Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 I AM repetition and "The secrets of Wilder"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

richilincez

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  2:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everybody!

I am Riccardo and I am from Italy. Though involved in meditation for a long time, I ve picked up DM since almost two months so far, as my only practice. I do the twice a day 20 min routine, and I have never missed a seating.

I am writing here to have some points from practice clarified.

First, let's outline what happens in my case when I sit in meditation and start repeating the mantra: I drift off into some kind of oniric-spaced out situation.
Also, Yogani advises to adopt the changes one notices in normal life as the main indicator of good progression in meditation. I do not see any change yet.

I know that Yogani suggests one should just notice that he's off the mantra, and go back, and I indeed do, but this spacing out has been happening to me every single time I have been meditating: it is like my mantra repetition is a kind of rare, froating experience punctuating here and there my meditation time, while the most is composed by this unclear and foggy state.
My question is if you can suggest me anything to solve it, or if you tell me this is right practice, or if I am exceeding in the letting go. Indeed, I repeat the mantra as easily and as naturally as it is possible, but this is the result. Shouldnt it be more of a clear state, even in the fuzzy refinement of the mantra?

Second point, I read the free downloadable part available of Secret of Wilder. There, in the description of the repetition on I AM, it is underlined the importance of intention in meditation. Precisely, this intention is that to go INSIDE, not to merely mentally PRONOUNCE the sound. So there is this pointing inward of the mantra.
I think that both out/in must be mental constructs, and the "pointing inward" itself is something MORE that the simplicity of the mantra.
Which meaning has this intention and pointing inward?

Lastly, another point about the I AM repetition.
I noticed in my mind the persistency of some residual "visual image" of the verbal spelling of the sound "i am", be it spelled AYAM or I AM.
Focusing on the sound itself is a bit forced though, and goes against the simplicty of the procedure. What is the right practice regaring this point? Is it natural to "see" a bit of the mantra, if it comes by itself?

Still regarding this, I noticed that the mantra can be repeated in the mind in three ways.
As a pure sound in the mind
As a normal thought (the most natural form, that implies a bit of visuality as outlined before)
As a "silent sound" in the mind, meaning it is like the pronunciation is silent but still present nside the mind. Hard to explain.
What is the right way?

My consistency will not be shaken by failure, still I'd be grateful if you could help me walk the right path.

Thanks a lot,

Riccardo

Edited by - richilincez on Nov 04 2011 2:18:35 PM

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  2:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ricardo and welcome to the forums!

I have found two topics for you which should answer your questions

Procedure with mantra

Mantra Clarification

If you have anymore questions, fire away .
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  3:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ricardo

Welcome
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  3:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ricardo,

Yes, you are practising mantra meditation the correct way. Try not to have any doubts and carry on. When you practice meditation you are going inward, automatically, so the intention to do so is already there. If you notice an image in the mind of the words "I AM" or "AYAM", treat it as any other scenery and gently favour the repetition of the mantra over the visual image.

It is the sound/ vibration that is important. All sounds are vibrations. So as to the last question, it is the pure sound you are after.

2 months is a very short period of time to be practicing for, so don't expect to see too many outward changes just yet. It is a long process. If you are impatient for results, and you have not yet done so, you could try adding Spinal Breathing Pranayama to your practice.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Nov 04 2011 3:35:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1535 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  08:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Ricardo,

You are doing just great! It is expected to 'space out', just go back to the mantra as soon as you come back to yourself if your meditation time is not up; if it's up or over, count the time you've spaced out as part of your meditation time and rest. Rest is very important. Do not over-analyse the way you are saying the mantra. For me, it's a silent sound in the mind which I start off by repeating but end up listening for (if that makes any sense)

Enjoy your journey

Sey
Go to Top of Page

richilincez

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  2:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much to everybody for the answers for they all have been very fullfilling and complete. I guess that, indeed, the beauty of this method over others is the simplicity. And with it I will stay. All doubts spring from forgetfullness of this simplicity.

Thanks again

Riccardo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000