New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  4:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends,

I have come to the crossroads...it is time to snip. I looked at my frenulum for the first time yesterday knowing that later that night I would be purchasing my very own set of cuticle snippers and saw that I pretty much have zero frenulum. Compared to my wife I have none. Hers is about half an inch in depth from the back of the underside of her tongue to the front edge of the frenulum. Mine is at most about an eighth of an inch. At most. I'm not sure if it is all the stretching I have done or what but there is little to nothing left to snip. Yet I cannot reach Kechari stage 2 easily or for any length of time, OR without the use of a finger or two. SO....I am going to snip what is left of this tiny littel frenulum of mine. But before I do it, I was hoping to get a bit of advice on how best to go about cutting such a small frenulum.....I have to hold my tongue just right to even have anything there at all to snip, and the way I have to hold it makes it awkward to get in there with the clippers. I know I am just supposed to snip the front "white" edge of the frenulum, but what is the best way to get the stability necessary to make such a precision cut by hand? Any advice?

Love,
Carson

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  4:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson

I know nothing of this....but:

can you put one finger on each side of the frenum to stabilize and also help the strecth - and at the same time have room enough to cut with the other hand?

Also - see to it that the tounge is dry....so that you don't slip easily?

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  4:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS.

I use a razor blade....

But my frenum is bigger than yours
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  5:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine....

I think a razor blade is way scary for this. Haha. You must have really steady hands! I'd probably cut my tongue off! My frenulum is only thick enough to cut when I am in full Kechari 1. And putting my fingers in my mouth while doing this will make it very crowded! I will definitely make sure my mouth is good and dry before doing this, (maybe I'll smoke a huge gagger first, just kidding) and will be as cautious as possible but I am a little nervous. It's funny too...my sister had to have her frenulum surgically snipped because her tongue was "tied". And I seem to be the complete opposite. Almost completely untethered naturally. How odd.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  5:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson

Ok....frenulum..

Hmmmmm....and here I am thinking you had a big mouth .....

No...seriously...a razor blade is scary. Don't do it. Actually - I use one of these "one time use scalpels"...or whatever you call it over in Canada The blade is fastened on a shaft...so that the hand doesn't have to enter the mouth. And - yes, my hands are steady.

Carson.....cut out the gagger........normal air/akash does it. You know....just hang your tounge out to dry.....

Why, I think it's great that you are almost without a frenulum !

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  6:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are funny Katrine. I miss you when you take forum breaks. You make me laugh. Yes it is frenulum, not frenum like some people call it. But seriously, I DO have a big mouth.

I know the "scalpel" thing you are talking about I think, and I even have few of these "pen knives" left over from when I used to make signage for the band, but all the blades I have are covered in resin of one kind or another now, so.....I'll use my new cuticle cutters I guess. Plus my hands aren't always the steadiest anymore.

I was joking about smoking a joint just to dry out my tongue. A little "pot head" humor. Sorry, probably in bad taste here at the forum.

And thank you, I thought it was kinda cool that I had no frenulum already, but I still can't do Kechari 2 well. I think my biggest problem is the size of my tongue. It's like a dinner plate. Maybe I'll use the pen knives to start shaving down the sides. Just kidding.

K. Here I go.....snip and then practices......ooooooooooohhhh.........

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  6:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I was joking about smoking a joint just to dry out my tongue. A little "pot head" humor. Sorry, probably in bad taste here at the forum.

No, no - we're fine with you :-) My "cut out the gagger" was my "air head" humor You'll just have to put up with it

quote:
I think my biggest problem is the size of my tongue. It's like a dinner plate

*laughing*......you mean you can eat off it

*********laughing***********

Enjoy your practise
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  7:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well....

That wasn't as bad as I had been imagining. I ended up taking two small snips each about 3/16" either side of centre. When stretched each cut opens to be about a 1/16" wide giving me about an 1/8" extra lenth. And I noticed a big difference already in how easy it was to touch the upper front of the throat, still using fingers though. I also found a connection to my erection! I found a spot that every time I touch it with my tongue I get an immense erection. It was too much and I had to stop doing Kechari because it was too distracting. I'm sure I will have plenty of fun with it in different circumstances though, haha. Hopefully the sexual feelings it creates will refine soon so I can use stage 2 Kechari during spinal breathing and meditation and such. For now it will have to be a sideline gig....

And no I didn't mean you can eat off of my tongue, merely that it is the size and shape of a dinner plate. Ikes.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Dec 20 2008 12:38:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  11:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson:

In AYP it is not recommended to snip significantly off the center line of the frenum. You are not in any trouble with what you did, but for anyone who does aggressive deep snipping on either side, there is a risk of hitting the fairly large blood vessels that are located on either side under the tongue.

There are no significant blood vessels in the center, and that is where the edge of the multi-strand frenum tendon is, so that is the safest and most effective place to be with snipping.

Sounds like you are doing great with kechari. Bravo!

Just wanted to give a caution for anyone who might be considering doing deep snipping on either side of the center.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  12:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

You know I meant up and down from centre frenulum and not left and right of centre frenulum right? And the reason I did this was not on purpose. I made one snip first and it ended up being a little above centre and not quite as deep as I had desired. So I decided to make a second cut, but didn't want to make it directly in the centre because that would have been too close to the first cut, so I made it the same distance from centre as the first cut, just the opposite side and the right depth. It worked out pretty good. I can appreciate the need to tell other forumites that the way I did it is not the most effective nor the safest way, but it was a little bit of a bumble on my part and not on purpose. Perhaps I should have stated that in my original post. Sorry, I didn't think of it. Thanks for pointing this out though

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Dec 20 2008 07:11:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  08:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Namaste Friends,

I have come to the crossroads...it is time to snip. I looked at my frenulum for the first time yesterday knowing that later that night I would be purchasing my very own set of cuticle snippers and saw that I pretty much have zero frenulum. Compared to my wife I have none. Hers is about half an inch in depth from the back of the underside of her tongue to the front edge of the frenulum. Mine is at most about an eighth of an inch. At most. I'm not sure if it is all the stretching I have done or what but there is little to nothing left to snip. Yet I cannot reach Kechari stage 2 easily or for any length of time, OR without the use of a finger or two. SO....I am going to snip what is left of this tiny littel frenulum of mine. But before I do it, I was hoping to get a bit of advice on how best to go about cutting such a small frenulum.....I have to hold my tongue just right to even have anything there at all to snip, and the way I have to hold it makes it awkward to get in there with the clippers. I know I am just supposed to snip the front "white" edge of the frenulum, but what is the best way to get the stability necessary to make such a precision cut by hand? Any advice?

Love,
Carson

Last week I was pushing my tongue back and the frenum thing tore my saliva gland open. I ripped the little hole where the saliva comes out. Swoll up like a mother. I swished with hydrogen peroxide and now it's better. It stretches better now though. I'm going to slice it with a razor. I think I see the right spot where it stretches and looks really thin. Do we just snip one spot?

Thanks

TMS
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  10:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi Yogani,

You know I meant up and down from centre frenulum and not left and right of centre frenulum right? And the reason I did this was not on purpose. I made one snip first and it ended up being a little above centre and not quite as deep as I had desired. So I decided to make a second cut, but didn't want to make it directly in the centre because that would have been too close to the first cut, so I made it the same distance from centre as the first cut, just the opposite side and the right depth. It worked out pretty good. I can appreciate the need to tell other forumites that the way I did it is not the most effective nor the safest way, but it was a little bit of a bumble on my part and not on purpose. Perhaps I should have stated that in my original post. Sorry, I didn't think of it. Thanks for pointing this out though

Love,
Carson

Hi Carson:

Oh, you meant up and down from center, not left and right. There is no undue risk in that. It is fine.

For those considering kechari mudra, it is suggested to review lesson 108, here: http://www.aypsite.org/108.html
...and follow-up lessons linked in the website topic index.

Lesson 108 is also linked in the left side border of this page, along with other key lessons on the AYP practices.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  1:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

[Oh, you meant up and down from center, not left and right. There is no undue risk in that. It is fine.

Yeah I'm not stupid enough to snip other strands under the tongue and leave the frenulum alone. Glad I'm not in any undue danger. Today I woke up with the snips looking pretty much already healed. There's still a bit of an indent where I made the deeper cut, but the first cut is healed completely and the second one will probably be healed within about 2 days. My next question is how much pressure and how consistantly should I be stretching the frenulum at this point? Should I be being really gentle with it, or can I be a bit aggresive and continue to stretch as much as possible? Am I at a great risk of "tearing" something if I stretch too hard at this point?

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Dec 20 2008 1:31:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  4:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson

For what it's worth from this inexperienced snipper:

I give it several good, thorrough stretches the same day of the snip....the day after snipping, there might be some microscopic blood when stretching, but day 2 I can stretch all I want (and I do) and nothing "bad" happens. I tend to forget the stretching from day 4 and onwards....until it is time to snip again. I snip once a week.

Snipp snapp snute
Så var eventyret ute

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  4:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TMS

quote:
Do we just snip one spot?

Yes - we just snip at the same spot every time.

Good luck with it
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  4:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,

Yeah that seems to be pretty reasonable. Yesterday right after the cut I had the intense need to stretch it lots, but when I woke up this morning it felt real tight and felt like if I stretched it too hard it would tear. I lost a little of the extra length I had gained too. Today I have been lightly but firmly stretching it to try and gain that extra length back and then hopefully by tomorrow I can go hard on the stretching again until next Friday.(snip day) I can already tell that I am going to really like this "ritual" of snipping. It feels really good to have that little extra tension feeling for the few days directly after cutting. Thanks for the info Katrine. (wish I spoke another language so I could say some snappy comment in it, but alas, I am monolinguistic, and probably quite under-educated)
Ha Ha.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  5:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry...it just came out of my mouth

It is what I used to end all the fairytales with when I read to my children when they were small.

Snipp snapp snute (snippy snappy snout)
Så er eventyret ute (now the fairytale is out)

It was just the sound of "snip"....that set it off

quote:
wish I spoke another language so I could say some snappy comment in it, but alas, I am monolinguistic, and probably quite under-educated)

Be glad, Carson. I am very well educated....and it has taken me years to unlearn all that stuff
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  2:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again friends,

I am curious to know if anyone else has had this experience that I am having in regards to frenulum snipping....

What I have noticed over the past month or so, is that every time I snip and the frenulum heals, it gets a little thicker (wider I mean) and is a little bit more difficult to cut a small snip every time. I snipped on Wednesday evening again and I was completely unable to take a small snip. The frenulum was just too wide now. So the snip I took I am pretty sure will take at least a month to heal. Also, when I snipped it cut all the way through, but the cuticle cutters held on to a small piece and ended up ripping a small slit all the way down to the inside of my bottom front teeth! This part has already healed so I don't think it was a major issue, but the problem with the frenulum getting thicker after every snip is. Anyone else had a similar experience and have any suggestions?

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jan 09 2009 2:30:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  5:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes I know what you are talking about.

What you do is, stretch it by pulling on it, and then pushing it back with your finger.

This sends the uncut tendon fronds into the frenum again, giving it a sharp edge again.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  04:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

quote:
You are funny Katrine. I miss you when you take forum breaks. You make me laugh. Yes it is frenulum, not frenum like some people call it. But seriously, I DO have a big mouth.

Just thought I'd check this out. It seems like it is both frenulum and frenum.

From Wiki:

A frenulum (or frenum, plural: frenula or frena, from the Latin frçnulum, "little bridle", the diminutive of frçnum ) is a small fold of tissue that secures or restricts the motion of a mobile organ in the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenulum

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  04:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine

quote:
Hi TMS

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do we just snip one spot?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes - we just snip at the same spot every time.

Good luck with it

I think I read in the lessons that you should snip the point which presents itself as the weakest. Not necessarily the same point as last time. This is what I have been doing and it seems to work.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  04:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the frenum/lum clarification, Christi

quote:
I think I read in the lessons that you should snip the point which presents itself as the weakest. Not necessarily the same point as last time. This is what I have been doing and it seems to work.

Oh....good to know. I cut at the same place every time....it is still the place where the "tightness" of the string is the strongest.....but where the thinness of it is the greatest. Is this wrong?

Haven't snipped for 2 weeks now.....so thanks for reviving this thread......I'll do it on Sunday

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  05:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,

quote:
Oh....good to know. I cut at the same place every time....it is still the place where the "tightness" of the string is the strongest.....but where the thinness of it is the greatest. Is this wrong?

No, that's not wrong. If the place that presents itself as the most suitable for snipping is the same every time then that's fine. But if it is different, that's fine too.

Just read this in Yoga Darshan. It is written by Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati from the Bihar school of Yoga:

"Once the tongue is cut, control over the faculties of speech and swallowing is impared and cannot be reversed. Therefore the Hatha yoga technique was only done by those yogis who were totally dedicated to spiritual awakening and no longer involved with worldly life." p430

So I hope you are feeling totally dedicated. It is good to know that we will still be able to communicate using the internet at least.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Feb 18 2009 05:46:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  05:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
*ler og ler*

oh...I mean...*laughing and laughing*.......
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  05:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi and Katrine,
As far as I have read at the forums, you do snip at the same spot every time. After a while a callous forms at the spot you have been snipping and this makes it easier to snip without much pain and bleeding.
However, Christi is right, in the lessons Yogani does say:
http://www.aypsite.org/223.html
quote:
Once a snip is taken, then there is healing for a few days. At the same time, kechari practice stretches it out. Then the unsnipped tendons underneath are stretched to the surface, presenting a clear target for the next snip. The more days that pass, the more prominent the edge of the new tendon string becomes. Taking this snipping, healing, and stretching new strings to the surface approach results in steady progress over time, and with little to no pain or bleeding, because the stretched tendon strings come up to the surface with an edge like a callous that can be snipped easily. It is as though the frenum was designed to be trimmed in this way
So I guess people need to go with what feels right to them.

Edited by - Shanti on Feb 18 2009 08:18:50 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000