from someone who has been doing this for a while would really help.

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2014 :  05:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi raminanda,

Thanks for your question. I tried what you call "looking toward the heavens," and my eyes naturally went crossed during SBP. Then I re-read the Sambhavi Mudra lesson here, and what struck me is the parts I italicized:

"The sensation of furrowing at the point between the eyebrows is where the eyes will go. This will involve some raising and some centering of the eyes. We keep the eyes comfortably closed as we do it. We don’t force the eyes. In the beginning, they may not go as far up as we would like. That is okay. Do not force them. Just let them gravitate naturally toward the sensation of furrowing at the point between the eyebrows."

Be

Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2014 :  10:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The instructions for sambhavi, like Bewell also highlighted, also clarify that the movements are 'nothing extreme or dramatic' and 'barely physical, mostly just an intention,' which corresponds to the general interpretive difficulties of other textual translations as in Secret of the Golden Flower. To my understanding, the practices begin more physical, and transition to becoming more internal and spontaneous over the long term. I've found this to be the case at a micro scale with sambhavi where the ajna seems to give off a subtle sensation of pressure with intention alone on the upstroke of spinal breathing pranayama while the physical movements instead follow along subtly as opposed to leading as it happens before 'warming up' into the practice.
Go to Top of Page

chintan_oza2000@yahoo.com

India
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2014 :  1:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000