Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Tongue scaling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  2:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I'm recently drawn to shatkarma. Besides nasal cleansing, I'd like to do some tongue scaling too. Does anyone know if there's some products specially designed for scaling tongue? I don't have any tool besides the inefficient tooth brush.

thanks!

Pheel

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  2:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  2:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"scaling tongue"?
Or do you mean "tongue scraping"?

http://www.aypsite.org/313.html
A yoga method that can be added to daily oral hygiene, which few may be exposed to in modern society, is tongue scraping. Sometimes brushing the tongue with the toothbrush is advised after brushing the teeth. The yogic equivalent of this is tongue scraping, which is far more effective for removing tartar and its resident bacteria from the tongue. This involves using the edge of a straight piece of metal or plastic to scrape the top of the tongue forward from the area right in front of the taste buds. A more effective tool for this is a flat strip of metal that has been bent into a "U" shape. The curved edge can be used to scrape forward on the top of the tongue, covering the full top surface with a single stroke, or several repetitions.

The amount of tartar collected with tongue scraping in this manner will far exceed what can be accomplished with a brush, and will greatly reduce the amount of tartar collecting on the teeth as well.

Of course, excessive tartar on the tongue and teeth can be a sign of an imbalance in the diet and/or general health condition. If that is the case, we can step back further and look at our lifestyle to address the root causes of excess proteins and bacteria (tartar) building up in the mouth. If we do this, we will find ourselves with a much cleaner mouth, and much better all around health as well.

The condition of our mouth at any point in time is a visible indication of the condition of the rest of our body, and the quality of life we have been living.

If you are talking about tongue scraping, just google tongue scraper... there are many available. Should be available at any pharmacy. I think my daughter picked one up at Walmart.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  6:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a link for ya
http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/p.../tongue.aspx
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  4:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti and LittleTurtle, yes it should be tongue scraping,,,,:P and you guys gave the right info:)
Go to Top of Page

k windsock

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  02:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
if you ever find yourself in thailand, tongue scrapers are found in many toiletry shops. if you can't manage that a teaspoon will suffice. i was pleasantly surprised to find tongue scrapers in the UK. as you know british dental hygiene ain't the best there is, i am sure you will eventually find one in the U.S.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000