AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Question about Chin Pumping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  7:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I was just reading over the Chin Pumping lesson, and I realized something....

I have been doing this exact exercise for years! In fact, i would say it is one of the first things i began doing to deal with kundalini, and certainly before i ever had tried any exercises or practices besides asanas.

interesting! I would be interested in your experiences with Chin Pumping.

As for me... Yogani indicates that "a little" neck crunching is normal. For me, the neck crunching was serious business for about five years. I mean really loud neck crunching (and no, it never hurt). The crunching is all gone now, but i am really curious, what creates that crunching???

peace

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  6:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just wanted to bump this up because i really would like an explanation for the neck "crunching" phenomenon :)

Has anyone else found these movements to be so intuitive?

I suppose this supports the idea that all Yoga has been obtained through observing the natural inclinations of the nervous system.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  12:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One more time, I'm just hoping that somebody has an idea of what the neck crunching is.

Its kept me curious for a long time! Please, anyone, if you know what it might be, or would like to speculate, i would appreciate your input!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  12:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tonightsthenight

One more time, I'm just hoping that somebody has an idea of what the neck crunching is.

Its kept me curious for a long time! Please, anyone, if you know what it might be, or would like to speculate, i would appreciate your input!

Hi tonightsthenight:

Why do bones crunch when we do anything? Probably best to consult a medical source on that. It is not something esoteric. The main thing is not to overdo it with chin pump, or any practice -- self-pace both physically and energetically.

There is also a physical "thump" that may occur in the chest during the downward sweep of chin pump, particularly if kumbhaka is in use. Can't tell you exactly what that is either, but there surely must be an anatomical reason.

It is about cultivating purification and opening in the subtle neurobiology, which is why we use these techniques. In time, with a balanced routine of practices, less movement produces more results, and macro-movements evolve to become micro-movements. More stillness and more flowing ecstatic bliss.

Sorry, not very focused on the bony part of it here.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  4:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

[/quote]
Hi tonightsthenight:

Why do bones crunch when we do anything? Probably best to consult a medical source on that. It is not something esoteric. The main thing is not to overdo it with chin pump, or any practice -- self-pace both physically and energetically.

There is also a physical "thump" that may occur in the chest during the downward sweep of chin pump, particularly if kumbhaka is in use. Can't tell you exactly what that is either, but there surely must be an anatomical reason.

It is about cultivating purification and opening in the subtle neurobiology, which is why we use these techniques. In time, with a balanced routine of practices, less movement produces more results, and macro-movements evolve to become micro-movements. More stillness and more flowing ecstatic bliss.

Sorry, not very focused on the bony part of it here.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

[/quote]

Thanks for your input, Yogani

I guess I'll just have to accept that the neck crunching is a mystery

I am in agreement with you that the macro movements become micro movements

In the beginning, my "chin pump" consisted of large radius sweeping movements (which i understand can be dangerous, but this was completely automatic), and now when i do it they consist of much more nuanced movements...
Go to Top of Page

Arim

USA
27 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  12:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tonightsthenight,

That neck sound that sounds like rice crispies popping or like gravel grinding when you turn your neck is called "crepitus". A chiropractor once told me that it's bone moving against either bone or cartilage and it may or may not be suggestive of some arthritis. It's a common thing.

It's nice to know what's going on in your body because then fear doesn't stop one from going forward in one's practice.

Blessings,
Mira
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  4:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, thanks Arim!

I hope this means i don't have arthritus!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000