Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 reverse placebo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  7:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Gumpi got me thinking, is it possible to experience a reverse placebo effect in spiritual practices? If you gave a group of people a practice to try and told them it would make them feel happy
and you had three groups
Group A is full of people very easy to persuade
Group B is full of people who are open minded but are not expecting an outcome one way or the other
Group C is full of people who are pessimistic and dont believe anything good can happen.

So when peaople do research on the placebo effect of practices, diets, etc.... Is it possible it did not take into account the reverse placebo? because out of A B and C I would think you would get true results with group B?
some thoughts and more
Neil

Edited by - AYPforum on Aug 29 2008 7:25:54 PM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  7:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  7:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Years ago I was told how to meditate using the mantra AING. Then they told me to sit alone in the other room and just do it, and that we could talk about it afterwards. I did what I was told and do not recall having been told to expect anything in particular, altho before I arrived for this initiation, I'm sure I had heard that TM can be very relaxing. What surprised me utterly during the meditation session was experiencing perhaps a microsecond of the most incredible timeless alive Expanse.
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  2:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tubeseeker,

I want to emphasize a YES to your question. The reverse placebo might be said to be THE problem for us humans. Negative expectations, interpetations and filtering are what cause suffering. The cessation of same leads to intrinsic happiness, your birthright.

Hope this helps,
Jill

Edited by - jillatay on Aug 31 2008 12:58:52 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000