Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Yogani ji's Guru?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  09:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier but I would like to know who is Yogani ji's Guru?

And is Yogani ji friend/related with Swami Jnaneshvara (aka Swami J)?

Thanks.

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  11:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi manigma:

My teachers were quite a few over the years, across a variety of traditions that I prefer not to name, so as to avoid unnecessary distractions. AYP does not rely on any lineage to project credibility, and must stand on its own, based on the direct experiences of those who use it -- it is about cause and effect.

And no, I have no relationship with Swami J. He was actually following AYP for a while in the early days, but departed the scene when I refused to get into identifying (labeling) particular levels of samadhi in practitioners for the application of particular practices. It is apparently what he does in his approach.

His way is respected, of course, but that is not the AYP way. Over time, I think we have gotten a pretty good handle on the overall process of human spiritual transformation via "self-directed" practice, which has been the objective since the beginning.

So, while AYP stands on the shoulders of many who have gone before, it is also an original approach that aims to empower the individual practitioner.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  10:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
AYP is a destillation of some of the best techniques of different sources unified into a set of tools with the great addition of self-pacing, making it availabe for everyone.

If you look closely @manigma, you can at least guess where Yogani had his resources and helps.

Patanjali could be surely named in general.

Within those 8 limbs:
----
DM would say hello to TM, but uses a different main-mantra anyway.
Samyama AYP-style would also flirt with TM from time to time =P
SBP seems to like Yogananda's simplified Kriya Pranayama very much.
Mudras and Asanas derive from many Hindu-sources anyway (e.g. Hatha Yoga Pradipika).
Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka would never say no to a charming smile of Yogananda :)
Navi Kriya AYP-style has a source I have not come across so far. Perhaps own-found?
Chin Pump is something that is even found in sufi traditions, but the AYP version has a special liking to the guys who came after Lahiri Baba.
Spinal Bhastrika Pranayama seems to be something new again from Yogani himself.
Same goes for Heart Breathing and Cosmic Samyama, while the latter gives an eyeblink to Patanjali.
Tantra has hindu and taoistic elements and a lot from Yogani himself.
Whole Body Mudra smiles at Yogani's own extatic nervous system.
Yama and Niyama with its different aspects like cleansing, service to others etc. could have many sources, but surely would always give a handshake to some hindu scriptures ^^
Self-Inquiery could derive from some cool people like Ramana, Adya and Co, but with a BIG add-on of Yogani's own very helpful insight which handles the topic of practices and ripeness.
-----

Not to forget, that everything went through Yogani, purified and newly empowered as a whole working system that is testable by everyone and with so far great results.

The openness and amazing details into some practices together with the decade-long experiental knowledge that the lessons offer, make AYP really something unavoidable. Even if it just remains as "food for thought" for some.

The more AYP develops, the more people want to know the roots. I'd say that is natural cause and effect. And hey, as long as AYP does good, there should be nothing to worry anyway. The roots are creme de la creme, so nothing else than a big Thanks remains :)
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  02:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani
My teachers were quite a few over the years, across a variety of traditions that I prefer not to name, so as to avoid unnecessary distractions.

Dear Yogani ji

Thank you for replying and I understand.

Its just that I was searching Yoga Nidra on Google when I came across this page: http://www.swamij.com/yoga-nidra.htm

I found the writing style similar to yours and I thought you and Swami J might have studied in the same school or else.

He also mentions the word Advanced and has Spinal Breathing in its methods which I thought was an AYP developed method. But as you said, he does give a lot of detailed explanation (labelling levels etc) in traditional and modern way.

I also recently discovered the great significance of 'I AM' in advanced stages of meditation. I must say that I do not follow I AM mantra as styled in AYP but it happens automatically in deep meditation. Like Nisargadatta says: I AM remains when all else dissolves.

I don't know if the Guru is in me or I am in the Guru. But one thing is sure.

I am.

Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  07:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Manigma,

Spinal breathing is found in different forms in different Yoga traditions accross India. Mostly in Kriya Yoga traditions. The spinal breathing that SwamiJ is teaching is not the same as that taught in AYP, and would actually count here as a dangerous practice to be avoided by beginners (which I'm sure you know), because it uses the central channel between root and crown.

Here are the instructions from his website:

quote:
Exhale as though you are breathing from the top of the head down to the perineum at the base of the spine.
Inhale as though you are breathing from the perineum at the base of the spine, up to the top of the head.
Exhale and inhale many times in this way, exhaling down and inhaling up.
Imagine that the breath is flowing in a thin, milky white stream from top to bottom, and bottom to top. It does not matter whether or not you literally see the stream with your inner eye, but know that this stream of energy is actually there in the subtle body, and will someday be experienced directly.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  09:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi
The spinal breathing that SwamiJ is teaching is not the same as that taught in AYP, and would actually count here as a dangerous practice to be avoided by beginners (which I'm sure you know), because it uses the central channel between root and crown.

It means fasten your seat belt Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is going bye-bye.
~Cypher - The Matrix

I guess any practice done without some purification first and improper routine/guidance can prove dangerous. Unless of course you know where the emergency eject button is.

Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  09:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Manigma,

As somebody said, " Guru is spelt- Gee(G)... you(U) are(R) you(U)"!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  09:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Manigma,

I wouldn't say that any practice can prove dangerous- there are many that can be utilized safely by beginners. There are just a few which should be cautioned against. SwamiJ's spinal breathing practice, in my own experience, would be one of them.

Root to Crown spinal breathing discussion

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Oct 23 2010 09:42:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  03:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by krcqimpro1

Hi Manigma,

As somebody said, " Guru is spelt- Gee(G)... you(U) are(R) you(U)"!

Exactly!

The guru is a tremendous magnet, with only one difference. The difference is: when you are pulled towards a guru you suddenly feel that you are being pulled inwards, not outwards. Being pulled towards the guru and at the same time you are being pulled inwards -- a very strange paradoxical phenomenon.

The closer you come to your guru, the closer you come to yourself. The more you become attracted towards the guru, the more you become independent. The more you become surrendered to the guru, the more you feel that you have freedom you never had before.

The guru is one who pulls you towards himself just to throw you back into your own being. He functions as a mediator; via the guru, you arrive at your own self. His whole effort is to make you yourself.

A true guru will never impose himself upon you. He will never impose his life-style on you. He will never give you any rigid discipline. He will not enforce anything on you, regiment you.

He will help you to be yourself, whatsoever that is. He will help to give you more and more understanding about yourself. You will become more and more centered, rooted, near him. More and more you will feel he has given you back to yourself -- that which was lost or forgotten, he has made you aware of it.

~Osho (Ecstasy - The Forgotten Language)
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  04:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I wouldn't say that any practice can prove dangerous- there are many that can be utilized safely by beginners.

I can't say for sure Christi. I was a pure atheist 4 years ago. One day I saw this photo of an old monk sitting silently and I copied him... and boom!!

Only I know how bad was my condition.

And what was my practice?

I just sat.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  05:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Manigma,

Being a pure atheist, doesn't mean you were a beginner. You could be very far along the path because of practices done in past lives.

This is a quote from lesson 85:

quote:
If she does, it can be up into a nervous system that is not ready, not purified enough. This is premature awakening, and is the cause of most extreme kundalini experiences. It is a tricky business, because someone may not have done any kundalini stimulation in this life and still be susceptible to premature kundalini awakening. Their nervous system seems to be wired for it. Maybe they did these practices in a past life and now have to stabilize it. Who knows? But there is no doubt that some are susceptible to premature awakening of kundalini. You will know soon enough if you are. If you are, you will have to be careful.

http://www.aypsite.org/85.html

All the best,

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  06:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Manigma,

p.s.

I hope things have smoothed out for you by now, and your condition has improved!
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  08:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Being a pure atheist, doesn't mean you were a beginner. You could be very far along the path because of practices done in past lives.

Interesting turn this thread has taken. I don't want to belabour the point but it may not be necessary to look at past lives in this context - from my own experience, the 'thinking' atheist has already engaged (quite possibly unknowingly) in a lot of deep inquiry, has faced and recognised the illusory nature of his or her beliefs, has investigated their origin, in short - has really studied, weighed, considered and, finally, discarded those beliefs. And once that has been done, there is an immense 'letting go'. Which may well precipitate an opening experience. It certainly happened that way for me.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  08:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is my belief that atheism may not be a dislike of God or the concept of god, as much as a dislike of what man has done with it.
One aspect of AYP that is extremely important is that Yogani doesn't put himself on a pedestal.

All major religions have been "hijacked" by people putting themselves on a pedestal! They begin with someone having religious experiences that were valid, and the desire to share that with others. Eventually someone notices that the religion attracts followers, and they decide to be a leader of the followers.

This process has always been doomed, and the funny thing about it, is the underlying religion may still be quite valid!
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  02:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Manigma,

p.s.

I hope things have smoothed out for you by now, and your condition has improved!

You know things always smooth out in the end no matter the dream was pleasant or nightmare.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  03:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Manigma,

Good to hear.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000