Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Advice for traveling to ashram in India for summer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jory

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  3:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jory's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I know a lot of you have experience here about places in India so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

I want to go to India this summer and live in an ashram for a month or two. I would like to just meditate and clean/work/cook around the ashram—-is this just a pipe dream or is this possible?

I don’t have much money so I think I can get my family to transfer me frequent flyer mile points for the airfare. Also, I believe it costs little to nothing to live in an ashram if I’ve heard correctly.

I’m just wondering if people here had any good resources I could look at or call. Are there any ashrams that you could recommend? What would be a good city to fly into? Which places would be safe for an American?

Thank you so much for the help,

Jory

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  7:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
if you want you can stay at my house, I dont live in india but you can clean the house, work in the garden, and cook some food. You can meditate under the tree out back.
have fun
brother neil
Go to Top of Page

Peter

Italy
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  05:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jory, I see you're located in Minnesota - if you're anywhere near Minneapolis, you might want to check out these folks:

http://www.themeditationcenter.org

Their teacher, Swami Veda Bharati, has an ashram in Rishikesh. I don't know much about it, but I know they're open to visitors staying for extended periods and they are serious about meditation and yoga.
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  12:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Rishikesh is a good place. Thw weather would be lovely. If you stay for a couple of weeks, you would probably be expected to donate abou $100 for your stay and board.
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  2:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bihar school of yoga or Shivananda? Very solid at least.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000