New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  11:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try it out...I'm aiming to get down to "1". I think by the time I reach it, my boredom will have shot me into the highest state of ultimate absolute pure enlightenment ever known to man.

-Scott
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  10:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Any trouble sleeping I have had has been well solved by a cup of chamomile tea right before bed.

Interestingly, I have not had many problems sleeping (if any) since starting AYP.

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  10:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott

I'll try it out...I'm aiming to get down to "1". I think by the time I reach it, my boredom will have shot me into the highest state of ultimate absolute pure enlightenment ever known to man.

-Scott

I think you'll fall asleep first, unfortunately.

Oh, and no cheating now. Remember to 'write' nice and slowly too.

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  10:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott, did you try it? What number did you get down to?
Go to Top of Page

sunkar

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  12:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit sunkar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

hey all im new to the forum..really like all ur suggestions.i've been suffering from insomnia for 4 yrs now..its highly irritating and anxiety causing..! I have been on hard core medication for a while now and there are some days (cud be a whole week) where i still dont sleep..its ruining my life..Can anyone adivce on what anulom vilom of yoga breathing they do or know is good for this and wht time shud it be done..I have practiced yoga but never religiously but now I want to do the breathing bit of it everyday! Please advice !!!! The weird part is my whole life before the sudden insomnia i have slept very well..i've got everything of mine tested blood, thyroid etc and alls normal too..so i have nooo idea whts causing it..help
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  3:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunkar,
I find Anulom Vinom good before meditation or you may wish to try before sleeping.It naturally calms the mind.Another method is to chant a mantra silently as you go to sleep.Not only do you get a calming effect but also get benefit of the mantra as you sleep.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  10:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunkar and welcome to the forum!

Insomnia can be a very difficult problem. Knowing what causes it would be a big help in trying to remedy it. Did anything happen 4 years ago that you can put in connection with it? Have you tried David Obsidians BORING method of counting back from 999 described on the previous page of this thread? It seems that should be quite effective. I would also recommend that you start with AYP deep meditation if you haven't already. The inner silence developing will help the mind relax to get to sleep at night.
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  1:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Chan

I tend to have insomnia(really have no sleep the whole night) whenever I have something really important to do the next day. My mind will keep thinking unless I suppress it.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi....I used to experience these things........exercise ....whole body workout .........usually give me a really restful night.

It's worth a try
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  2:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What Nsantoo said.
Go to Top of Page

sunkar

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  1:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit sunkar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey all..is there any help reg insomnia..i have had it since a long time now 5 yrs..and have been taking seroquel,mirtazapine,zolpidem for it..its helped but i get bad episodes of not sleeping atall..and it really stresses me out and makes me anxious was wondering wht form poses and breathing of yoga is good and if anyone has tried any of it and its helped?? HELP!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  2:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey all..is there any help reg insomnia..

Yes, there's a lot here actually. And what is your opinion of it so far?

Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  01:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I am concerned as to whether you got any relief?

I was so scared at the beginning I started sleeping with my parents and then they became scared and they woke night after night until my mom almost went crazy...my other family members came to our house 3/4 of them ended up in the hospital....most of them still afraid of me.....I just thought it was just a big coincidence that occurred(ps this is a mind thing that has to be controlled)

anyway I was guided ...to my guru and my problem was solved not immediately of course over a week or two.....and thank god the spirtual path solved all my ailments(those I didn't even know I had)

if you email me (nsantoo@yahoo.com)I can tell you what remedy worked for me if you are interested...
Go to Top of Page

presence

11 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2007 :  11:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit presence's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Im new to the forum, but not new to AYP which I have followed/practiced for some time (and have been doing TM meditation and other practices for about 30 years).

I have found a variant of mantra meditation very usefull for sleeping problems.
When one cant sleep there is a "resistance" towards relaxation and stillness.
You could also say there is some (subconscious) pain/tension that is stuck.
Very often this will also show, if I try to meditate to find deep inner peace, so that I will be able to sleep afterwards.
The result for me, if I try to meditate, is that I repeate the mantra for a short time, I experience this tension or subtle pain.
What I do then, is to be mindfull of the pain (as described very well in tne latest book by Richard Moss or in books by Tolle). I use this as my main practice, but some times pick up the mantra for a while, which will then reactivate (or bring into consciousness) more of the "pain" usually on a deeper level. I then shift back to mindfulness, just watching the pain/uncomfortness in the body. This alternating between mantra and mindfulness, is to me the safest and fastest way of getting past the tension that prevented sleep.
Its actually in accordance with the TM-instruktion, where you gently put your awareness on the body if disturbing emotions or thoughts come up.
AND mindfulness meditation can be done for as long as you want - sometimes I have been doing it for 2 hours. And even if I then miss these 2 hours of sleep, I usually find myself very awake and present the following day.

Hope this can be helpful to somebody.
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  12:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Presence. Welcome to the AYP forum. We're glad you're here.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:47:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Try holding a black stone in your right hand. Maybe it's a placebo thing, but I've tried it recently and it seems to work.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  12:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Try holding a black stone in your right hand. Maybe it's a placebo thing, but I've tried it recently and it seems to work

Hi Yoda,

Where did you get that one from. I never heard that before, holding a rock or stone can certainly ground you, but I have never heard of holding a black stone to help you sleep
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  02:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had trouble sleeping for years, whether it's getting to sleep, staying asleep, getting tired at the right times, my body clock is very confused and now due to shift work I am up at 5.30 some days and working till 21:30 others (sometimes a long day where I go from 5-21:30). I have used a combination of things to help, recently what seems to be working quite well is:
I use an Apollo Golite -Sadlamp in the morning (+early afternoon if I'm tired), I try not to eat after 7 and if I do I keep it very small, I take melatonin about 30mins before I want to get to sleep, get in bed and read some self inquiry stuff, at the moment Gangaji, the diamond in your pocket, I always find that helps me to let go/relax, then I usually get quite sleepy quite fast, I lie down, do some soft / light self inquiry and drift asleep.

I have a question for other AYPers here, do you think there is anything wrong with taking melatonin spiritually speaking? Do you think it would have a negative affect on practice / evolution?

Love and zzzs
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  09:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As some pointed out many times:

Daily nadi sodhana aka alternate nostril breathing aka anulom vilom will solve the problem and even blissfully.

The reason why sleep does not happen is: the energies in the body don't enter the central channel --> physical senses continue and the inner can't absorb your grossly awareness --> no sleep.

ANB slows the energyflow in the body, opens the entrance to the centralchannel and makes the transition very easy. Sure, the main reason for ANB is not to get sleepy =P But it is a healthy sideffect that sleep problems go for good.

The reason why the energies in he body don't enter the central channel have to be observed in daytime too. Not enough physical movement and too much mental activity, stress and resistance to how daily life happens will sonner or later create imbalances and then you're stuck on the surface.
______

The second working method is: watch your thoughts and remain the watcher consciously. Let happen what happens. This too will blissfully relax the energetic flow.

Over some days both methods should give a longer lasting relief than only a one-timer.

-----

Beyond all these remedies and cures, yeah.. the movie goes on the way it goes.. so doing or not doing, solving or letting is part of the play too.. love is waiting beyond both to be discovered. Twice daily practices ftw =)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  09:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing I mentioned to a few at the retreat, that helped some they said, was, when you try to fall asleep, check where your inner gaze is? If you are looking straight ahead, slightly move your eyes into sambhavi and bring your attention inward, toward the 3rd eye. This helps me fall asleep.

I don't have any problems falling asleep, but for a while I could not fall asleep, and would do a Silva's visualizing technique to fall asleep (talked about in part above). But this got me into the habit of pulling my inner gaze toward the 3rd eye, and now, even though I don't do the visualizing anymore, my attention automatically go to the 3rd eye area when I go to sleep.
Go to Top of Page

purity

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  12:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The following techniques have worked very well with my students with sleep problems. You should give a try too

Try Left-Nostril Breath for 5 minutes before sleeping. Breath in for 3-4 sec from left nostril and breath out from right for 6-8 sec. This is a powerful way to shift from our sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight response) to our parasympathetic nervous system (rest and digest). The wonderful and surprising thing about our bodies is that we can trick them into a parasympathetic state. Simply by recreating some of the actions that occur during that state, our body will start to shift. Deep, slow breaths, which in turn cause our heart rate to decrease, which allow us to slow down and notice the tension in our body - and we are in a parasympathetic state of being.

Lie down in Savasana for 61 Points Relaxation

Begin to slow down your breathing – taking deeper inhales and longer exhales.

Become aware of your right thumb and mentally say ‘right thumb’ without moving. Bring your awareness to:

Right hand thumb, first finger, second finger, third finger, pinky finger, palm of the hand, back of the hand, wrist, lower arm, elbow, upper arm, shoulder, armpit, waist, hip, thigh, knee, calf muscle ankle, heel, top of the foot, sole of the foot, right big toe, second toe, third toe, fourth toe, fifth toe.

Now go to the left side. Become aware of the left hand thumb, first finger, second finger, third finger, pinky finger, palm of the hand, back of the hand, wrist, lower arm, elbow, upper arm, shoulder, armpit, waist, hip, thigh, knee, calf muscle ankle, heel, top of the foot, sole of the foot, left big toe, second toe, third toe, fourth toe, fifth toe.

Next move to the back of the body. Back of the head, back of the neck, right shoulder blade, left shoulder blade, right buttock, left buttock, right heel, left heel.

Now the front of the body. Top of the head, forehead, right temple, left temple, right ear, left ear, right eyebrow, left eyebrow, middle of the eyebrows, right eye, left eye, right nostril, left nostril, whole nose, right cheek, left cheek, upper lip, lower lip, both lips together, chin, neck ,right collarbone, left collarbone, right side of the chest ,left side of the chest, middle of the chest, navel, upper abdomen, lower abdomen, right leg, left leg, right arm, left arm, the whole of the head. The whole body, the whole body, the whole body.

Become aware of the body lying on the floor. Bring your awareness to the points of contact between your body and the floor. Both heels are on the floor and there is a point where they touch the floor. Now, from the top of the body. The head and the floor, the back and floor, the right hand and the floor, the left hand and the floor, the right elbow and the floor, the left elbow and the floor, the buttocks and the floor, the hamstrings and the floor, the heels and the floor. Imagine the meeting points of the body and the floor, the whole body and the floor. The body is on the floor. Become aware of the whole body, the whole body, the whole body.

By the time you might be already sleeping.

Sweet Dreams!
Purity

Edited by - purity on Nov 04 2010 12:50:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  1:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alvin & all,
I made a related post in another thread:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=8463#73111

Sweet dreams, everybody ;-)
Go to Top of Page

wonderland

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  03:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had some very bad insomnia, so I really do understand.

I was used to sleeping in until around 11am, considering...

But I got somebody to pull me out of bed every morning at 7am sharp, and no naps!

Not a nice feeling! But eventually your body clock moves 'backwards' so to speak.

Eating well and eating healthy really does help also.

Edited by - wonderland on Nov 11 2010 03:44:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  11:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have already posted on this thread but thought I would add. I have reoccurring insomnia, at the moment pretty bad, can't sleep till sunrise most nights, unless I take medication. But the medication causes drowsiness next day and I feel a slight dulling affect on my meditation.

I just did a search to re-investigate sleep hygiene etc and came across this http://www.meditationsuk.com/ . Meditation Machines!!!!!!!! Crazy! Obviously I am not looking at using it for replacing AYP practice, which has improved my life/being in general in multiple ways, but thought if it can help with sleep it would be a nice alternative to medication, which I am not keen on. Additionally, some of them have interesting additions e.g. helping psychic abilities, OBEs etc (I think that's pretty cool)!!!! (Also most of them purport to help reduce anxiety, help learning etc)

From what I can tell they use binaural beats, or binaural beats and other similar frequency stuff, and light patterns. I am familiar with binaural beats, but apart from Brion Gysin and William S. Burroughs's dream machine, I have never heard of lights being used for altering mood etc???

Has anyone used one of these, anyone got any advice about getting one? I am going to do some more research myself VIA scientific journals and RCTs but just wondering if there is any trustworthy advice here, as, as I said, one of these would be a nice alternative to meds, as I have tried pretty much all of the methods mentioned here/to me thus far, with no success.

Love and Gratitude. x
Go to Top of Page

anita

USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  2:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am generally a good sleeper but have problems when I am faced with an issue in my life that I can't stop thinking about. I prefer the way of non-drugs, like physical exercise during the day, taking a hot bath, and reading a book in bed to help me relax. But when that doesn't work and I find myself really obsessing, the drug Seroquel (prescription necessary) in very small doses (ie., 12 mg) does the trick for me. Regular meditation has over time helped me to obsess less though and to keep the things I used to obsess about more in perspective.
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  04:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi 11jono11,

There is a set of CDs called 'HEMI-SYNC", that you can buy. It has 5 CDs that can be used for relaxing you deeply and promoting sleep. These also help you get into altered states of consciousness and trance states, as a prelude to Out-of-body-exits (Astral Travel), and they really work !

Krish
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000