Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Forward Bends and Back Pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  10:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Very basic sort of question: Why do forward bends seem to cause/exacerbate back pain while back bends do not? Years ago I had a back injury lifting weights with a curved back, after which I've kept my back straight or slightly arched in nearly all movements (within reason). Recently I've had success re-introducing forward bends into my asana practice, but no sooner did I start to get a little ambitious than I threw my back out again!

I know I need to take it slow and be careful, but I guess it's just my personality to try to push the envelope. Will I ever be able to do more challenging front bends (like Yoganidrasana, the posture I pulled a muscle doing) safely?

Part of the problem seems to be that the back can seize up seemingly without warning, while other muscle groups will hurt a little or just refuse to go further as a signal that you should ease up. Any tips on how to front bend more safely or theories on why the low back muscles in particular seem prone to problems that other muscle groups don't have so much?

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  2:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that all discs and vertebrae look intact on X-ray and MRI (if not all do: drop forward bends and train the core and abs muscles a lot instead, to make them do part of the spinal cord's job), then it's a lot about hastening slowly, and exploring many variations. For example, ubhaya padangusta asana, triang mukhaika pada pashchimotanasana (instead of just parallell legs), split legs (in various angles), vertebrae decompression after bends (purvottana asana, uttpluthi variations etc), one leg down in sirsasana etc.

If there's an old injury in the spinal cord, then yoganidra asana & Co are too risky. I guess your doctor will rather recommend backward bends (mostly or solely), they call in McKenzie-training.

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Jan 24 2013 2:06:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  02:54:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the considerations HathaTeacher mentioned. Also, in case this is not already obvious, it is crucial to LISTEN to your body and the best way to do that is through the BREATH. That is how we avoid injury. In HOY we use ujjayi with asana for that purpose; usually the breath will become irregular or labored before a muscle will seize up; the breath gives you the warning. More important than "challenging" or "pushing the envelope" is a balanced practice with forward and back bends alternating comfortably.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000