AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Continuous muscle release, jerks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NJL

31 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  12:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been doing a lot of ashtanga lately, six classes per week or so. I don't usually do so much asana practice, but it's been nice.

I haven't been able to do DM much at all the past couple months because of this frequency of anxiety/sadness that has been getting louder and louder. This is a level of emotional pain that has been around, but I couldn't feel it until recently, and it's made any type of meditation very difficult. It's hard to describe, but it is just so deep and fundamental. That's not to say that I don't feel inner silence, it's just that there is clearly a battle going on between the inner silence and this frequency of pain. It's almost like a football game, back and forth between silence and freakout-level pain.

I've also been hitting the old foam roller pretty hard to get to the source of this pain, mostly in the quads.

My hip flexors are plenty tight, especially on the right side, along with the quads. I've focused on releasing these muscles in the past, but now I seem to be making progress that was not coming before. The time is right to release these muscles, and I am certain they are the source of the pain.

The only bumps in the road I've hit have been a bit of an overload on emotions like sadness, guilt, anxiety and so forth. It's been pretty intense at times but so far nothing I can't handle and not enough where I would slow down my current regimen much. I am oversensitive but this is nothing compared to what I've dealt with in the past. I will self pace if I need to.

In addition, I am getting the old "jerks" pretty much all the time, only on the right half of my body while the left is totally still (right side is where the muscle imbalances are located). This can go on pretty much continuously throughout the day. Sometimes it alternates between automatic mudras and jerks, with mudras through the right hand and jerks through the foot. Or vice versa.
My right quad is basically in a trigger point release 24/7, that feeling and movement you get in the muscle when a trigger point is released.
In asana classes, by savasana, my right leg is in full on jerk mode, and my right hand will be in a very powerful auto mudra. If I have a lot of silence at the time, it will be very rhythmic, if there is less silence, more spasmodic.

Not sure why I'm posting this up, but I felt like I should. As always, I welcome your thoughts or advice.

Thanks.

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  7:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi NJL,

do you practice anything else besides the asanas you mentioned? I remember having those hefty jerks only with intense pranayama + kumbhaka practices. If a lot of prana is forced to flow in specific directions and some nadis do get into the way with a lot of friction, these spasms occur. At least it was the case here, escpecially with and through lots of kumbhakkas.

Strong use of mudras and bandhas had also lead to some automatic movements, but not really jerks.

All in all sounds like you are overdoing with practices in general. Depending on the system you practice, jerks are ok and get less and less over time, but if they get overwhelming either practicing less or more from the full spectrum of yoga (asanas, pranayama, meditation, ..) should provide a much more balanced opening and purification of the nadis.

As long as you are fine, all is fine, so happy practicing :)
Go to Top of Page

NJL

31 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2013 :  8:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Holy,
I don't do pranayama because I value my sanity! :P Kumbhaka, especially, is a frightening experience.

I'm not too concerned with the overdoing, it's nothing I can't handle and it hasn't been all that uncomfortable.
The jerks are a bit different than I've experienced in the past, less powerful and sudden, and more like a form of automatic movement. The automatic mudras are VERY strong. Lots of finger and toe twitching. I'm assuming that it's a whole lot of stale prana getting pushed through the nadis... although it's interesting that it's all on the right side (where the purification is happening) and none of it crosses over to the left side.
Thanks for your two cents.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000