Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Japa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  3:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just wanted to share the effect of Japa on my practise. During early December (this year) during a brief period of emotional suffering, I wanted to offer that suffering as a sacrifice to the Lord (or whatever your conceptual label is). Somehow the mantra Nam Myoho Renge Kyo came to mind, a mantra given to me many years ago, and I began chanting it (within my mind, not out loud) with applying the full heat of my emotion to it.

In fact, I ended up chanting it for about 5 days, morning to evening. I was offering all passions of my heart to the mantra. It seemed a very practical way to implement Yogani's advice of converting your emotions into bhakti. I've been chanting it on and off mentally for some time now, until a new mantra replaced it, Om Sat Cit Ananda.

Effects:

-Smooth[er] purification: The practise for me seems to ease the process of purification and make it go smoother. If I'm overloading, repetition of the mantra seems to carry the obstructions out of the nervous system and dissolve them into inner silence during the day.

-Immense enhancement of joy. Sudden periods where an inner radiance of joy arises whilst chanting the mantra.

-Increased depth of meditation, practise is more silent and peaceful than before.

-Great increase of inner silence.

The mantra seems to act as a laser beam, cutting through everything that arises in my mind and emotions during the day, seeking out God.

For those who feel inclined, it's a great practise, and for me has seemed to compliment AYP.

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  5:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mr_anderson

Japa is a fantastic practice, isn't it? Eknath Easwaran's 8-point program features the mantram (japa) prominently and for a few years now, I have been practicing it. In addition to making it a sitting practice (which provides all of the benefits you mention), it is recommended that it become the foremost thought in the mind, i.e., reciting it all day. Ram Dass describes this as the wave that overrides all other thought waves in the ocean of our minds.

For me, the mantra is a way to:
1. Become more present at any given moment. Just thinking of the mantra is like turning on the sharp focus on a camera.
2. Practice karma yoga - when I bring the mantra into whatever I'm doing, then it is not "me" doing whatever action "I" am involved in (from teeth brushing to writing manuscripts to seeing patients). As soon as the mantra comes into focus, "He" is performing that action through this mind/body. And all results of that action are also surrendered to Him through the mantra.
3. Get over fears/anxieties - through tough times, bringing the mantra into focus takes everything off the foreground, so the inner silence remains undisturbed.
4. Go to sleep easier.
5. Keep the bhakti flowing.

Finally, long-term japa results in "ajapa japa" where the mantra occurs automatically, even in dreams. I wake up with the mantra going in my mind. Easwaran describes this as "The Lord calling Himself".. Beautiful..

The key is to pick one mantra and stay with it, according to Easwaran. It took me some time to pick one that resonated with the bhakti within, but I've stuck with the same mantra (Om Namo Narayanaaya) for 2-3 years. I also have the mantra going day in and day out in the worship room on a chant box.

One technique to try is samyama with the mantra - I do this consciously twice a day with daily prayers. Thinking the mantra and letting it go into silence. Gradually, that has become a habit - throughout the day, I discover that the mantra is automatically going on and being let go into silence.. Samyama takes japa into a whole new level

I agree wholeheartedly - japa is a great compliment to AYP.

Thank you for sharing. We seem to be on the same wavelength - much love to you.

kami

Edited by - kami on Jan 06 2011 5:40:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  7:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From the school of Ramana and Nisargadatta...

Mentally repeating "I AM" or "I" is quite powerful as well.

When these words are uttered it seems attention is automatically turned towards the source.

But whatever works. You could probably repeat "three-toed sloth" over and over again. If the intention and emotion was in the right place and you did it dilligently enough, it would probably have an effect.

Well, either that or you would start picking fleas off your dog and eating them:)

Personally, it's not as much as what you say but as you noted, it's how you say it.

Also, it seems good to stick to one mantra, over time you will start to resonate with the mantra, as the mantra.

Jumping around from mantra to mantra never allows for this resonance with your "being" to infuse.

Im sure you've heard the story of digging to many wells

Edited by - wakeupneo on Jan 06 2011 7:19:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  11:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi wakeupneo

Agree - the intention + emotion are key for japa. However, from what I've read and heard, not all mantras are equal in their effects. For example, there are certain "Beej" (seed) mantras that are supposedly very powerful and some schools of thought recommend that they be taken on ritualistically. Others, such as the Gayatri Mantra and Mahamrutyunjaya Mantra are extremely potent - the Gayatri is the oldest known mantra, since the Rig Vedic times.. Both these mantras have been discussed on these forums.. According to Easwaran, Ram Dass and others, certain mantras like "Hail Mary", "Om Mani Padme Hum", "Hare Krishna", etc have the effects they do because of the collective bhakti infused into them by innumerable japa yogis using them over hundreds of years.

I suppose if enough people over enough time repeated "three-toed sloth", that could have the same effect?

kami

Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kami
According to Easwaran, Ram Dass and others, certain mantras like "Hail Mary", "Om Mani Padme Hum", "Hare Krishna", etc have the effects they do because of the collective bhakti infused into them by innumerable japa yogis using them over hundreds of years.

I suppose if enough people over enough time repeated "three-toed sloth", that could have the same effect?

Hi Kami, wakeupneo and Mr. Anderson,

I agree that "collective bhakti" infuses an effect on a mantra, but I would add that there is an infused effect on all yoga practice. When I do my practices, part of my intention is to tune into a pool of collective bhakti. It is kind of like choosing a radio station. Different practices, have different communally infused qualities.

Namaste,

Be

PS as to repeating the phrase "three-toed sloth" as a mantra, I would strongly recommend using "sloth" as the mantra and "three-toed" as a enhancement only for people who have the first part down

Edited by - bewell on Jan 07 2011 3:39:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  10:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi wakeupneo

Agree - the intention + emotion are key for japa. However, from what I've read and heard, not all mantras are equal in their effects. For example, there are certain "Beej" (seed) mantras that are supposedly very powerful and some schools of thought recommend that they be taken on ritualistically. Others, such as the Gayatri Mantra and Mahamrutyunjaya Mantra are extremely potent - the Gayatri is the oldest known mantra, since the Rig Vedic times.. Both these mantras have been discussed on these forums.. According to Easwaran, Ram Dass and others, certain mantras like "Hail Mary", "Om Mani Padme Hum", "Hare Krishna", etc have the effects they do because of the collective bhakti infused into them by innumerable japa yogis using them over hundreds of years.

kami

Hey Kami,

Agree totally with you that different mantras do have different qualities.

Having been down the manta initiation path, currently have been initiated into 3 supreme mantras and have come across dozens of others that claim to be the supreme mantra

What have all these supreme mantras done for me? Well the supreme mantras and $2 might get me a cup of coffee at starbucks... however given inflation and such, I'm not even sure that is the case anymore :)

It seems that often seekers tend to put the emphasis on the mantra and not have any comittment and devotion to it.

They find a new supreme mantra at the spiritual buffett and try that out, god knows I did.

hope all is well, thanks for your replies!

j
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  10:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bewell

quote:
According to Easwaran, Ram Dass and others, certain mantras like "Hail Mary", "Om Mani Padme Hum", "Hare Krishna", etc have the effects they do because of the collective bhakti infused into them by innumerable japa yogis using them over hundreds of years.

Hi Kami, wakeupneo and Mr. Anderson,

I agree that "collective bhakti" infuses an effect on a mantra, but I would add that there is an infused effect on all yoga practice. When I do my practices, part of my intention is to tune into a pool of collective bhakti. It is kind of like choosing a radio station. Different practices, have different communally infused qualities.

Namaste,

Be

PS as to repeating the phrase "three-toed sloth" as a mantra, I would strongly recommend using "sloth" as the mantra and "three-toed" as a enhancement only for people who have the first part down

I second BeWell's caution. Experienced some severe overload when starting off with "three toed"

Edited by - wakeupneo on Jan 10 2011 10:44:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  10:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
What have all these supreme mantras done for me? Well the supreme mantras and $2 might get me a cup of coffee at starbucks... however given inflation and such, I'm not even sure that is the case anymore :)

No mantra is getting me my "tall extra-hot soy chai latte" at Starbucks without plunking down $4 for it! Maybe I should switch to "three toed sloth" with solar centering added for good measure and see what happens?

Love to you,
kami
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  11:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

No mantra is getting me my "tall extra-hot soy chai latte" at Starbucks without plunking down $4 for it! Maybe I should switch to "three toed sloth" with solar centering added for good measure and see what happens?

Maybe you should try the "Sri Free Latte" mantra?

Love!
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  11:56:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson
Somehow the mantra Nam Myoho Renge Kyo came to mind, a mantra given to me many years ago, and I began chanting it (within my mind, not out loud) with applying the full heat of my emotion to it.

In fact, I ended up chanting it for about 5 days, morning to evening. I was offering all passions of my heart to the mantra.

Mr. Anderson

I know you said you chanted it mentally, and not out loud, but I found a YouTube video of audible chanting of "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sqrtj9p7ZU

It helped me understand and appreciate what you were saying a little more, although I do not know whether it accurately reflective of your use/pronunciation of the chant silently.

Namaste

Be

Edited by - bewell on Jan 10 2011 11:56:47 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000