Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 SBP - Is there a "right kind" of energy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  9:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Today, during my evening session of SBP, I approached it a little differently than I normally do. I used more restraint and slowed my breathing to a level just beneath my "comfort threshold". This resulted in a bit of clunkiness as my nervous system was adapting, but also to a tingle of energy going up and down my spine that felt quite unlike the subtle (bordering on imagined) energy currents I've felt previously. This time it felt a little cold & warm at the same time -- similar to the energy rush you experience when adrenaline is flowing through your veins, albeit more subtle.

I was happy for the experience as it felt like a step forward at the time, but I don't want to take things in the wrong direction. I'm uncertain as to whether this effect is what I'm going for or not. Could anyone shed some light on this?

Much thanks,

Greg

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  10:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg

Although you seemed to get more of an effect with restraining your breathing (which is great), I would not do it deliberately. I say this because by restricting your breathing you have been doing a bit of Kumbhaka. This is a very powerful practice and needs to be done carefully. It's best doing Kumbhaka separately, and in little amounts, so that you can measure i.e. 1 to 3 breath holds. Doing it, even though it is less intense, while Spinal Breathing, 5 -- 10 minutes might not be a good thing, and it's hard to self-pace.

So I reckon keeping these separately is best: do your Spinal Breathing nice and easy, closing your throat a little on the out breath like in the lesson.

If you want more, and you feel ready, maybe adding three repetitions of Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka before meditation?

http://www.aypsite.org/91.html

Just a thought. All the best!

Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  10:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I said I was using more restraint, I didn't mean to imply that I was holding my breath for a short duration between inhalation and/or exhalation. Not at all. Merely, that I was slowing it down to the point where, upon inhalation, I would feel a sense of discomfort and perhaps a very slight sense of panic. Although I can't recall which lesson, I remember reading that this is advised and that a little discomfort was to be expected while your system adapts. I hope I'm not mistaken on this point.

What about the type of energy I was sensing? Did it sound like the "right type"?
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  11:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Woosa's right. Kumbhaka can be very powerful.

Restraining the breath to the point of panic is a freestyle practice. Not sure what will happen. Although adrenaline commonly follows panic, so maybe there's your answer.

My advice: stop reaching. Don't look for things. Everything comes to you. These sensations will come in their own time, don't over think it or grab with your senses.

Prana is difficult to describe. It comes in different forms and is probably different for everyone. But you'll know it when you feel it.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  11:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg,

This is from lesson 41:

"Sit comfortably with back support, and close your eyes just as you do when you meditate. Now, keeping your mouth closed, breathe in and out slowly and deeply through your nose, but not to the extreme. Be relaxed and easy about it, breathing as slowly and deeply as possible without discomfort. There is no need to be heroic. Work your muscles so each breath begins in your belly and fills you up through your chest to the top of your collarbones, and then comes back down slowly." [Yogani]

So if you are experiencing discomfort, that is too slow. Speed up a bit.

The energy you describe is the movement of prana. It is sometimes felt as being hot or cold, and at times like a tingle of energy up the spine.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2014 :  09:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Man,

If you're not feeling well then it might be wrong. From my own experience I'd say that SBP is more efficient when I feel comfortable while doing it. If you feel bad when breathing slowly then let your intuition take over and balance it to the way you feel comfortable.

I've just found out that I was doing spontaneous Kumbhaka during my SBP session. However, as I said it is spontaneous and done very confortably in an irresistibly pleasurable way.

Good luck,

Rod

quote:
Originally posted by GregM

Today, during my evening session of SBP, I approached it a little differently than I normally do. I used more restraint and slowed my breathing to a level just beneath my "comfort threshold". This resulted in a bit of clunkiness as my nervous system was adapting, but also to a tingle of energy going up and down my spine that felt quite unlike the subtle (bordering on imagined) energy currents I've felt previously. This time it felt a little cold & warm at the same time -- similar to the energy rush you experience when adrenaline is flowing through your veins, albeit more subtle.

I was happy for the experience as it felt like a step forward at the time, but I don't want to take things in the wrong direction. I'm uncertain as to whether this effect is what I'm going for or not. Could anyone shed some light on this?

Much thanks,

Greg

Edited by - digofarias on Mar 28 2014 09:29:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2014 :  10:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg, I think your body is simply telling you that you have to speed up the breath cycle. If you feel discomfort, it means that the O2 or the CO2 level is not in the comfort zone anymore, which causes exactly the symptoms you describe.

It is correct to slow down the breath during SBP, but not beyond your comfort zone.

By the way, I have the same problem when I push to hard to slow down the breath. I found that the best way for me is to start SBP at an almost normal breath speed, and to just let the breath slow down by itself.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2014 :  9:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi GregM,

as some said, the best practice will be the one as practiced by the underlined part of Chriti's quote.

But if things are stable and all else is good, you can do what you have done from time to time to see if breathing slower is possible. Initial discomforts may ease down over time. If you are already at ~45-60 seconds per breath, there is no need to further slow down, this is more than enough for precise flow within the sushumna nadi.

Enjoy the breathing friend :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000