New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  01:05:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Weaver!

The reasons you list are all excellent motivations to pursue the full Self-Realization of Nirvikalpa Samadhi, IMO....aside from all considerations of whether or not reincarnation is an actual reality.

Hari OM!

Doc
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  02:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Doc I will take the advice.
Weaver, thanks for for the explanation. No thank you, I'm content being a human being and not transcending it.
Go to Top of Page

AccidentalYogi

21 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  8:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit AccidentalYogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the "ending the cycle of birth and death" thing is just another fallacy of linguistics.

I believe the goal is to end being forced to reincarnate.
Obviously many great saints, Buddhas, and enlightened beings continue to come to earth even after they achieve union.

It's the difference between riding a horse and being dragged along behind one because your foot is caught in the stirrup.

Personally I believe I've been enlightened many many times, but I continue to come back to this plane in order to help other beings. However, this is my choice I am not forced by an ignorance of how energy and the universe works to continue coming to this planet.

As far as dissolving yourself goes, it's really another misunderstanding of language.

What is dissolved are all the beliefs which limit how you see yourself and what you are capable of.

For example.

2 years ago I believed myself to be miserable and so different from anyone else that I could never have any truly fulfilling relationships.

Now I believe myself to be an enlightened, unlimited, immortal, spiritual being who has an entire life in this body with which he can be a benefit to others. I imagine a world where every being has realized that its most essential nature is the same as the universe itself, and I am here to do my part to see that future realized.

I've never felt more peace, joy, or love in my life. I have never been MORE myself.

That is what dissolution did for me.

Why would you fear that?
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  07:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great answer AccidentalYogi, thanks. You say
"Obviously many great saints, Buddhas, and enlightened beings continue to come to earth even after they achieve union"

Obvious? How do you say that?
Go to Top of Page

AccidentalYogi

21 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  11:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit AccidentalYogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess "obviously" probably wasn't the correct word :)

I've read a good deal about modern Yogi's and saints, but I suppose it really depends more upon your own faith to say whether or not you believe they exist or not.

I do.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just wanted to say what a great thread it was and I think the questions you ask, Maximus, are very relevant.

I asked it myself and could not understand it. I started being "formally spirtiual" quite recently (by this I mean actively seeking the spiritual literature etc.). I think it was my inner longing for knowledge and fascination with the mistery of life that brought me to this, and finally to advanced yoga. I am happy about it but a bit puzzled, like you.

I think it is healthy to question the assumptions you read when you start on this spiritual quest. It is like a child asking questions trying to understand things. After all it is all words anyway and concepts etc. so they are prone to misunderstanding. The truth remains as one. I think!

I also wondered about ego and like you say the transcendence of birth and death. This 2 concepts have negative conotations in teh spiritual literature. Why is that so? Aren't these things part of creation, part of the almighty god? Aren't judgements of value (good vs. bad) qualities of dualism and teh mind, things that yoga wants to transcende anyway? So, why wanting to transcende the beauty of the reality we have? Like you MAximus, it seems to me a wanting to escape. Fortunately I sense it is not like this to everybody, a lot of people engage in it for the sake of realisation and understanding and union with god, which I find noble. But why then deny reality?

Well for me it's like this: I believe God is Love (or like to believe this!) and if 'he' loves you then he wants the best for you. So, although the mistery may remain, you have faith. That might be enough for some people. I guess teh bottom line must be: enjoy life! If you are not enjoying it then find out why or the means to make it more enjoyable! Yoga does that to me! :)
Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  7:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The ultimate goal of yoga they say is the merging of the consciousness into the universal consciousness. And then we cease to exist? Is this not 'suicide' of the soul?

I am an explorer. I am curious about my nature or identity. I do not think I will be destroyed for experiencing how I fit in with something much larger. If eventual non-duality is the outcome that is still okay with me. Acceptance of whatever comes, without attachment, may be the crux of the matter.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000