Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Neurobiology of the Heart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stillness

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  02:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit stillness's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Heart,...%20Salem.pdf

Heart and emotions

It is long known that changes in emotions are accompanied by predictable changes in the heart rate, blood pressure, respiration and digestion. So, when we are aroused, the sympathetic division of the autonomic nervous system energizes us for fight or flight, and in more quiet times, the parasympathetic component cools us down. In this view, it was assumed that the autonomic nervous system and the physiological responses moved in concert with the brain’s response to a given stimulus (Rein, Atkinson, et al, 1995).

The heart and brain

However, following several years of research, it was observed that, the heart communicates with the brain in ways that significantly affect how we perceive and react to the world. It was found that, the heart seemed to have its own peculiar logic that frequently diverged from the direction of the autonomic nervous system. The heart appeared to be sending meaningful messages to the brain that it not only understood, but also obeyed (Lacey and Lacey, 1978). Later, neurophysiologists discovered a neural pathway and mechanism whereby input from the heart to the brain could inhibit or facilitate the brain’s electrical activity (McCraty, 2002)

The brain in the heart:

After extensive research, Armour (1994) introduced the concept of functional ‘heart brain’. His work revealed that the heart has a complex intrinsic nervous system that is sufficiently sophisticated to qualify as a ‘little brain’ in its own right. The heart’s brain is an intricate network of several types of neurons, neurotransmitters, proteins and support cells similar to those found in the brain proper. Its elaborate circuitry enables it to act independently of the cranial brain – to learn, remember, and even feel and sense. The heart’s nervous system contains around 40,000 neurons, called sensory neurites (Armour, 1991). Information from the heart - including feeling sensations - is sent to the brain through several afferents. These afferent nerve pathways enter the brain at the area of the medulla, and cascade up into the higher centres of the brain, where they may influence perception, decision making and other cognitive processes (Armour, 2004).

Thus, it was revealed that the heart has its own intrinsic nervous system that operates and processes information independently of the brain or nervous system. This is what allows a heart transplant to work. Normally, the heart communicates with the brain via nerve fibres running through the vagus nerve and the spinal column. In a heart transplant, these nerve connections do not reconnect for an extended period of time; in the meantime, the transplanted heart is able to function in its new host only through the capacity of its intact, intrinsic nervous system (Murphy, et al, 2000)

The heart’s magnetic field:

Research has also revealed that the heart communicates information to the brain and throughout the body via electromagnetic field interactions. The heart generates the body’s most powerful and most extensive rhythmic electromagnetic field. The heart’s magnetic component is about 500 times stronger than the brain’s magnetic field and can be detected several feet away from the body. It was proposed that, this heart field acts as a carrier wave for information that provides a global synchronizing signal for the entire body (McCraty, Bradley & Tomasino, 2004)

Heart field interactions between individuals

There is now evidence that a subtle yet influential electromagnetic or ‘energetic’ communication system operates just below our conscious awareness. Energetic interactions possibly contribute to the ‘magnetic’ attractions or repulsions that occur between individuals, and also affect social relationships. It was also found that one person’s brain waves can synchronize to another person’s heart (McCraty, 2004).

Communication via hormones: the heart as a hormonal gland

Another component of the heart-brain communication system was provided by researchers studying the hormonal system. The heart was reclassified as an endocrine gland when, in 1983, a hormone produced and released by the heart called atrial natriuretic factor (ANF) was isolated. This hormone exerts its effect on the blood vessels, on the kidneys, the adrenal glands, and on a large number of regulatory regions in the brain. It was also found that the heart contains a cell type known as ‘intrinsic cardiac adrenergic’’ (ICA) cells. Theses cells release noradrenaline and dopamine neurotransmitters, once thought to be produced only by neurons in the CNS. More recently, it was discovered that the heart also secretes oxytocin, commonly referred to as the ‘love’ or bonding hormone. In addition to its functions in childbirth and lactation, recent evidence indicates that this hormone is also involved in cognition, tolerance, adaptation, complex sexual and maternal behaviours, learning social cues and the establishment of enduring pair bonds. Concentrations of oxytocin in the heart were found to be as high as those found in the brain (Cantin & Genest, 1986).

Increasing psychophysiological coherence

Data indicate that when heart rhythm patterns are coherent, the neural information sent to the brain facilitates cortical function. This effect is often experienced as heightened mental clarity, improved decision making and increased creativity. Additionally, coherent input from the heart tends to facilitate the experience of positive feeling states. This may explain why most people associate love and other positive feelings with the heart and why many people actually feel or sense these emotions in the area of the heart. So, the heart seems to be intimately involved in the generation of psychophysiological coherence (Tille et al, 1996, & McCraty, 2000).

The heart and amygdala

Research has shown that the heart’s afferent neurological signals directly affect activity in the amygdala and associated nuclei, an important emotional processing centre in the brain. The amygdala is the key brain centre that coordinates behavioural, immunological, and neuroendocrine responses to environmental threats. It compares incoming emotional signals with stored emotional memories, and accordingly makes instantaneous decisions about the level of perceived threat. Due to its extensive connections to the limbic system, it is able to take over the neural pathways, activating the autonomic nervous system and emotional response before the higher brain centres receive the sensory information (Rein, McCraty and Atkinson, 1995 & McCraty et al, 1995).

The heart and intuition

A very interesting research finding has been that the heart is involved in the processing and decoding of intuitive information (McCraty, Atkinson & Bradley, 2004). Previous data suggests that the heart’s field was directly involved in intuitive perception, through its coupling to an energetic information field outside the bounds of space and time (Childre & McCraty, 2001). Using a rigorous experimental design; there was evidence that both the heart and brain receive and respond to information about a future event before the event actually happens. Even more surprising was that the heart appeared to receive this intuitive information before the brain (McCraty, Atkinson & Bradley, 2004).

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  08:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stillness,
Terrific information ! Thanks for sharing. Is there any research to show that these "new" dimensions of the heart are more predominant in females than in males ? I would guess so !

Krish
Go to Top of Page

stillness

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  10:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit stillness's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed a beautiful manifestation of Goddess in human females is unconditional Love and nourishment, the foundation of a healthy family. In balanced female individuals this is a natural manifestation.

From the article posted above:

quote:
"More recently, it was discovered that the heart also secretes oxytocin, commonly referred to as the ‘love’ or bonding hormone. In addition to its functions in childbirth and lactation, recent evidence indicates that this hormone is also involved in cognition, tolerance, adaptation, complex sexual and maternal behaviours, learning social cues and the establishment of enduring pair bonds."

The heart centre produces hormones which bond the female to her mate sexually and emotionally, as well as being strongly activated during pregnancy and after child birth to bond the mother to the child.

On a strictly biological level, these characteristics help ensure the survival of the species by enforcing a bond with a male provider which will produce offspring that will be cared for and protected unconditionally.

I would also say however that the potential for heart chakra activation and the flowing of unconditional Love in males is the same as that of females and that it serves the same purposes (bonding/continuation of species), though on a biological level it is triggered in a slightly different manner.

I believe there have been studies which have shown that chemical changes take place in males who are bonded strongly to their female mates during the female's pregnancy. Perhaps the electro-magnetic auras of the couple's hearts communicate with one another, or it is via pheromones, or both.

At any rate, our biological machinery is only one piece of the puzzle. I would say it's possible that a blazing heart chakra might initially be more natural for most females than for most males, as it is in their nature to be Love generators, but that outpouring unconditional Love is the birth right of any and all human beings and is attainable whether or not they are male or female.

Namaste :)
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  12:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When people say that emotions are felt in the heart and intuitions are felt in the heart and love is felt in the heart, i have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  2:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
When people say that emotions are felt in the heart and intuitions are felt in the heart and love is felt in the heart, i have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

I think its because in most people strong emotions produce a sensation in the middle of the chest in the area people associate with the heart
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  3:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I was in a previous (troubled) relationship I used to get very sad at night as I lay awake, unable to sleep, next to my partner who always slept soundly....and this sadness used to produce stabbing pains in the heart area that were almost unbearable. I eventually ended (for a brief period) our relationship because these "heart pains" were more then I was able to bear. Now I get the heart pains for the exact opposite emotion. I get overwhelming feelings of joy and love that produce "heart pains". What is with that anyways!?

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

stillness

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  04:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit stillness's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Where did steve's posts go? A forum member named steve made two posts in this thread and now they are mysteriously gone.

Strange!
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  10:52:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stillness,

I was not sure about proper Forum etiquette. Outside of 'Other Systems of Spiritual Practices' or 'Books, Web Sites ...', did not know if it was appropriate to refer to another website regarding non-AYP spiritual practices so I deleted them. I was thinking of removing those references and reposting.

In response to your comment, Shanti emailed me regarding why I deleted.

I asked Shanti about this and she said that Yogani tries to keep the 'Deep Meditation' and 'Pranayama' forums focused on AYP techniques only so as not to confuse the new members.. but you can post what you wish in the other forums ... so I have reposted the original below.

Love and Light,
Steve

Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  10:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi,

I can understand your having 'no idea' about feeling in the heart because it is not understood with thought or experienced via the brain or mind. It is felt. The heart is the center of our finer feeling. And deeper within the heart chakra and spiritual heart which lies within is the spark of our divinity the atma or True Self. This is not conjecture or hypothesis. We are the True Self and this can be directly verified through our own experience.

For clarity of understanding, when I say the heart is the center of feeling, I mean finer feeling and am referring to love, joy, peace, calm that which unifies, unites and brings us together. Emotions which divide and separate enlarging the gulf between people like anger and hate are not felt in the heart. They are primarily felt in the solar plexus center. However, emotions like this can cause the formation of blockages that are deposited in the outer layers around the heart making it harder for one to feel the beautiful finer feelings that emanate from an open heart. When one says they feel a particular emotion in the heart, it is really a squeezing of the heart that is felt, a closing and shutting down of the heart caused by the blockages placed in the outer layers by the emotion. When that occurs, it becomes harder to feel the beautiful feelings from the heart and the emotion seemingly becomes even more intensified.

The proper functioning of the heart-brain connection is very important for our unfolding spiritual development and to live everyday life in an easy, happy, joyful way. However, for most folks at least the majority in western countries due to the nature of our schooling and educational methods and the orientation of our society, the heart-brain connection actually works in reverse complicating our life experience and adding stress to our lives.

As our heart opens and we begin to feel the beautiful feelings naturally arising and emanating from the heart, life changes. We learn to trust and rely more directly on Source's Love and less on our own individual ego-driven manipulations and control. We surrender more to what-is and the heart begins to reach out and bridge the gap between ourselves, others and the world. In-and-out, this-and-that begin to dissolve in our ever-deepening identification and experience of Source's Love, of who and what we are in essence.

Yogani and others on the forum writing about their opening hearts have also indicated this is not metaphorical but direct and experiential. From a heart perspective, there are actually a number of recognizable stages in the awakening of the heart. I highly encourage others to take the time to research and read Katrine's postings in the 'Bhakti, Jnana and Karma Yogas' section of the forum. In clearly spoken language, Katrine has shared many of the detailed nuances of different stages of a heart opening to True Source's Love. As our silence deepens with AYP practice, just quietly reading these posts can help to trigger and open the heart. They are written in a heart language beyond words which hearts respond to directly.

Opening the heart is not that hard to begin. It is about letting-go and not doing, allowing ourselves to feel the beautiful feelings inside our heart and letting True Source's most beautiful and complete Love help us directly. Most certainly AYP supports all of this.

More information regarding the functioning of the heart-brain connection can be found here:

http://heartsanctuary.org/index.php...temid=100030

The home page www.heartsanctuary.org can direct one to additional information and practices regarding opening the heart. There is a free introductory heart-smiling exercise and prayer-meditation (plus audio) that can be found from there. In my own practice and experience, I have found these and the more advanced follow-on heart practices learned in workshop and retreat to be extremely compatible with AYP. For me, their combination (AYP + heart practices) are mutually supportive each enhancing the other's working significantly. The synergy between the two have helped create a joyous momentum for me in living everyday life and sharing with others.

Love and Light,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  10:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,
quote:
Now I get the heart pains for the exact opposite emotion. I get overwhelming feelings of joy and love that produce "heart pains". What is with that anyways!?

A good question Carson and a common experience for many.

Understanding what is happening is important. There are many layers to the heart. Deposited within those layers are blockages from negative emotions, trauma, past lives, etc. As we begin to open our heart and let the Love work, the Love begins to dissolve and push out those blockages. That's why sometimes as we open our heart we can also temporarily re-experience emotions of sadness, grief, anger, etc., that played a part in the formation of the blockage. This is actually a good sign for the blockage and underlying cause is being released. What is important is to understand the process, not to get caught up in fear or block the process from completing.

In many ways it is similar to AYP DM using feeling vs thought (ie. mantra). As we enjoy the beautiful feelings arising within the heart, if an emotion emerges (ie. sadness), we don't try to resist it. We allow it (ie. the emotion) to wash through our system and be released. We are natural with this. As this is occurring, we stay within our heart, relaxing, smiling sweetly and freely to the heart (this can be an effortless inner smile), enjoying the beautiful feelings within the heart. But we don't force it. If the intensity of the emotion draws us away from the beautiful feelings, we allow the emotion to wash through and clear. As soon as the intensity of the emotion diminishes and we realize we are no longer 'enjoying' the beautiful feelings from the heart, we simply come back to relaxing, smiling sweetly and freely to the heart and enjoying the beautiful feeling.

An introductory smiling exercise is described more completely here http://heartsanctuary.org/index.php...temid=100025. Though introductory in nature it can assist in opening the heart.

Cleansing our heart is a very important part of the process to open our heart bigger. More information and a helpful prayer to achieve this can be found here http://heartsanctuary.org/index.php...temid=100039

Carson, in the situation you describe, the pain you feel is actually your resistance to letting the Love work and clear out the blockage. It's normal. We are learning a new process re-educating ourselves in the proper functioning of the heart. It takes time. The more we let go and learn to let the Love help us the easier it becomes.

Love and Light,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  11:42:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Steve and thanks for your awesome response! I wasn't really asking the question you are answering, (tried to indicate that with the winking smiley, but probably should have been more clear) as I already knew the answer, but I do really appreciate the detailed response and the links you posted as well. Thank you.
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

There are many layers to the heart. Deposited within those layers are blockages from negative emotions, trauma, past lives, etc.

The sadness I was talking about feeling in my post was happening to me during a past relationship about 5 maybe 6 years ago and I have not experienced the heart pains from sadness since I recovered from the loss of this relationship. At the time I thought I was slowly dying from sadness and depression (literally), but now I see this for what it was....extreme grief over the loss of what I felt to be everything I had been striving to achieve for almost 8 years at that point. Today these blockages are completely gone and I am able to have an unconditionally loving friendship with my former partner. For this I have deep gratitude to God.

quote:

As we begin to open our heart and let the Love work, the Love begins to dissolve and push out those blockages. That's why sometimes as we open our heart we can also temporarily re-experience emotions of sadness, grief, anger, etc., that played a part in the formation of the blockage. This is actually a good sign for the blockage and underlying cause is being released. What is important is to understand the process, not to get caught up in fear or block the process from completing.

In the heart opening I have been going through for the past couple of months I have not experienced the reliving of past emotions or trauma, but what I have experienced is extreme connection to other people's emotional states and pure joy that causes tears to flow despite all efforts to subdue them. I can't even watch my wife's "girly movies" as I call them.....I end up balling my eyes out because screen writers and directors these days are so good at pulling on the heart strings of the emotionally sensitive. And I have become such a person for the time being.

quote:

In many ways it is similar to AYP DM using feeling vs thought (ie. mantra). As we enjoy the beautiful feelings arising within the heart, if an emotion emerges (ie. sadness), we don't try to resist it. We allow it (ie. the emotion) to wash through our system and be released. We are natural with this. As this is occurring, we stay within our heart, relaxing, smiling sweetly and freely to the heart (this can be an effortless inner smile), enjoying the beautiful feelings within the heart. But we don't force it. If the intensity of the emotion draws us away from the beautiful feelings, we allow the emotion to wash through and clear. As soon as the intensity of the emotion diminishes and we realize we are no longer 'enjoying' the beautiful feelings from the heart, we simply come back to relaxing, smiling sweetly and freely to the heart and enjoying the beautiful feeling.

Yes, this is all very similar to my current practices in this area. As these emotions rise within I try to witness them arising, allow them to localize where they may, and release as they do. No pushing, no pulling, no effort...just witnessing what is. This often ends in tears for me though. Good tears. And when it ends I don't struggle to regain the feelings, I just allow the next emotion to arise as it will and watch it as I did the last. Borderline mindfullness meditation but while engaged in action.

quote:

An introductory smiling exercise is described more completely here http://heartsanctuary.org/index.php...temid=100025. Though introductory in nature it can assist in opening the heart.

Thank you for this.

quote:

Cleansing our heart is a very important part of the process to open our heart bigger. More information and a helpful prayer to achieve this can be found here http://heartsanctuary.org/index.php...temid=100039

And this as well.

quote:

Carson, in the situation you describe, the pain you feel is actually your resistance to letting the Love work and clear out the blockage. It's normal. We are learning a new process re-educating ourselves in the proper functioning of the heart. It takes time. The more we let go and learn to let the Love help us the easier it becomes.

Yes I recognize this as well. My biggest problem is that sometimes I don't have an immediate outlet for the outpouring divine love that I am recieving/giving. As you may know, I have recently had to take a job at the local homeless shelter as my "karma yoga" because it was too painful for me to have noone to give away this love that keeps wanting to gush from my soul to. It literally was too painful for me to just sit there and watch these feelings of loving everything arise but having noone to give this love to. (I would literally at some points be writhing in pain from the love I had noone to give to) The homeless shelter has been an extreme gift to me in this regards. Without it I would be a mess of loving emotion. This work helps to keep me balanced and also helps to keep my heart opening more and more. Thank you for your wonderful post and all the generous info. Much love.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jan 22 2009 11:47:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  7:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

Sorry, I missed the wink. Ha! Ha! As my fiance would probably say it's not the only thing I miss. Reminds me of a comment one of my teacher's made at a retreat I attended some time ago. He said you've all heard about Stevie Wonder, then pointing to me he said this is Stevie Wondering ... wondering about this ... wondering about that .... oh well, born to wonder, wander, miss things, whatever ...

Carson, I used the following quote from your post as a jump off point for this post. In my response, I have addressed you in some of the paragraphs. I do realize everything I say does not pertain to you and your response. However, your comment allowed me to share some related thoughts to points you mentioned. Please excuse the liberty I have taken. Thanks much for your reply.
quote:
Yes I recognize this as well. My biggest problem is that sometimes I don't have an immediate outlet for the outpouring divine love that I am recieving/giving. As you may know, I have recently had to take a job at the local homeless shelter as my "karma yoga" because it was too painful for me to have noone to give away this love that keeps wanting to gush from my soul to. It literally was too painful for me to just sit there and watch these feelings of loving everything arise but having noone to give this love to. (I would literally at some points be writhing in pain from the love I had noone to give to) The homeless shelter has been an extreme gift to me in this regards. Without it I would be a mess of loving emotion. This work helps to keep me balanced and also helps to keep my heart opening more and more.
Your work at the homeless shelter is a wonderful way to share the Love with others. Reading your posts and following all the beautiful changes in yourself and life have been an inspiration to me. Thanks for being so open and sharing so much. It is appreciated.

Regarding, the lack of an immediate outlet for the love, Carson we always have that. We can share love individually with others like the service you perform at the homeless shelter or with others we just come in casual contact with in our daily life. In a general sense, just allowing the Heart (not you, the ego) to smile sweetly and freely to every one that passes your way has an extremely uplifting and healing effect. We don't need to know what or how the love is working. AYP practices develop and unlock the pathways within our nervous system and bodies that help this happen. A happy smiling heart helps the love to flow in daily life.

In a more universal sense, the Love wants to flow freely to all beings and existence each and every moment of our lives. The Love knows what to do and how to do it the best. Part of opening the heart wider and deeper and becoming a better instrument for the Love is just allowing and letting go. Any time we attempt to direct the Love or control it in anyway, subtle or not, we limit its fullness and expression. The Love is free and complete and wants to give us the best always. The Love will provide whatever is needed and more if we let it. There's always the plus factor. Best to be as the 'empty canvas' allowing the Source of Love and Light, the True Source of our being to flow and outpicture Itself just the way It wants to. Then in every moment we are free, fully accepting the Gift of Love allowing it to love us and love others completely. This is Grace. This is Love.

When we use the mind to observe the pleasant feelings arising within the heart, this can diminish the heart's enjoying and begin to pull us out of the heart separating us from the Love. The Love is not a mental strategy or an object or emotion to be watched. It is a deeper aspect of who we are. We limit its flow when we watch it. The ability to enjoy its sweetness, to follow the beautiful feelings arising within the heart to deeper and deeper levels which allows the Love to radiate more freely and completely is dampened and reduced when we shift to watching the loving feelings. In the early stages of opening the heart, just letting go, feeling and enjoying the beautiful feelings arising within the heart leads to letting the love flow more freely.

I am not attempting to negate the importance or value of relational self-inquiry or the inner silence of the witness. The deepening inner silence cultivated in AYP DM gives us the freedom to more fully let go and feel the beautiful feelings arising from the heart to surrender completely to the flow of love. However, when we lack a foundation of deep inner silence and our watching is a mind looking at the loving feeling rather than a heart directly engaging and feeling the loving feeling, this creates an artificial separation between us and the Love. This is a common tendency many of us have when the heart begins to open. From another perspective, it describes a condition where part of us is in the head and part is in the heart. When we watch the loving feelings from the mind, we are not surrendering allowing the love to flow. It has the effect of pulling us out of the heart something like watching a movie of yourself making love with your beloved vs making love with your beloved. Not the same.

The important thing is we can learn from it. When we recognize the mind observing the heart feelings, we can easily come back to what is ... relaxing, smiling sweetly and freely to the heart (a soft inner smile), feeling and enjoying the beautiful feelings arising from the heart. As we continue to effortlessly follow and enjoy the feeling this will help bring us back into the heart. In time, as the enjoying deepens, a longing and natural gratitude springs forth from our inner being, a softness and sweetness emerges from the heart, joy erupts and love begins to flow and radiate even more freely to all life around.

There is always an outlet for the Love, especially so if we don't attempt to control or hold onto it. It wants to radiate freely to touch and bless all, everyone, all existence, everything. When we really let the Love work, there is no pain for as soon as the Love touches a blockage or limitation, it is immediately surrrendered and dissolved by the Love resulting in the Love radiating even more freely. When we feel pain, we can use it as a gift, as the facility and feedback system it's meant to be reminding us to let go more, to trust more and let the Love work.

Love and Light,
Steve

Edited by - Steve on Jan 23 2009 02:49:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  12:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Steve....

Thank you muchly for your in-depth and detailed response! Sorry it has taken me a while to respond, but I had a bit of a crazy day yesterday and needed some time to process that AND what you have said in your post. I feel sufficiently stable now and would like to respond.

quote:

I used the following quote from your post as a jump off point for this post. In my response, I have addressed you in some of the paragraphs. I do realize everything I say does not pertain to you and your response. However, your comment allowed me to share some related thoughts to points you mentioned. Please excuse the liberty I have taken.

No worries...glad you were able to use my post as a "jump off point".

quote:

Your work at the homeless shelter is a wonderful way to share the Love with others. Reading your posts and following all the beautiful changes in yourself and life have been an inspiration to me. Thanks for being so open and sharing so much. It is appreciated.

Your welcome, but I often get the feeling that I share too much and that this annoys many....I try to only share what I feel the need to, but sometimes that is a lot.

quote:

Regarding, the lack of an immediate outlet for the love, Carson we always have that.

Before I get into the bulk of your posting, I just want to clarify what I meant when I said I often feel a lacking of outlets for the outpouring Love. I spend much of my day in forced solitude. I am connected to the outside world for much of my day only via my 3 cell phones, my office phone, instant messaging and via email. This is all work related. I work during the day on a large complex (train yard) and I am very isolated. I direct all my employees via electronic communications because the complex is so large it is impossible for me to physically supervise the work I am in charge of. So I have to do it all remotely. And there isn't a lot of human communication even remotely as I have several actual supervisors who are the ones I direct at the beginning of the day, and then maybe at the end of the day as well unless there are unforseen issues. This affords me the opportunity to spend much time on the forum during the day, but I get very little actual human contact. And when I have these, lets call them "episodes", in which I have all this Love inside but noone around me to share it with, it can be very physically painful. Very similar to the feelings I would get when I was extremely sad about my previous relationship. Stabbing chest pains and lots of tears. I don't seem to get the release necessary if I try and focus the love on myself....not sure if this means anything or not.

quote:

We can share love individually with others like the service you perform at the homeless shelter or with others we just come in casual contact with in our daily life.

Unfortunately I don't see many others in "casual contact". As I am explaining this I feel very isolated and I never really clued in to how isolated I really am. Sure I have the homeless shelter, but this is still a "part time" job as the Centre is still trying to find the perfect full time position for me, and I have my wife and dogs, and my meditation groups, but I would venture a guess and say I spend 75% of my time alone. Not necessarily by choice but more by circumstance.

quote:

In a general sense, just allowing the Heart (not you, the ego) to smile sweetly and freely to every one that passes your way has an extremely uplifting and healing effect. We don't need to know what or how the love is working. AYP practices develop and unlock the pathways within our nervous system and bodies that help this happen. A happy smiling heart helps the love to flow in daily life.

No arguements there!!

quote:

In a more universal sense, the Love wants to flow freely to all beings and existence each and every moment of our lives.

Yes, I feel this strongly. But I feel sometimes that the Love gets "stuck" in my chest (causing the heart pains) when there is noone around to share this free flowing love with! My desk just doesn't soak it up the way I need it to!

quote:

The Love knows what to do and how to do it the best. Part of opening the heart wider and deeper and becoming a better instrument for the Love is just allowing and letting go. Any time we attempt to direct the Love or control it in anyway, subtle or not, we limit its fullness and expression.

So what I gather you are saying here is that even if there is noone around to share the Love with, it shouldn't matter....the reason I am getting these heart pains is because I am not allowing the Love to flow freely right?

quote:

The Love is free and complete and wants to give us the best always. The Love will provide whatever is needed and more if we let it. There's always the plus factor. Best to be as the 'empty canvas' allowing the Source of Love and Light, the True Source of our being to flow and outpicture Itself just the way It wants to. Then in every moment we are free, fully accepting the Gift of Love allowing it to love us and love others completely. This is Grace. This is Love.

So are you saying that you think that I should stop trying to find someone to be my outlet and just let go of the need for an outlet? Let the Love figure it out?

quote:

When we use the mind to observe the pleasant feelings arising within the heart, this can diminish the heart's enjoying and begin to pull us out of the heart separating us from the Love. The Love is not a mental strategy or an object or emotion to be watched. It is a deeper aspect of who we are. We limit its flow when we watch it.

When I talked about watching the Love arise, I meant from a state of non-judgement. Not watching with the mind, but watching as the witness.

quote:

The ability to enjoy its sweetness, to follow the beautiful feelings arising within the heart to deeper and deeper levels which allows the Love to radiate more freely and completely is dampened and reduced when we shift to watching the loving feelings.

You mean watching with the mind right?

quote:

In the early stages of opening the heart, just letting go, feeling and enjoying the beautiful feelings arising within the heart leads to letting the love flow more freely.

Yes this is my experience as well...at least when I have someone around to give the Love to. If I don't, the letting go seems to work itself out via chest pain and tears.

quote:

I am not attempting to negate the importance or value of relational self-inquiry or the inner silence of the witness. The deepening inner silence cultivated in AYP DM gives us the freedom to more fully let go and feel the beautiful feelings arising from the heart to surrender completely to the flow of love. However, when we lack a foundation of deep inner silence and our watching is a mind looking at the loving feeling rather than a heart directly engaging and feeling the loving feeling, this creates an artificial separation between us and the Love. This is a common tendency many of us have when the heart begins to open.

I don't think I am watching the Love arise from a place in the mind, but maybe I am? Who knows? I certainly don't feel "attached" to the feelings, and I don't feel special or elite because of them, and I really don't feel the need to control or manipulate the feelings in anyway either other then to try to release them in any way possible. This usually being in communication, silent or otherwise with another human being. (or animal too I guess. My dogs recieve a lot of love these days)

quote:

From another perspective, it describes a condition where part of us is in the head and part is in the heart. When we watch the loving feelings from the mind, we are not surrendering allowing the love to flow. It has the effect of pulling us out of the heart something like watching a movie of yourself making love with your beloved vs making love with your beloved. Not the same.

So how do I know if I am watching the feelings from the mind or from a place of inner silence? I thought I knew, but now I am second guessing myself.

quote:

The important thing is we can learn from it. When we recognize the mind observing the heart feelings, we can easily come back to what is ... relaxing, smiling sweetly and freely to the heart (a soft inner smile), feeling and enjoying the beautiful feelings arising from the heart. As we continue to effortlessly follow and enjoy the feeling this will help bring us back into the heart. In time, as the enjoying deepens, a longing and natural gratitude springs forth from our inner being, a softness and sweetness emerges from the heart, joy erupts and love begins to flow and radiate even more freely to all life around.

Honestly Steve, I'm sure I have experienced this. Believe me I used to be much more "mindy" then I am today. I do feel as though I have stopped viewing things from the minds perspective and started viewing things with my heart, and my demeanor and attitude changes have reflected this to most who have known me for any length of time. See this thread here for examples: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=4886.

quote:

There is always an outlet for the Love, especially so if we don't attempt to control or hold onto it. It wants to radiate freely to touch and bless all, everyone, all existence, everything. When we really let the Love work, there is no pain for as soon as the Love touches a blockage or limitation, it is immediately surrrendered and dissolved by the Love resulting in the Love radiating even more freely. When we feel pain, we can use it as a gift, as the facility and feedback system it's meant to be reminding us to let go more, to trust more and let the Love work.

Well my friend, I will do as you say then....when the chest pains and the tears feel the need to flow, I will just let go as much as is possible at the time....I won't try to control it, I won't try to limit it, localize it, do anything to it. And I will try not to watch it from a place in the mind as well. I will just try to experience it for what it is, and enjoy it in every way. Thank you again for your kind and well thought out reply. Much Love.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jan 23 2009 12:53:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  4:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

Wow, thanks for your detailed response. You are doing great. We are all learning and helping each other along the way. Every day I learn from you and others on the the forum and am grateful for each of you being here. As I said much of what I wrote was not directed to you personally. However, there may be some things in there that can be of value for your particular situation. As we chat further on this, perhaps others will bring some suggestions that may be more helpful for you. In opening your heart, alot of what you are currently experiencing others will also experience in one form or another as their hearts open so perhaps a discussion in this area can add more light and love to the process along with some practical suggestions. I will be away for a couple of days but as soon as I get back and have a chance I will respond to your reply.

Much Love to you dear brother ...
Steve
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  08:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sTILLNESS, THANKS FOR YOUR JAN 21ST RESPONSE POST.

KRISH
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  4:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you. I was away then when I came back had a backlog of work assignments that needed completed.
quote:
Before I get into the bulk of your posting, I just want to clarify what I meant when I said I often feel a lacking of outlets for the outpouring Love. I spend much of my day in forced solitude. I am connected to the outside world for much of my day only via my 3 cell phones, my office phone, instant messaging and via email. This is all work related. I work during the day on a large complex (train yard) and I am very isolated. I direct all my employees via electronic communications because the complex is so large it is impossible for me to physically supervise the work I am in charge of. So I have to do it all remotely. And there isn't a lot of human communication even remotely as I have several actual supervisors who are the ones I direct at the beginning of the day, and then maybe at the end of the day as well unless there are unforseen issues. This affords me the opportunity to spend much time on the forum during the day, but I get very little actual human contact. And when I have these, lets call them "episodes", in which I have all this Love inside but noone around me to share it with, it can be very physically painful. Very similar to the feelings I would get when I was extremely sad about my previous relationship. Stabbing chest pains and lots of tears. I don't seem to get the release necessary if I try and focus the love on myself....not sure if this means anything or not.
I also have a job where most of the day I am in my own cubicle working on the computer with no interaction with others. So in some ways we are in similar situations.
quote:
So what I gather you are saying here is that even if there is noone around to share the Love with, it shouldn't matter....the reason I am getting these heart pains is because I am not allowing the Love to flow freely right?
Yes, that is correct. One thing I did to encourage this kind of flow when others were not around was after meditation and samyama practice but before rest, I would do a few minutes of the smiling exercise and a prayer. Touching my heart, I would smile sweetly and freely to the heart without thinking where or how, feel and enjoy the beautiful feelings arising from the heart for a couple of minutes. Then with palms facing upward at chest level (ie. heart level), I would pray, “Beloved True Source please bless our hearts. May Your Love and Light outpour, flow and radiate without limitation in all directions touching and blessing the hearts of all beings and existence, just the way You want it to.” At that point, I would do nothing and just let the Love work in this way for 5 to 10 minutes. The palms facing upward at heart level is a mudra assisting the flow. During this time, the heart is smiling, enjoying the beautiful feelings and flow of love and the inner being is grateful to have the opportunity. I would also do this periodically throughout the day for a few minutes here and there as opportunities arose during my day at work.
quote:
quote:

The Love is free and complete and wants to give us the best always. The Love will provide whatever is needed and more if we let it. There's always the plus factor. Best to be as the 'empty canvas' allowing the Source of Love and Light, the True Source of our being to flow and outpicture Itself just the way It wants to. Then in every moment we are free, fully accepting the Gift of Love allowing it to love us and love others completely. This is Grace. This is Love.
So are you saying that you think that I should stop trying to find someone to be my outlet and just let go of the need for an outlet? Let the Love figure it out?
I am not saying do not share the Love with particular individuals. It is beautiful to share with others in person like your volunteering. As your heart leads you in this direction, please continue to follow it. When you are following the heart, it is not an ego-driven need. Remember too, the Love is not limited and can flow freely even when you do not have an outlet in the form of a particular person or group of persons directly in front of you. Both of these flows the universal flow to all life and the particular flow to individuals in your immediate proximity can and do occur simultaneously. Regardless, of the situation, universal-individual, the Love works best when we just let go and be as a sweet Heart, an open instrument for the Love without attempting to direct or control its flow in anyway.
quote:
quote:

When we use the mind to observe the pleasant feelings arising within the heart, this can diminish the heart's enjoying and begin to pull us out of the heart separating us from the Love. The Love is not a mental strategy or an object or emotion to be watched. It is a deeper aspect of who we are. We limit its flow when we watch it.

When I talked about watching the Love arise, I meant from a state of non-judgement. Not watching with the mind, but watching as the witness.
When witnessing occurs naturally we are not doing anything. We are in the Now, in the moment, fully present, able to completely ‘feel’ what-is. As this occurs if we naturally follow our feeling it will bring us more fully into the heart. When we watch with the mind we are at least partly in the head which pulls us out of the heart making it harder to use our feeling properly. It’s a learning process as we move back and forth in and out of the heart.

Witnessing is a natural process that develops over time as the inner silence deepens and our nervous systems become more refined allowing the silence to become more permanent and enduring under different situations and stimuli. The reason I mentioned the watching is an observation I have made both with myself and with a number of people I have helped guide into the heart coming from a TM/TM-Siddhi background. They use a similar method of meditation as we do in AYP (diff mantra). I have noticed that about 80% of them initially have a difficult time dropping down into their heart especially the ones that have been meditating for some time. In the beginning many were looking at things from the mind/head rather than really engaging their feeling. Once they made the transition and truly feel what it is like to be in the heart using their feeling properly, they got it and did great but initially many of them had a harder time. My comment was meant more as a guideline. As witnessing is something that develops and matures over time and can vary under the intensity of different circumstances, there will be times when we are sometimes more, sometimes less in the head watching vs truly in the heart feeling.
quote:
quote:

The ability to enjoy its sweetness, to follow the beautiful feelings arising within the heart to deeper and deeper levels which allows the Love to radiate more freely and completely is dampened and reduced when we shift to watching the loving feelings.
You mean watching with the mind right?
Yes.
quote:
quote:

In the early stages of opening the heart, just letting go, feeling and enjoying the beautiful feelings arising within the heart leads to letting the love flow more freely.
Yes this is my experience as well...at least when I have someone around to give the Love to. If I don't, the letting go seems to work itself out via chest pain and tears.
The better we get at truly being in the heart, using our feeling properly and letting the Love work the less pain is involved. Whether we are with other individuals or not, all kind of blockages can be dissolved by the Love when we allow its flow and help without resistance. It is a learning process. Again, I am just giving indications and markers of how the process can work.
quote:
quote:

I am not attempting to negate the importance or value of relational self-inquiry or the inner silence of the witness. The deepening inner silence cultivated in AYP DM gives us the freedom to more fully let go and feel the beautiful feelings arising from the heart to surrender completely to the flow of love. However, when we lack a foundation of deep inner silence and our watching is a mind looking at the loving feeling rather than a heart directly engaging and feeling the loving feeling, this creates an artificial separation between us and the Love. This is a common tendency many of us have when the heart begins to open.
I don't think I am watching the Love arise from a place in the mind, but maybe I am? Who knows? I certainly don't feel "attached" to the feelings, and I don't feel special or elite because of them, and I really don't feel the need to control or manipulate the feelings in anyway either other then to try to release them in any way possible. This usually being in communication, silent or otherwise with another human being. (or animal too I guess. My dogs recieve a lot of love these days)
quote:
quote:

From another perspective, it describes a condition where part of us is in the head and part is in the heart. When we watch the loving feelings from the mind, we are not surrendering allowing the love to flow. It has the effect of pulling us out of the heart something like watching a movie of yourself making love with your beloved vs making love with your beloved. Not the same.

So how do I know if I am watching the feelings from the mind or from a place of inner silence? I thought I knew, but now I am second guessing myself.
It is not so much a matter of feeling attached or unattached to the feelings. It is more just being totally within the heart (not watching anything), using our heart and feeling properly, enjoying the beautiful feelings and sweetness from the heart along with the flow of love, natural joy and gratitude that springs forth as this occurs. I was just pointing out a common situation for many of us as our heart opens. Sometimes, part of us switches to watching. If it truly is the witness, that’s one thing, if its in part with the mind, one sign is that the depth, sweetness and flow of the beautiful feelings will diminish. Also, if pain and pressure are building up and not being easily released thats an indication that we are holding or blocking the love in some way. 'Holding' and 'blocking' are some of the other common patterns that come up for us as the heart opens. These patterns will also diminish as we learn to let go of our ways and habits and better trust True Source, True Source's way and the Love.
quote:
quote:

Honestly Steve, I'm sure I have experienced this. Believe me I used to be much more "mindy" then I am today. I do feel as though I have stopped viewing things from the minds perspective and started viewing things with my heart, and my demeanor and attitude changes have reflected this to most who have known me for any length of time. See this thread here for examples: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=4886.
I agree wholeheartedly Carson. Its been a joy following your progress in the different posts.

Love and Light,
Steve

Edited by - Steve on Feb 02 2009 5:30:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  5:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some very sound advice, thank you Steve....and no worries on being busy...I had forgotten you had said you would reply so....it was a nice surprise to hear from you again...

My only question to you now is this....Is it possible to be TOO much in the heart? Or be too much in the heart to early? Have you read Katrines thread "The Longing"? I am pretty sure that when I get these fits of chest pain and tears it is because the "longing" is too strong and I have no idea how to release it, deal with it, watch it.....anything. I have to basically just endure it for a couple of hours until it subsides. I think the longing I feel is for someone, or something to share this excruciating Love with. Is this normal? Perhaps the heart is opening too early and I am not ready for this? Is that possible? Thanks for the clarifications and no worries on how long it takes you to get back to me!

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Feb 02 2009 5:21:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  6:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,
quote:
My only question to you now is this....Is it possible to be TOO much in the heart? Or be too much in the heart to early? Have you read Katrines thread "The Longing"? I am pretty sure that when I get these fits of chest pain and tears it is because the "longing" is too strong and I have no idea how to release it, deal with it, watch it.....anything. I have to basically just endure it for a couple of hours until it subsides. I think the longing I feel is for someone, or something to share this excruciating Love with. Is this normal? Perhaps the heart is opening too early and I am not ready for this? Is that possible? Thanks for the clarifications and no worries on how long it takes you to get back to me!

I have read Katrine's thread 'The Longing'. It is one of my favorite collection of postings and inspiration here on the forum. Regarding your questions, they certainly are good and to the point. I do not have answers. As time allows, what I can do is share some of my own experience and understanding in that area (your questions and the Longing).

Love and Light,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  12:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Steve and thank you for your honesty. I look forward to reading of your journey.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000