New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  6:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Heat is just purification...I hope everyone's clear on that. If not, people could start reading this and do kechari just for the heat...and possibly not ever experience any! That would get pretty confusing. I hope everyone is clear on what they're seeking, in doing these practices. Enlightenment!

Shweta,

Here's a tidbit about purification from the Hatha Yoga Pradipika:

"12. In the beginning there is perspiration, in the middle stage there is quivering, and in the last or third stage, one obtains steadiness; and then the breath should be made steady or motionless.

13. The perspiration exuding from exertion of practice should be rubbed into the body (and not wiped), as by so doing the body becomes strong.

14. During the first stage of practice the food consisting of milk and ghee is wholesome. When the practice becomes established, no such restriction is necessary."

- From Book II : Pranayama

So you being showered in your own sweat and shaking will end up passing. Rubbing your sweat back in, and drinking milk and consuming ghee is up to you, although I think it'd be good to do those things. It can't hurt, right? In my experience, it helps the purifications pass quicker.

Also, I don't suggest backing off! Unless in your daily life you notice that you're being way too flakey or emotional...or you have ongoing heat, like Meg has. Purification isn't a sign to self pace...things that mess with your day to day life are. At least that's my view on the issue.

It's good that your meditation was waaaaaaaay deep, but it's better when you take that deepness into your daily life...when the world begins to unite as one thing in your mind. Then you're always meditating, without trying. You can't help it. You get absorbed in everything, like watching a great movie where you forget about everything but what's going on in it. This is one-pointedness.

Someone could have the deepest samadhi when they sit for twenty minutes, but if it isn't integrated with going through your day, what use is it? You come out and are still in delusion. I'm quite sure this is where Yogani's up and coming Self-enquiry book will take us. To enlightenment!

Anyway, sorry I'm giving advice to you long time AYP folks. I apologize if you know all of this already, and I'm just coming off as a "look at me I know everything" type. We're all on the same path, and I haven't yet reached the end...so I assure you I don't know it all...I'm just trying to help.

-Scott
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  6:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,
Thank you so much. Your help is very much appreciated. Even when we do know stuff.. its always good to be reminded of the basics..
Yes, heat is purification, if the energy does not interfere with my every day life, I don't need to self pace. I knew those two. Thanks for reminding me though..

The reason I said I may have to back off (which I did not do of course.. because I tried it this morning again ) was my hands and legs were shaking later on, and I was really light headed for a bit.
Ok, about the rubbing, I could try that. ghee.. my favorite.. will have to make some.. milk.. ... sorry.

Meditation is waaaaaaay deep.. the bad part of this is.. it takes forever to get out of it... and if I hurry.. I get groggy and disoriented. Ahhhhh! but I love that deep feeling, I hate coming out of meditation.. and I think I do have that silence with me all day..

This was very sweet Scott.. please do not hesitate to give more advice..
-Shweta

PS: Thanks a lot for "tidbit about purification from the Hatha Yoga Pradipika:" That was really good.

Edited by - Shanti on Jun 23 2006 6:52:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  7:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shweta,

You're very welcome.

But you don't like milk? What kind of yogini are you!? Just kidding of course... Swami Sivananda said it's the perfect food. However, I don't think it's as perfect when bought from the grocery store nowadays. Check this out: http://www.realmilk.com/

Also, I think you would like Charu for a day time snack...

"Charu: A preparation of boiled rice, milk, sugar and ghee, to be offered into the fire for gods; a sattvic dietary regimen usually taken by yoga-practitioners and celibates."
- From http://www.atmajyoti.org/sw_role_di..._control.asp

The reason I say day time...eating before bed messes with your sleep and thus your health.

"I think I do have that silence with me all day.."

Of course you do, the Lord always watches over us . The more we empty ourselves (by making our attention singular) the more we know that...the more silence there is.

You know this stuff already.

-Scott
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  10:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Charu sounds delicious!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  10:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott,
I have failed this yogi diet big time. Maybe its time for me to give up the idea of becomming a yogini...
Charu.. is known by other names too.. very staple food in India.. we generally add bananas to it too.. if you think of it, its like having a bowl of rice cereal with milk.. but not one of my favorits.. main ingredient milk .
Thanks any way.

Yes, the Lord does always watch over us Scott..

-Shweta

Edited by - Shanti on Jun 23 2006 10:40:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  11:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shweta,

I hope you know I was totally kidding about the milk thing. You're obviously a great yogini...showers of sweat are your tangible proof. I'll give a tip on making charu, because the way you described it isn't how I make it...

When you cook rice, it soaks up the stuff you're cooking it in...so it's soaking up the milk, sugar and ghee. It should be soft and gooey and there shouldn't be any extra fluid. Not like rice cereal with milk at all...but more like rice pudding.

Anyway if you still don't like that, I don't know what to tell you...you may have no hope in yoga.

I was definitely kidding there.

-Scott
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  10:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,
Yes I know you were kidding my dear. Cooking the rice in milk.. well now that is not Charu.. that is call payesh where I come from, it is served as a dessert...
OK, here is the deal.. I don't like milk, I don't like sweet food, I don't like desserts.. so this one is a no no for me.. I do make it often.. my kids and my husband love it.. but I don't touch that stuff. Here is something you can add when you make this.. add some slivered almonds, pistachio and raisins..
Thanks for trying to get me to drink my milk though and make me a good yogini.. Yep! no hopes for me in this path..

OK now back to Kechari...
Does anyone feel like the mind becomes completely still when in Kechari.. or is it just my imagination..

Edited by - Shanti on Jun 24 2006 10:55:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  12:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Does anyone feel like the mind becomes completely still when in Kechari.. or is it just my imagination..

Shweta - yes, I think that may be the case with me too. While my tongue is in kechari, there is a profound feeling of stillness, or rest, which feels like, Ahhh . . . home at last. But later, like in the middle of the night, there is incredible energy movement in every nook and cranny of my body. It's calmed down a lot since I've cut way, way back on kechari (max. 5 min. a day), so it feels manageable and even sensual. There seems to be a very fine balance between the stillness and energy movement, Shiva and Shakti. But what I'm noticing from reading others' experiences with this is that kechari affects everyone differently. For you it's stillness, for me it's purification, for Tom it's prana flow, for Scott it's charu.

Edited by - Manipura on Jun 24 2006 12:20:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  4:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I have found the nasal passage. But my tongue does not go through.. the passage does not seem broad enough for my fat tongue to go through, I guess.. and if I try to push it in.. it burns.
Any one else experience this, or am I doing this wrong?

Edited by - Shanti on Jun 24 2006 4:36:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  5:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shweta you are doing fine, juatdon't try so hard to break through. Explore the opening to teh nasal passage, feel the midline, get familiar with the territory. During your practice just gently rest the tongu there easily and comfortably. Then, maybe after a few years or sooner or later if you are so inclined you can explore the right or left passage with the tip of your tongue but I really wouldn't worry about that at this point. just finding the nasal openings is enough for a good long while. enjoy and get comfortable there!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  7:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti:

Good advice from Victor. It was about 10 years after stage 2 before I went into the nostrils. There is no rush. Take time to assimilate what you have energetically before moving on. You don't have to wait as long as I did (it was a much lonelier road back then -- all this kechari company we have today is wonderful), but no need to get ahead of yourself either. In time, the mechanics of it will manifest, or maybe not. It is not mandatory to penetrate the nostrils to proceed along the path. In fact, the journey can continue without kechari stage 2. That is the advantage of a diverse integrated system of practices -- one way or another we will continue to move ahead according to our inner light.

Each of us has our own tendencies, and each of us will travel our own path.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  2:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Victor and Yogani.
Its really disappointing though.. no near yet so far..
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  3:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just hit stage 2 last night, without yet snipping the frenum...I was sitting there for 20 minutes pushing with my fingers, thrusting forward, etc...it happened when I wasn't paying attention to it. Then I could easily feel the midline and what seemed like the passages on either side...

This morning I awoke to do my practices with a high pitched ringing sound in me (not just in my ears). I had noticed the sound beforehand during meditation...as if a TV was on. Sometimes it sounded like wind rushing through the woods. This time it was higher, stronger and centralized. When I'd move my head too far forwards, the sound would go away...or too far backwards, or to the side. Only when I was in alignment was it the most apparent.

Interesting stuff.

-Scott

Edited by - Scott on Jun 25 2006 3:04:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  3:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well Congratulations Scott. That is great... without snipping.. one of the lucky few I have to say.
Hummmmm high pitched ringing sound.. purification maybe?
You are right its very Interesting..
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  10:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shweta, I am confused about what you refer to as the nasal passage. Do you mean the nasopharynx that the whole tongue enters (stage 2)or do you mean the individual nasal passages that are seperated but the septum?(stage 4) if it is the first then I am confident that you will get there soon. If it is the second then I would not waste any thought on frustration and just enjoy the practice of stage 2 kechari!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  10:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Victor.. stage 2 thats where I would be.
Sorry for the confusion..

Edited by - Shanti on Jun 25 2006 10:53:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  02:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh! i thought you were referring to stage 4. Now I understand your frustration a little better. persevere, it will come. Might take a little while but you will get there
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  03:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shweta - I was confused too about where your tongue was --- it seemed that you'd gone from stage 1 to stage 4 over the weekend! :) I think that's why everyone was telling you to slow down.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  06:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry..
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  11:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti:

Not to be rushing you to stage 4 (see posts above), but a careful reading of AYP lesson 108 can help when the time is right. It is also covered in narrative form in the Secrets of Wilder novel. The stage 4 technique involves twisting the tongue on its side, top toward the center, by following the groove down with the tip of the tongue from the top of the eustachian tube trumpets on either side of the nasal passages.

I am sure there are other ways to do it, just as we have had a breakthrough here recently with pressing forward over the soft palate with the tongue into stage 2. A surge of new stage 2 entries have come from that. Bravo!

Now, it's suggested you give yourself a chance to acclimate before pressing on into stage 4. Stage 2-3 with the secret spot on the edge of the septum is the meat and potatoes of kechari, while into the nostrils to stage 4 is the wild blue yonder of it. Are you the wild blue yonder type?

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  11:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani.

"Are you the wild blue yonder type?'
Not yet.. but you never know...
Go to Top of Page

breathe

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  11:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit breathe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good Morning all you Kechari Experts, I have a question. I have had a little breakthrough over the weekend and I am not sure where I am. The progress has been made using a combination of reaching and relaxing, reaching and relaxing. What I am experiencing is this. My tongue is laying on the top of the soft palate in stage 2. When I reach forward I feel 2 rather sensitve things simultaneously like 2 smooth sides of a trough. When I push a little further and higher there seems to a harder thing more in the center. All of them appear to come closer and are easier to touch on the inhale and they recede a bit on the exhale although that may be an illusion (I am not sure). They are all quite sensitive and my nose starts to run a bit when I touch them. Am I getting up towards the individual nasal passages or what? I have looked at the diagrams in #108, but still it isn't clear. It seems a little soon to have reached the nostrils, but there is some complexity to the structures and they seem somewhat tall and narrow. They also seem kind of bony. Any thoughts would be great!!
Thanks,
Tom
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  12:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tom,CONGRATULATIONS! you are in stage 2. There are several anatomical structures in there but it all really doesn't comprise much physical space. Once you get past the soft palate and slide the tongue forward you will find that nothing is too far a reach, it just feels like it at first. Just keep exploring and become familiar with that area and soon enough it should become comfortable to include as a normal part of your practice.
Go to Top of Page

breathe

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  1:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit breathe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Victor,
What exactly am I hitting there? Can you tell by the description? It seems to move. Sometimes it feels closer and sometimes further away. How far from here is the "Secret Spot"? Thanks for the encouragement!
Tom
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  3:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Can any of you experienced in stage 2 kechari tell me if the drooling goes away with time. Is it an effect of straining the tongue?
Thanks,
Paul
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000