Evolution of samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  1:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the pre-thought feeling is like a lurching or a knee-jerk reaction (defense mechanism) located somewhere in the organs. It's like an alarm that's saying: something is not right--I'm going to be threatened. Maybe it is true, maybe it is not. Or it can also be an excessive compulsion to attack, which may not be necessary. In either case, letting go (samyama) will reveal the truth, maybe not instantly, but inevitably.

But panic, anxiety, anger, resentment, etc. (these pre-thought feelings) are pointing me in a direction of change. The change might be abiding in more inner silence and recognizing my lack of control in the situation. But letting go doesn't just result in a passive acceptance; it can also result in a call to action. For me, there's certain habits and behaviors that need to be refined, and that will require action. So, I just remember that by mentally letting go, I am also allowing the opportunity for stillness to move me--even if it's in an unfamiliar direction.

Much love to you too. Keep shining.
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2013 :  10:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Hi, my name's Tom, and you call me alcoholic."

I've been addicted to every thought and every modality, with no sense of duration, even in retrospect. That is to say, I'm not really addicted to anything, since I have no sense of identity, except living stories, or denying them. Perhaps narrative is my fancy? Essentially, I'm neither here nor there. I am nothing and nowhere. And really, I have no clue what this means in the scheme of my spiritual path.

All I can say is that I must look at my life spiritually, rather than internalizing more of the blunt instruments of western decrees. Their prognosis is not good for me, whatever I am (they are not sure if I exist or not). Maya rupa; how splendid are all the vicissitudes of looking instead of seeing. Thinking and identity are perishable and divisible; consciousness and being are eternal and indivisible. But I often feel sadly that all I grasp is the false knowledge of change, especially in whatever phantasmal view of myself I indulge at any given moments, which, too, are divisible.

"Who sees diversity and not the unity wanders on from death to death."

Thank you for sharing honestly, Kami. I will try to extract something genuine from my disguised ramblings.
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  12:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is just an awesome practice. I got to start trying this....thank you Bodhi Tree.

quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

Splendid. A very coherent and realistic appraisal on the samyama process. This resonates with my practice.

In addition to the baseline samyama practice post Deep Meditation, I also do something I call "bundling". If during the normal waking hours, I get frustrated about something, I let my mind run unabated until it reaches either a peak point of friction, or a convenient moment of pause. At this point, I reduce and "bundle" the thought-feeling stream into a simple sutra and release it, following the normal 15-second rhythm. This has worked well for me because I let my mind "vent" and then use the raw energy as fuel to be refined by the process of samyama. Consequently, there is less repression and more integration/transformation. Any topic is fair game, and it's open season to let stillness start mowing down the obstructions. The stillness monster just munches on all the raw fertilizer of raw emotion. His appetite is insatiable. He's a true dragon that I've befriended and that continues to bail me out of potentially misguided situations.

Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  6:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing, living, radiance... So you all see it, too? It is brighter than whitest clouds and gentler than lightest rain.

Then I must share as well.

Brightest summer
in memory:
Om to clouds,
strangers’ greetings.

Sun of light,
Sun of love,
Sun shines life
into the dove.

She lays eggs
into her nest,
made by earth
and winged breast.

Youth to hatch
and chirp and feed,
springing up from
Litha’s seed.
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2013 :  1:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Anima,

Thank you for sharing your gift of poetry, sincerity and beauty.. So very honored to share this space with you, my friend.

Much love to you.
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2013 :  2:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Samyama in inquiry - and endless falling

It is fascinating how samyama becomes an automatic 24/7 thing, permeating all thoughts and actions, and bringing one back to stillness at the slightest wandering from it. This cannot be explained in words. At all. I'm beginning to understand that sahaja samadhi = sahaja samyama (sahaja = natural, spontaneous).

These days, in every moment there are four things happening simultaneously: if interacting with someone, say while talking, there is simultaneous sharp focus on the other's words, my own inner "workings" (rising and falling of any of my own interpretations of what is being said in a samyama fashion, resting again and again in stillness), awareness of witnessing it all, and awareness of awareness. A silent, unspoken sutra that goes on any time the awareness of awareness shifts is - who is this I that knows? All this is so subtle that putting it in words takes away the sublime-ness of it all. Although writing it down gives it a temporal flow, the arising of that subtle inquiry and returning to the "I" are instantaneous. And explosive, often accompanied by a massive expansion in the heart into pure radiance.

No practice stands alone of course. Perhaps it is my current combination of practices that aids this ability to look within, which is exquisite and absolutely beautiful - even as thoughts arise in the mind, there is simultaneous "seeing" of their shadows, roots, and flowering implications. They all seem to arise in the center of the chest. And even as this awareness arises, there is a sense of falling away of it all, with nothing left but "I am".

Samyama is said to result in miracles. Gosh, such miracles!!

Edited by - kami on Aug 04 2013 2:09:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2014 :  07:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread kami, thank you

Have skimmed down through most of it and will return for a more in dept discovering of samyama and it's applications.

Go to Top of Page

karmic

India
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2014 :  10:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Kami and other friends,

Your post about your development of Samayama practice is quite inspiring. I have very recently started practising it and I do only two words/sutra- "Love" and "successful business" . Needless to say that Im going through a bad phase in business and would like to make every possible effort- in physical and spiritual realm, to turn it around.

Do you think it is a valid sutra to practise?

Please guide..
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2014 :  6:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karmic

Your post about your development of Samayama practice is quite inspiring. I have very recently started practising it and I do only two words/sutra- "Love" and "successful business" . Needless to say that Im going through a bad phase in business and would like to make every possible effort- in physical and spiritual realm, to turn it around.

Please guide..

Hi karmic, the general recommendation, as far as I remember, is to develop the practice of samyama using the nine sutras in the lessons. These have been developed as a set to maintain some sort of balance in one's system. For instance when I started first I just did "love" only. This had quite a dramatic overloading effect and whilst it was a nice lovey feeling of sitting on the couch with all this love being experienced, it also left me not feeling like doing anything including working and jobs around the house etc. Once the nine were practiced it all balanced out.
Would suggest you get established in the nine recommended sutras first for balance and then maybe add you're business one.

Without checking the lessons I think that is the recommendation. You could check yourself or maybe someone else would know for sure.
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2014 :  10:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karmic

Please guide..

Hi karmic,

Thank you for reading.

Do you have a regular meditation practice? Would you mind sharing what your practices are? This is because samyama is the technique of releasing intentions into inner stillness. Essentially, it is about taking an intention/desire and giving it up to the Universe to manifest it the way It wants and we need. Thus, the AYP method of samyama is to take up sutras with no qualifiers and to release them. Thus, it is just "love", not "romantic love", "health", not "heart health" etc. When we release it, we simply trust that inner silence (aka Universe/God) will manifest it exactly the way it is needed for us. We don't give God instructions on how to do Her job.

Thus, the effectiveness of samyama is going to be directly proportional to the degree of inner silence. Meditation is used to cultivate inner silence (samyama will also deepen inner silence). It is also inversely proportional to clinging. If I desperately want love and love only in a specific way, I will be closed off to seeing love appear in 1001 other ways. If you picture successful business to be only a certain way, samyama will be dicey.

How about using "abundance" instead? Let the Universe shower you with abundance in ways you need it? Perhaps your business is meant to flourish in different ways.. Perhaps it is meant to fail so you can explore something very cool.. Give up control of what the outcome should be. Become fluid with samyama - that is the miracle of it. The hidden key!!

Much love.

PS: "love" is a great sutra to begin and sustain forever for samyama practice. If there is only one sutra one can practice, I'd recommend love.

PPS: for anyone going through financial troubles, I highly recommend mantra sadhana with Goddess Lakshmi's beeja mantra, Shreem. If drawn to it, try "Shreem" japa in samyama style - take it up and release in stillness, anywhere from 9, 21, 48 or 108 times.
Go to Top of Page

karmic

India
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  01:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Sparkle and Kami,

Your feedbacks are quite thoughtful and stimulating.

@SPARKLE
Honestly speaking, Im like "testing waters" with Samayama practise and hence started with just two of them- one "Love" which is universal in appeal and another "business success" which is totally personal in flavour.

At this stage, Im considering balance more from inflow vs outflow (or generation vs discharge)point of view and not in terms of "a set of good qualities". So if love is empowering me from inside, my daily work is creating opportunity to discharge it to maximum number of people through my interaction with them at various levels.

Also being new to meditation field, I guess it would take some time before I reach a fine level of perception where qualities like "radiance" or "unity" will be inherently desired.

@KAMI

Im new to meditation field. May be 7 months of actual practise, and add 3-4 months of groundwork earlier, so in total 1 year max. I've mainly done "do-nothing" practise during this period.

Today is my 28th day with AYP and I introduced samayama on 23rd day of practise :)

I fully agree that adding qualifiers is meaningless to universal principles of Love , Unity, etc. but as I intent to practice one sutra which is purely personal/specific in nature, I thought it would be wise to second views of practitioners here on how to make it more effective.

I did not include "abundance" so as to avoid any confusion were any effects to manifest. Also, if "love" seem to work and other not , then definitely "abundance" would replace it. ( meaning universal principle to take precedence over personal), so that way I intend to take up the practise.

I don't know/ expect any specific manifestations these will have in my daily life. That part I leave to the universe. If at all nothing happens, I will take it up as if enough silence have not built up in my system.

Whatever going to be the outcome, one thing is sure that I'll be the beneficiary in the end :)

Go to Top of Page

karmic

India
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  01:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S.
Kami,your advice on shreem practice during samayama makes a lot of sense to me. That's what asking guidance does to you, it opens up your thinking horizon as well, many many thanks for it again
Go to Top of Page

karmic

India
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  11:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kami,

Just for my curosity, do you have (or someone in your acquaintance) any personal experience with shreem?
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  10:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Karmic,

Please send me a PM for details if needed.

Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - May 10 2014 :  10:47:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wanted to share continued learning with samyama...

Lately, my practice routine is very simple and there is a very deep relaxation while transitioning from pranayama to meditation. It is almost like the hypnagogic state while falling asleep, with total relaxation of the body and mind stream where there is the same inability to move. Yet, there is a relaxed alertness as opposed to drowsiness. The meditation "process" itself freezes and there is just resting and allowing.

This morning, it was the same and shifting to samyama, two things seemed to happen simultaneously.. All "things" (people, creatures, rocks, planets) were seen/known as holographic objects, but the essence of all things was the same awareness being rested in. In an instant, this essence was directly known as being one with all. No words can describe this. As the sutras arose, it was known that love, radiance, unity, etc were already granted to this whole that scintillates in the essence.

While this was going on, there was a seeing clearly of the subtle body. Countless sparks of light like flows with no boundaries.. Quite magical and nothing I've ever seen anywhere..

The direct (not mental or intellectual) knowing of this oneness is overwhelming, very humbling..

Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - May 10 2014 :  10:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for mentioning God's will. My wife is great at saying "God's will" when bad stuff happens. I mostly think bad things is God saying (if He says, does, hears or even exists): "Yep. Suck it up.: I think I've always known since I was a kid I would not be able to escape 'bad things'--- who can--- but I had no idea how to make myself stronger to 'suck it up' or even attempt to handle it? Now, I do, just a little bit anyway.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000