Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Anybody has shiftedmorning meditation time early?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  10:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been starting my morning meditation session around 6.45 am for so long. I wanted to move it an hour early so for the past few days I have been sleeping an hour early and waking up an hour early an starting the meditation at 5.45 am. Although I feel completely awaken and not drowsy while starting, I keep falling asleep during pranayama and meditation, both. This is not some purification thing, this is due to body temperature cycle thing, like jet lag. Does anyone has experience successfully shifting meditation times? This is extremely frustating, I wasted 1 hour extra in repeated pranayama/meditation attempts today and also on many other days.
There is a website "Powerfulsleep.com" that sells techniques of making sleep more effective and efficient. Anybody here bought it and used?

mufad

44 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  01:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit mufad's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi maximus,
I have shifted meditation times several times, it takes a few days for the body to get used to the new routine then it becomes natural to fall asleep early and to awake early. The early morning hours are good for meditation as nature is silent at that time.
I have not looked at the site you mention, I get good sleep after my meditation practice at night.
There is a saying, early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise,
All the best with your efforts to form the good habbit of rising early,
Mufad.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  11:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maximus

I too have shifted my meditation time. Since having the baby (4 months ago) I have been going in to work an hour earlier, so I have been getting up an hour earlier and doing practices from 5-6:30(ish) instead of 6-7:30(ish). At first I was having the same experience as you. Finding myself dozing on occassion during DM. This has stopped though. I now find myself totally awake upon arising (even though I am going to bed no earlier and getting a LOT less sleep) and not dozing at all during practices. I think it just takes a bit of time for the body to acclimatize.

I would suggest that you try (if you aren't already) to have a shower or something before you practice to ensure you are awake when starting your practices. This was going to be my next attempted solution if things hadn't smoothed themselves out after a month. They did smooth out though, so I still shower in the evenings.

Hope this helps!

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
347 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  3:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi!

I had a similar experience as Carson. I've been typically getting up around 4am, took a coue days of adjustment but now I'm wide awake and feeling good by the time I finish pranayama. I did start to doze more often in my afternoon session but I think that was due to a mantra enhancement purification. Should smooth out over time

Peace
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  4:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Maximus

"Powerfulsleep.com" that sells techniques of making sleep more effective and efficient. Anybody here bought it and used?

Pierre Fluchaire (Club du Someile, French Club of Sleep) costs just the price of his books:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revolution-...85003&sr=1-1
I've read it in Swedish, maybe you can find it in a language you undestand.
It has helped me a lot, especially when jet-lagged in American time zones.

Key: always respect the integrity of your sleep cycles.

- Make adjustments without splitting a sleep cycle (= 1hr 30 min to 2 hrs, varies individually, fits for most people evenly into 24 hrs - so for ex. mine are 1:43 min long), to ensure natural sleep of all depths and brainwave amplitudes. Adjusting 1:45 therefore makes more sense, and is usually easier, than adjusting 1 hr.
- Figure out your own sleep cycles - exact length and timing (for ex., yawns on same hours everyday indicate end of a sleep cycle and a start of a new one)
- Go to bed 5-10 minutes before a new cycle starts (the interval when the "sleeper train" "stays at the station" is about 15-20 min. -if you miss you "train" and aren't totally ehausted, take the next cycle/"train" instead, 1:45 hr later approx). Get up when a cycle ends; don't stay in the bed without sleeping.
- If you take a daytime nap, use either 5 or 20 min. (nothing in between), and only at some of the "station" times.
- Slow down, and minimize lights, 20-30 min. before going to bed.

Atop of this, he has lists of smaller hints.

When I'm tired, I try not to meditate on "sleeper-train station times" - yawns etc... (and if possible, not in the deep-sleep phase in the middle of the cycle either).

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Sep 23 2010 10:30:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  10:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd suggest doing Asanas or as I do, the 5 tibetan rites, before meditation. This wakes your body up, and gets blood circulating to all parts of your body, including your brain.

I find this useful for avoiding tiredness-related drowsiness during meditation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000