Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Clarification on Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2014 :  1:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I have a simple question. I started Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka recently and understand that the same mudras & bandhas are to be held in YMK as in SBP, but after re-reading the applicable lesson, didn't see any mention of Ujjayi breathing upon exhale. Do we practice this in YMK as well? Or does the retention serve nearly the same purpose?

Thanks,

Greg

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2014 :  3:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not super experienced with YMK, but I always did ujjayi on the exhale and somehow managed to survive

It seems fitting, since YMK is a form of pranayama. But ultimately, comfort and personal preference will vary.

My suggestion is to try it both ways (with and without ujjayi) and see how it impacts you.

Hope you find what works for you!
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2014 :  4:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've also never seen mention of restricting exhale with YMK, and have never done it as exhaled breath is recommended to be fairly smooth and relaxed. Mine's not very smooth like that, which probably means I'm straining the retention somewhat, but it also varies based on energy levels day by day.
Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2014 :  2:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good suggestion...

After experimenting both ways, I feel as though the result is more strongly felt when adhering to Ujjayi on the exhale than when not. This is more challenging, and as you mentioned, AumNaturel, energy levels will probably be a factor from day to day and may adversely affect one's ability to do so, but it's worth experimenting with.

Thanks again for the suggestion and for the responses.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000