Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Numbness in my legs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  07:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
From a friend of mine:

quote:
Almost a year ago I joined a spiritual system named "Erfan-e-Halghe" which roughly translates to 'Mystics of the Ring'. It's a system that seems to have been originated in Iran. After a few months of practicing with this system we had an initiation called "duality scan" which I went through with not issues. Every after that initiation, I noticed that every once in a while I feel some numbness in my feet. I first thought it would probably go away by itself but it didn't and in fact it got worse over time. At times this numbness came up and covered my legs an thighs. At other times I felt "pins and needles" in my legs and thighs and it would last for up to hours.

I talked to a healer and he recommended me not to do any spiritual practice for a while. He believed this was due to my initiation. I listened to him and stopped all my practices and after months the numbness finally disappeared.

Recently I read about AYP system and started practicing Meditation and Pranayama. I felt very good while doing AYP practice however, the numbness and pins and needles returned to my legs again. I had no choice but to stop the practice. It's been two months since I have stopped practicing AYP and I'm very keen on starting again but I'm still worried about this issue.

My question is, has anyone heard of this issue as a symptom of spiritual practice? How can I avoid it without having to give up AYP practices?

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  07:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil,
How does your friend sit for pranayama and meditation?
How long was s/he doing meditation and pranayama (the duration of the session).
If it helps, ask him/her to start with just 10 min on meditation sitting on a chair (not folded legs). Then maybe add 5 min of spinal breathing in a few weeks if his leg feels fine with just the 10 min meditation. Slowly add time to the practices and do it only for as long as it feels comfortable.

Hope this helps.
Wish you and your friend, the best!!!
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  10:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,
Thanks a lot for your comment. My friend currently sits in Siddhasana but as far as we know this issue is not related to her sitting position. She gets the same issue when she sits on a chair. It's the practice that creates the symptom.

She's currently doing 10min SBP + 20min meditation. She started on this level because she was used to doing Osho's breathing techniques for a while. Now she has replaced all of those with a 10+20 AYP routine and this amount of practice is something she feels comfortable with. But this numbness in legs is bugging her.

Edited by - Emil on May 09 2011 11:43:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

kevincann

USA
335 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  01:52:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Emil

Hi Shanti,
Thanks a lot for your comment. My friend currently sits in Siddhasana but as far as we know this issue is not related to her sitting position. She gets the same issue when she sits on a chair. It's the practice that creates the symptom.

She's currently doing 10min SBP + 20min meditation. She started on this level because she was used to doing Osho's breathing techniques for a while. Now she has replaced all of those with a 10+20 AYP routine and this amount of practice is something she feels comfortable with. But this numbness in legs is bugging her.

Emil,

Please get answers to these two specific questions:

Did this intiation focus upon one narrow part of the body, perhaps
involving a touch to the back of the neck, shoulder blades, or other
part on the back not the front of the candidate? FYI, if anyone ever
wishes to initiate you, by touching the brain stem, please slap their
hand and get far away.

Was there a mantra/visualization that invoked a form of "deity",
in conjunction with a flow of energy from the "initiator"?

Nothing in the world would make me happier, than to discover this
was a simple pinched nerve that could be worked out. But I thought
I should ask.

Namaste,

Kevin Cann
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  08:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Emil

Hi Shanti,

Hi Emil,
Ask her to cut back on practices and see if that helps. Tell her to play around with the practices and the practice times.

Also, did she start with both meditation and SpB at the same time? If yes, maybe just do meditation for a bit and then add spinal breathing a few weeks after that?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000