Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Threw out my back
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  10:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I threw out my back Sunday Morning doing nothing, I was in the bathroom and reached for something (not strenuous at all)and suddenly my back went out and I had a hard time walking after that it hurt so bad. I was on my back all day Sunday and most of Monday..I am doing better now, can walk around.

Question, it still hurts and my DM and SB have been effected, I try for as long as I can...but I just cannot sit and meditate properly.

what is the best way to approach my DM and SB now...until I get better?

Hopefully only a few more days..but I hate my meditation being effected.

namaskar,

yogesh

Edited by - yogesh on Oct 26 2011 11:02:06 AM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  11:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do your practices in whatever position you feel comfortable (even laying down is fine).

Hope your back feels better soon.

Alternate ice and heat 10-15 min each, a few times a day... also keep some sort of anti inflammatory in your system, that will help keep the swelling down and help the injured/tight muscles heal. I threw out my back a few weeks back, like you, for no reason... for me a chiropractic adjustment helped.
Go to Top of Page

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  11:42:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti...

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  05:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I threw mine out 2 weeks ago. It effects SB but I am just more gentle with my body and don't breath too hard.

Ice and ibrufen helps, also, for some reason increasing the intake of plain water seems to work ?
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  09:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When it is completely recovered you might want to consider doing some core-strengthening exercise to prevent re-occurrence. I used to have a lot of back pain problems that went away after starting core exercise. You just strengthen all muscles front, side and back in the navel area. My back used to go "out" because of pulling muscles that never got used. For me it was always from reaching and twisting at the same time, but there are many variations that are helped by core strengthening. Sitting all day long is harder on your back than standing, and benefits from stronger core muscles.
Go to Top of Page

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  10:35:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Today was the first morning I could sit up for meditation since this happened...really felt good!

Wow I guess I do need some core-strengthening exercise, thanks Etherfish!

Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  10:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

When it is completely recovered you might want to consider doing some core-strengthening exercise to prevent re-occurrence.
Core-training is core - but not yet. I agree.

Wear a woolen slipover as much as possible, preferably a longer one than your usual size. The last couple of weeks' spine-issue pandemic is partly due to the weather and the spinal muscles getting colder - let's keep them warm and let's always warm up enough before asana or other exercise.

When it's very painful, it's important to avoid intense exercise and even long periods of consecutive rest or sitting. Several short walks a day, if possible, and not sleeping on 1 side all night.

Chiropractics often helps too (after the visit, ask even for exercises or stretches that are beneficial in your current state). Often, among the first strengthening exercises is a low, very cautious Cobra (performed dynamically but slowly) with more weight on the arms. Next, they slowly add the Cat and very light abs/core exercises to strengthen without taking the spine too close to extreme positions (expect its flexibility now to be a fraction of what you were used to).
Forward bending might be added much later; to cope with life without it, knees and leg muscles shall compensate as well as arms (to take some of the weight of the upper body on reelings, shelves, tables, whatever) as long as there's much pain.

Currently, traction treatment (by a person, or on a chiropod, or hanging over the edge of a dining table, or pushups on a trapeze) is more argued-upon than before, so be cautious until you're better: although it brings a second or two of (very transient) relief, there is a risk of more and worse imbalance after, as the vertebrae return into position. An outdated trick is painkiller+training; again, you never know where your vertebrae are going to.

The chakra to be balanced (by a beeja, color, element, as well as by practical tasks) is Manipoura (lower spine) and Anahata (upper spine, behind the heart), which in my case has been a zigzag journey... Yoga is an act of balance. Opening/balancing the Anahata is not about neglecting the health/basic needs of your family and yourself, and balancing the Manipoura is not about ignoring other living creatures.

A natural medicine might be worthwhile for a couple of months:

Arnica on the related muscles, and/or as homeopatic pills.

Turmeric, see the discussion after my post here: www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=8352#80681 .

Embrocation containing bee poison to stop inflamation (with fewer bees around, these are more dilluted in cheap ingredients instead).

For pain in the lower spine, South American Nasturtium (the big sort of Tropaeolum Majus).

If you have the spine massaged at home (for whatever combination of reasons ;-) then avoid force. The endorphine will help anyway.

Last but not least, in the bedroom, communicate and be inventive, anything that helps counts (positions, angles, pillows, furniture, whatever). A good time to penetrate static tantra theory & practice . I found Diana Richardson inspiring, see the last 5-10 lines of my post in the Tantra thread: www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=10046#86047 (otherwise, if the urge to move is too strong, move very gently and slowly, or abstain).

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Oct 29 2011 11:21:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  12:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you HathaTeacher for such a detailed informative response...

Makes sense the cold weather is behind it, wow, did not know there was an epidemic..

namaskar,

yogesh

Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  08:00:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to second what HathaTeacher's wrote about Turmeric. Since incorporating it regularly in my diet, there has been a noticeable improvement in flexibility - so an overdue 'thanks' to Hatha too
Go to Top of Page

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  09:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From Natural News:

Turmeric Found to Be Beneficial for Lung, Liver and Colon Health

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/023287_t...xzz1cGytIpxU

The Burning of Tumeric has been used for centuries in India to repel Bhutas (Ghosts)

"In many regions, bhoots are supposed to fear water and steel or iron objects, so keeping those nearby is believed to scare them off. The scent of burnt turmeric is also said to ward them off. As is typical of ghosts throughout the world, invoking the name of holy figures and deities is also said to repel bhoots. In some regions, sprinkling earth on oneself is said to shield against bhoots."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhoot_(ghost)#Thwarting_bhoots

http://books.google.com/books?id=ET...eric&f=false

Edited by - yogesh on Oct 30 2011 09:59:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  3:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that one is The Aurvedic wonder spice.
I also remember a turmeric-pouring Puja, to celebrate Shakti with a long mantra.

Plus my shakti brought a pound of turmeric powder as a present to me the other day. I feel very grateful, for both

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Oct 30 2011 3:55:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  6:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
when I burn turmeric the smell definitely reminds me of India...

but then again, India is all smells you can imagine and then some...

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  02:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
is there an indian dish that does not include turmeric?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  05:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

is there an indian dish that does not include turmeric?

Nope.
That is why there are no bhutas in any Indian's house... Just the dreaded mother-in-law... at least one in each house... Wonder what would keep those away...
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  06:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogesh

but then again, India is all smells you can imagine and then some...

True again... in Mumbai we would fall asleep while traveling on local trains, and would know when to wake up and get off the train, just by the smell.
Go to Top of Page

yogesh

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  09:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti...

so funny

I will research if there is mother-in-law repelling mantra !!

Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  11:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep us posted yogesh - there may be some demand
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  1:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank God i am not married
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  9:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanx amoux,
Your mention of flexibility inspired me to bring out the turmeric.
mmmmm - reminds me of when I chewed on my pencil in kindergarten.
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  08:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was very pleasantly surprised - and the improvement is continuing
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000