Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 siddhasana versus mulabandha
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  12:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Can siddhasana be considered a superset of mulabandha? Can it replace mulabandha completely? What are the specific advantages of the two.

Siddhasana i find requires lesser effort and is more stimulating of the two. Can siddhasana replace mulabandha completely or are there any advantages that will be missed if mulabandha is eliminated. Doing both at at time seems difficult. Is it just a matter of getting used to? Does anyone here does both at a time?

Thanks in advance!
Near

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  08:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Near
I do both, The mulabanha is just a very slight flexing of the muscle there and for me just seems to occur naturally while doing spinal breathing, my siddhasana is achieved with the use of a rubber ball which makes it all quite easy. I think its good to remember that there shouldn't have to be any effort with these practices they should be pleasurable rather than a problem. If and when you are happy and comfortable in siddhasana just try twitching that small area just in front of the anal sphincter the sensation is sexual but slightly different as it is in a slightly different location, your body and mind just want to do it simply because it is so pleasurable.

Richard

Edited by - Richard on Jul 19 2006 09:52:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  11:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. Is it better to sit on a bed or other soft surface when you use the ball for siddhasana?
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  11:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience,

Siddhasana is different than mulabandha. In mulabandha you draw the energy upwards. In siddhasana the energy is taken everywhere in the body. Siddhasana replaces mulabandha, since it has a more refined effect.

This is just my experience though. It may be different from AYP protocol, so if that's the case, listen to AYP.

Edited by - Scott on Jul 19 2006 11:23:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  2:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nearoanoke

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. Is it better to sit on a bed or other soft surface when you use the ball for siddhasana?

Yes definitely better. Just practice twitching the perineum when you are relaxing outside of practices until you feel that verry pleasant sexual sensation there, it is quite different that the normal sexual sensation at it seems to want to go up rather than down. If you caqnt move the perineum start with the anal sphincter you will find it in the end and be able to twitch it without moving the anal part.

Richard

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  07:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Near,
Siddhasana will increase your sexual energy and mulabandha (which also increases your sexual energy) along with sambhavi will help pull this energy up... and when done during spinal breathing this brings the energy up and down in our spinal nerve. If holding on to mulabandha is hard, you could try the asvini mudra. Yogani has it in the big AYP book and in lesson# 55.

Edited by - Shanti on Jul 20 2006 10:55:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  11:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Richard,

Holding on to the flex of the anal sphincter muscle or perineum is somewhat difficult and may be it will change with practice.

Thanks for the link shanti

-Near
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000