Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  10:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The last few weeks I've had a hard time staying on the mantra. It used to be fairly easy but now my mind is a whirl of different thoughts and remembrences. I can't seem to stay on the "I am" for more than a few seconds then my mind just goes... I've been meditating for a year and a half, half of it with AYP. Just a phase, I guess. Without this site I would have given up months ago, so thanks.
larry

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  10:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been same with me too for the last few weeks.

In addition I am feeling dim, drowsy-like during and a bit after meditation.

- Near
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  11:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When you beat the rug hard enough the dust comes out. The length of time you have meditated for is unimportant, only what happens now. It's progress that your mind has begun notice. All is scenery, tread lightly.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  1:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
When you beat the rug hard enough the dust comes out.

true
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  09:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lmaher22:

It should be pointed out that meditation is not about "staying on the mantra." It is about easily favoring the mantra when we notice that we are off it. Once we have favored the mantra, anything can happen. If there are long periods of thoughts, dullness, or whatever, in-between our noticing we are off the mantra and picking it up, this is good practice and is normal. Experiences will change over time in our meditation sessions as purification and opening continue. One kind of experience is not better than another. Whatever is happening is what our nervous system needs to be doing to purify and open itself.

It is not uncommon at times to think the mantra once and be lost in thoughts or some dullness for an entire session. If/when at some point we notice we are off the mantra, we just easily come back to it. If that sends us into another long stream of thoughts or dullness, this is good practice. It can happen and there is nothing to worry about. Good things are happening and we just continue with the easy procedure of meditation.

Analyzing experiences that are occurring during meditation is not part of the process. If you notice you are doing that (and working to stay on the mantra), then just regard that as another thought, easily favor the mantra, and let it go where it will.

So it is suggested to continue with the simple procedure of practice like clockwork. Then enjoy the results in daily activity, which is where we can notice the effectiveness of our practice.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  5:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all and especially Master Yogani. I get so much hope and guidance here. I literally think this process is either saving my life or giving me one. Either way I couldn't be more grateful.
Thank you,
Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000