Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Questions on Samyama and Rest Before Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr.Meditator

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  10:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I’ve been using the AYP system for a few months with great results. I have a couple of questions regarding samyama and meditation.

I understand that in samyama we think each sutra faintly and release into inner silence. What I’d like to know is when we think each sutra, are we only using the sound or vibration of the word without meaning (much like the mantra in deep meditation) or do we also intend on feeling each word. For example, with love, would I just repeat the slightest vibration of “love,” or would I think the word and also pick up a slight feeling of what love is to me without any images or mental concepts before releasing it? I know there’s no contemplation with the sutras. I just wanted to know if it’s enough to think the sound of the word or whether it’s best to also carry an intention with the word’s feeling.

My next question concerns that rest time mentioned before meditation and samyama. It comes more out of curiosity than anything else—I just think it would be interesting to hear more about it. In the lessons for meditation, the instructions before starting the mantra are to gently watch thoughts without favoring them as they go by. Then for samyama, we favor the inner silence before we start. What’s the importance of these two short transitional periods? Do they lay the groundwork for beginning the next practice?

Thanks for reading!

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1538 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  04:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Mr. Meditator,

The sutras released during Samyama do not have any vibrational impact like the mantra. The sutras are released into stillness as a subtle thought and they come 'back out' in your daily life - as stillness in action. There is behind each sutra an element of intent but again all very subtle, we do not dwell on meanings and emotions during the practice. We give room for the Universe to do its magic.

As for the rest period that happens after meditation and samyama. Before meditation there is pause of about a minute for observation of thoughts before introducing the mantra and yeah, that would be to help you release one practice and relax into the next.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Meditator

USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 04 2014 :  3:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Sey.

I know I haven't posted in this topic for a few months, but I think I still have a question that needs more clarification...

Lesson 150 talks about picking up the subtle meaning of each sutra and then releasing it, but Lesson 317 notes it's unnecessary to convey meaning in samyama because our inner silence naturally understands our language...

So should I repeat each sutra without putting attention on meaning at all, or should I be coming to and releasing a faint idea of each word's meaning?
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 05 2014 :  01:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello Mr Meditator
this paragraph of lesson 150 is clear:
quote:
In your easy silence, pick up, just once, the fuzziest feeling of the word "Love" in your own language. Don't deliberately make a clear pronunciation, or mental images of this or that scene or situation that represent Love to you. Just have a faint remembrance of Love, and then let go into your silence, the easy silence you are in as you pick up the faint meaning of Love. Don't contemplate Love or analyze it during samyama. Don't think about it at all. Just come to it once in a faint, subtle way, and then let go into silence. It is a subtle feeling of Love we are coming to, nothing more, and letting it go. Like that.

the feel (not meaning) is enough for inner silence
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Meditator

USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 05 2014 :  8:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, maheswari.

"Feel" doesn't mean emotion or how the concept of each sutra makes me feel, right? (For example: I wouldn't intentionally feel what love or abundance feels like to me during the love or abundance sutras?) Does it mean just picking up the subtle thought of the sound of each sutra, similarly to the use of the mantra deep meditation (without the non-stop repetitions, of course)?

I apologize for being meticulous, but I want to make sure I understand correctly.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 06 2014 :  02:40:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No it is not a mantra at all, it is a sutra. It is a building block of the universe. These are patterns. Ones wed like to cultivate. We pick up the sutra and we set it down.

We just pick up the essence of the sutra we do not explore it. We draw it towards us and release it. Its entirely natural when inner silence is predominant. Until then its not as useful and daily meditation and pranayama is recommended.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Meditator

USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 06 2014 :  4:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input, tonightsthenight.

I understand that a sutra is not the same as a mantra. Never mind my previous comparison of the sutra to the mantra. Let me try to explain...

Here's what I understand about samyama: We determine what each sutra means to us before we practice. During samyama, we forget about meaning and we pick up each sutra and release it into inner silence, where our attention stays for fifteen seconds. Then we pick up the next sutra. The releasing is what comes easy for me.

Here's what I'm unsure about: When we spend that fraction of a second on each sutra, are we gently favoring just the subtle sound of the sutra, or do we need to feel some connection to the concept of each sutra, without putting attention on intellectual meanings. In other words, when I come to the sutra "radiance," do I need to gently favor what radiance feels like to me, or do I just need to gently favor the subtle sound, before I release into inner silence?

I understand a sutra is not vibrational like a mantra. What I'm wondering is: is a basic knowledge of what each sutra means to me outside of the practice enough for it to make an impact, or do I need to bring some "feeling" into each sutra when I use them during samyama?

When I practice samyama, I repeat each sutra, gently favoring the fuzzy sound of each word, and then I release into inner silence. I experience some energy when I practice, so I know I must be doing something right. In daily life I feel really good. I'm wondering if I'm understanding the procedure correctly.

Thanks for reading.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4383 Posts

Posted - May 06 2014 :  5:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Mr. Meditator,

Yes, it is the feeling of each word (sutra) that you need to pick up and release into stillness. The feeling carries the vibration, and it is that vibration that is released in stillness. Silence amplifies the vibrational frequencies of feelings.

This is the example that Yogani gives in lesson 150 using the sutra "love":

"In your easy silence, pick up, just once, the fuzziest feeling of the word "Love" in your own language. Don't deliberately make a clear pronunciation, or mental images of this or that scene or situation that represent Love to you. Just have a faint remembrance of Love, and then let go into your silence, the easy silence you are in as you pick up the faint meaning of Love. Don't contemplate Love or analyze it during samyama. Don't think about it at all. Just come to it once in a faint, subtle way, and then let go into silence. It is a subtle feeling of Love we are coming to, nothing more, and letting it go. Like that." [Yogani]

Christi

Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - May 06 2014 :  5:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lol,

Is it the fainstest feeling of the thought of the sutra or is it a physical feeling of Love that I am letting go?

So, am I barely thinking the word love and letting it go or of the feeling of love? If it is the feeling of the word love then someone needs to help me feel Akasha
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 07 2014 :  01:53:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
"Feel" doesn't mean emotion or how the concept of each sutra makes me feel, right? (For example: I wouldn't intentionally feel what love or abundance feels like to me during the love or abundance sutras?) Does it mean just picking up the subtle thought of the sound of each sutra, similarly to the use of the mantra deep meditation (without the non-stop repetitions, of course)?

the second option dont think, dont imagine ,dont visualize, just say it/ release it and inner silence takes care of the rest
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - May 07 2014 :  10:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you my friend
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Meditator

USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 07 2014 :  5:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe I understand now..."feel" is the sound of the sutra, not the emotion behind it. Thank you for your help, maheswari.

Christi, is that what you were saying as well?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000