New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  09:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello, just a quick question.

I am fairly fit but not flexible I cannot achieve MahaMudra at all, I cannot touch my toes or perform the plow or reach arms in cow face pose.

Does anyone have any advice on how to increase flexibility? Foods? Anything else? Etc?

Or are we to just keep practicing?

Love and light.

xx

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  09:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Check out PNF stretching, or aka isometric stretching. Pavel Psatsouline or Thomas Kurz are good, the former being expensive though. Google searching will probably get you the information you need.

Basically sit in your stretch i.e. seated, one-legged hamstring stretch. Stretch as comfortably as possible then gradually tense the leg for about 10-30 seconds. Release and relax and at the same time strech forward while breathing out (Although you are breathing normally throughout the exercise!). Repeat until you get bored. Do this about 2-3 times a week. You can do normal stretches on your off days if you like, but its not necessary. If you do you might need to spend 10 mins, or more in the stretch. You are waiting for the muscle to relax from the tension. The thing to look out for in this stretch is to keep your back straight not the hunch forward, as many people do. You want to be stretching your hamstring not your lower back! Therefore look forward at the foot you are stretching, and try to touch your nose to your toes.

I have found it far more effective than static stretching. Nearly in both splits after 2 months.

Its your nervous system that stops your range of motion - not tight muscles, as previously thought. For example a patient knocked out on an operating table has full range of motion whereas conscious they do not. Another factor is that if your muscles are weak then your nervous system kicks in and inhibits the muscles from extending to their full range of motion. So by doing the pnf stretches you are strengthening the muscles. Very clever!

Coffee does not help, so avoid before training, and keep well hydrated. Also according to Kurz cycling tightens your hips up, so it is counter productive if you are wanting to achieve the side split.

Good Luck! You'll be like Jean Claude Van Damme in no time.

Edited by - woosa on Aug 31 2010 10:30:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  7:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend:

"Yogabody Handbook" by Lucas Rockwood it's $34.

http://www.yogabodynaturals.com/store

A series of gravity assisted poses. You do a different set each day of the work week. Very good stuff, and not too hard.
Also look locally and see if you have teachers for aerial dance or circus. Sometimes they have a contortion trainer. I found one where I live and he has very good stretches that aren't hard to do. They are the pre-cursor for contortion, but would be excellent for yoga because they are based on knowledge of how the body moves naturally, and specific points to enhance range of motion.

Edited by - Etherfish on Sep 30 2010 9:48:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  9:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just keep practicing

Love!
Go to Top of Page

greenyogi

14 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  11:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit greenyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Toxic and change of diet (raw living food, a lot of green and fruits) helps a lot.
I agree with what yogabodynatural

quote:
Originally posted by 11jono11

Hello, just a quick question.

I am fairly fit but not flexible I cannot achieve MahaMudra at all, I cannot touch my toes or perform the plow or reach arms in cow face pose.

Does anyone have any advice on how to increase flexibility? Foods? Anything else? Etc?

Or are we to just keep practicing?

Love and light.

xx

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  12:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Woosa, that is interesting information.

Can you provide any links to studies or other sources so that i could read further?
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  02:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
cut the meat...and keep on practising......
but remember the following:yoga practice is much more than sucess in the physical asanas...
you are NOT the body....even if your asana is a "failure" cultivate inner awarness...
good luck
maheswari
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  11:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tonight

I would say they best I have read is Pavel Tsatsouline's 'Relax into Stretch'. Although it is expensive.

Tom Kurz's 'Stretching Scientifically' is more like a textbook for sport students. But it has a few variations.

Try these:

http://www.flashmavi.com/stretching...tation.shtml - This one has pictures!

and this one

http://people.bath.ac.uk/masrjb/Str...4.html#SEC36

Hope this helps!

Although I still do the PNFs. It is is not a nice as doing a flow of Asanas. As it is quite painful at times, but strangely I enjoy it. I must be a bit of a masochist.

Edited by - woosa on Feb 01 2011 6:21:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

skater1287

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  8:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just keep practicing, the nervous system eventually lets go of old tension and you'll be able to go deeper within a pose. Expensive books are not necessarily the answer, just practice by generating heat with vinyasa and proper breathing. Then take it 1 day at a time with respect to your body and never ignore the physical alignment.

At first, I could not do headstand or shoulderstand for more than 5 mins. but now I can go above 30 and all my previous poses have deepened a bit as well and they're more relaxing!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  08:01:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Vibration helps a lot. Go into a pose where the muscle is very tight, and apply vibration and heat. There are vibrators the size of your hand that strap on to your hand, "Oster Stim-u-lax", and there are others that are on a handle and have heat too. Or your health club might have a big plate vibrator; you can't move that kind. This is new technology for exercise also, but works well for releasing muscles. It causes them to tense and relax at a higher frequency than you can do on your own.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  8:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks woosa i will check out the links.

however, what i had meant is that do you have more information concerning your claim about flexibility being entirely a product of the nervous system?
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  03:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is well known. You can prove it yourself: stand next to a table and put one leg on the table. This proves you have the ability to do full splits already, because there are no muscles or tendons that cross from one side to the other.
The body is trying to protect itself. Some say your body won't let you do full splits because the adductors aren't strong enough to pull the legs back in quickly. Others say it is psychological or groin protection, but it can be learned over time. Same thing with other stretches. If you RELAX into them creating pressure, but not pain, you will do them eventually.
But extend and lengthen your body at the same time. For instance, if your shoulders are shrugged, it restricts a nerve that runs over your elbow and you can't pull your arms behind you very far. But with shoulders down and arms extended, you can.
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  11:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yin yoga by Paul Griley and insight yoga/yin yang yoga with Sarah Powers are great for this. THe point being that teh stretches are always five minutes or longer and you only relax into the elongation you do not feel much or any discomfort while stretching. THis is supposed to give quicker results than regular yoga stretches and be healthier as well. I love the book by powers. Grileys is nice too.

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  7:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

if it's well known then i need to alert the medical, phsiotherapy and sports medicine fields because they don't know it!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  8:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well it's not entirely the nervous system. It also involves joint structure and surrounding tissue, and most
importantly muscle length. But your brain and nervous system hold you back from many positions that your body is capable of easily doing like splits.

Edited by - Etherfish on Feb 04 2011 8:36:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  8:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

From reading from those two books they do believe that it is to do with the nervous system. It's all about the Golgi Tendon!

Also someone can train to kick so high that they are doing the splits, but if that same person sits and tries to do the splits they can not. The former is dynamic flexibility, the latter static flexibility.

So for instance a Yogi who is super flexible might not be very good at a spinning roundhouse kick to someones head. But I supposed it is just as well with Ahimsa!

I am guessing the nervous system is the gulity party in all this. But I don't know anything about sports physiology, or whatever all that stuff goes by. And I don't much care either!

I'm not bothered if its to do with my nervous system, or Daffy Duck's beak to be honest. As long as it works!
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  8:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Woosa-

this is probably your forum and not mine.

but is it absolutely necessary to make a statement about a roundhouse kick to someones head?

gee, if I thought you were referring to me- it would make me feel pretty sad/upset....

Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  9:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sagebrush

Woosa-

this is probably your forum and not mine.

but is it absolutely necessary to make a statement about a roundhouse kick to someones head?

gee, if I thought you were referring to me- it would make me feel pretty sad/upset....

I was only joking!

The hypothetical yogi in the post is too short to kick someone in the head anyhow. He would have to kick 'em in the ghoulies.

Edited by - woosa on Feb 05 2011 07:34:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  09:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
good--joking can be helpful. sometimes I read into things so seriously and it was like I was visually seeing you roundhouse my head....

or wanting too....

I am not trying to control what you write or want to express..

making assumptions on what someone is trying to express can lead into problems....for me...

working on my own flexibility---but in a different way.

Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  08:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I've had good results with increasing flexibility as a byproduct of in-depth experiential psychotherapy. Huge amounts of accumulated stress were rather dramatically released from my muscles and joints in a series of Holotropic breathwork sessions, leading to a considerable increase of overall flexibility. This was the beginning of my love affair with asana practice.
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  3:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mimiron and Jono,

I agree breathing is really the key to it. You can start each yoga session with pranayama exercises, and finish in deep Savasana relaxation or in meditation.

Variations of some asanas can help you to find one that feels most viable to your own body. With some postures, exercising for example a couple of different ways of entering it makes you more confident and relaxed once you're there even when you enter it the difficult way.

Try vegetarian/Ayurvedic cooking, and consume 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric a day (also, soaked fenugreek for ladies).

In wintertime, drink Vatta-balancing aurvedic herb-tea blends. Gradually minimize or avoid toxins (coffee, alcohol, drugs, additives, meat etc.), white sugar, white wheat flour. Drink often, and as clean water as possible.

If you're in Western sports too, then:
- add swimming to your training (various strokes)
- in a yoga class, don't watch the others. No matter if the person next to you is an expert or an absolute beginner. Let your your inner go-getter or competition freak hibernate as soon as you're on the mat; go for awareness, patience, enjoyment. This is almost as key as the breathing.

Last but not least - practise, and all will come ;-)
Enjoy !

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Mar 04 2011 3:33:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  9:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's what I know about stretching which I have been studying with experts for a couple years:

1) Always warm up the muscles first that you will stretch, or they won't go as far, and you can injure them.

2) Do stretches that you can relax into, preferably using gravity.

3) Hold them for 30 seconds or 45, come out of them, and repeat three times or more.

4) Skip days in between but you can alternate back and legs for example if you want to do something every day.
If you do the same stretch every day, you will not progress as fast.

5) Hold a stretch to the point of discomfort, but not pain, or it will slow down progress.

6) Lengthen and extend your whole body, arms, legs, back, neck as you do stretches to avoid pinching nerves.

7) Don't do ballistic, bouncing, or any quick movements if you want lasting results. The spinal column will initiate a stretch response without even going to the brain, which causes muscle contraction.
Bouncing creates small muscle tears that heal but leave scar tissue that is less flexible.

8) Balance your stretches. If you do backbends, do front bends too.

9) RELAX the muscles that you are stretching! In other words, be conscious of what muscles are tight when you are stretching, and try to relax them.
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  04:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by HathaTeacher

Try vegetarian/Ayurvedic cooking, and consume 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric a day (also, soaked fenugreek for ladies).

Really curious - why turmeric and soaked fenugreek? Sounds intriguing.
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  3:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by amoux
Really curious - why turmeric and soaked fenugreek? Sounds intriguing.

There are several ayurvedic spices with remarkable health effects; these 2 are useful for all 3 doshas, and Western medical research (US, Sweden, Switzerland) seems to focus on these.
Curcumine, the key substance in turmeric, is a powerful antioxidant. 1-2 teasp. of turmeric powder a day (boiled or in fried dishes) prevents inflamations (sinus, bronchae, muscles, joints) and some types of cancer.
Yogis use it mostly to keep joints flexible.

Fenugreek (both the seeds and the water after soaking overnight) is a purifier helping bile (gall) and liver, and a hormone-balancer for the female body.

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Mar 08 2011 3:18:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  4:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, HathaTeacher.

I have some turmeric in the house, so I'll give it a go and see if it helps my sore muscles and joints.

Edited by - amoux on Mar 08 2011 4:14:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  6:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HathaTeacher, I must thank you for your tip about the turmeric. For anyone else here reading this, it seems to be a bona fide wonderdrug for sore joints!

I've had a sore knee for a little while now, and today after taking a teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of milk this morning it has felt better than it has done for a long time! I'd be interested to hear if anyone else could verify the effects of this, it seems almost miraculous to have taken effect so soon. Amoux, would you like to add anything? I do eat a little turmeric whenever I make dal once or twice a week, but only a pinch as opposed to a full tsp, not enough to feel the soothing effects perhaps.

Thanks once again

Edited by - Wafu on Mar 16 2011 6:35:02 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000