Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The Search
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  7:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just recently came across this guy (Mooji)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pS_...ture=related
and am very impressed. I just have a question that has been pestering me ever since I started listening to Adyashanti. They both keep saying that you dont need 'to search' for enlightenment, or 'do anything'...That makes sense in some ways but how does following a regular meditation practice fit in with it? Isnt that 'doing something' ..arent we purifying our nervous system to be able to handle the big E when it does happen? Dont get me wrong..the benefits so far of AYP have been life-altering and beautiful but Im confused as to why these people dont seem to mention meditating or Kundalinis or anything like (or maybe I missed it..) Any input would be appreciated!

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  10:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
While it may create nice talking points, the "do nothing" approach is seriously out of touch with the majority of people. It is the perspective of one who has already "attained", or at least knows how to speak as if they have. From the standpoint of nonduality, there is nothing to be done and no one to do it. However, from the standpoint of an average person this message does little but create more ideas for the mind to play with. It does nothing to address the compulsively reactive nature of our minds, which is the real work to be done. If one still has a mind that is habitually and compulsively reactive, "doing nothing", or "letting go" is not even yet possible.

Edited by - Clear White Light on Nov 16 2010 11:35:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  11:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a great thread about this several years ago, but I can't find it. Yogani also has a lesson about it. I will attempt to summarize. There are many paths to enlightenment, so those sages who didn't use meditation practices will say they are not the way. Others did use meditation, but after reaching enlightenment, they tend to discount how much of a role meditation played in the process. Instead of talking about how to get there for the first time, they talk about how they personally maintain their presence. Once enlightened, they also realize that meditation was not necessary for enlightenment, and tend to discount it for that reason as well. After all, the pure consciousness of enlightenment is already here for all of us, right behind the clouds. Even though meditation may not be necessary, it is still useful. Hopefully somebody who's been around longer can dig up that old thread.
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  12:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks both of you:) so...Once one is enlightened they no longer meditate?
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  01:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I can't answer that one yet - but from what I understand, it's more like they are "meditating" all the time - even in the daily activity.

Edited by - JDH on Nov 17 2010 06:25:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  03:37:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi failforever,

Yogani talks about this subject in lesson 84 - the art of doing nothing http://www.aypsite.org/84.html. Maybe it will help to answer your questions.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  11:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi faileforever,

The way I see it is that when you get to the place where things just flow, there is no need to "try" to get anywhere and even if the person is meditating in a structured practice it sort of happens by itself, and I read in "I AM THAT" by Nisargadatta Maharaj, that once this is happening, everything the person does is evolutionary, as can be seen in people like Adyashanti, Mooji and others. And sometimes a structured practice is really not necessary, you just do what flows with no effort.

I do think that the structured practice is opening you more and more to that reality, and once you begin, if you just surrender to that inner pull towards Truth, it all fits into place.

Love and Light (:

Edited by - Yonatan on Nov 17 2010 11:06:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  1:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I read Yogani's take on this and did not really understand it until recently.

Some people are born at a point which means, for whatever reason they either meditate little or not at all. Once they have reached this point they have no idea of what went before.

It's like learning to drive a car. Some people just take to it naturally and can almost drive without any lessons at all, others take many years and can hardly start the engine.

Once you learn to drive the car you can't really tell anyone how you did it. Most just say something like 'just listen to the instructor and most of all relax'. The reality was plenty of practise, even during sleep or sat at a desk. The practise is the same as meditating.

If you can just get in a car and drive what do you tell people who ask which is the best way to learn. 'well just jump in, start the engine and off you go, easy as pie' which is alright for the blessed few and not for the majority.
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  2:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks these posts are very helpful. I very much agree Yonatan about getting to a place where things just seem to flow and you dont feel you need to 'try' and accomplish something or reach a goal..in fact things start flowing so well that you wonder if you even need to meditate anymore because they are flowing oh so nicely but you do.
So, if these people have done all this work in their past lives (which makes a lot of sense to me) and come back pretty close to enlightened or enlightened, why do they not draw the same conclusions that we do? Why wouldnt they think to themselves 'hmnn, I must have done a lot of work in my past lives, thats how Ive come to this point,' and then spread that message instead of the 'do nothing' approach? Thanks again for all of your responses, very much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  4:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by faileforever

Thanks both of you:) so...Once one is enlightened they no longer meditate?

Enlightenment is just a hairy word. As there can be no end to enlightenment, just further and further dissolution into the mystery.

What neo gathers from limited experience and research is that...

Meditation just happens or doesn't happen for that matter.

Life is spontaneous.

The question ---- who meditates?

You have embodied the essence of meditation.

You act, speak, and think from the silence.

You are in constant and conscious recognition of truth at all times.

Meditation or chopping wood, you have fully embodied your true nature there is no more forgetting.

No more fluctuations. "got it" "lost it" dissapears--- you are IT

Edited by - wakeupneo on Nov 17 2010 5:07:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  10:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by faileforever
So, if these people have done all this work in their past lives (which makes a lot of sense to me) and come back pretty close to enlightened or enlightened, why do they not draw the same conclusions that we do? Why wouldnt they think to themselves 'hmnn, I must have done a lot of work in my past lives, thats how Ive come to this point,' and then spread that message instead of the 'do nothing' approach? Thanks again for all of your responses, very much appreciated.

Who can say why anyone does what they do? Sometimes we can hardly understand why we do the things we ourselves do. I think it is more important to just stick with what we know through our own personal experience to be effective.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000