AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Has AYP Affected Your Resting Pulse?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2005 :  11:25:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What was your resting pulse before you took up AYP? What's your resting pulse now? And how long have you been practicing AYP?

I mean just regular resting pulse...like right now, when you're on the internet...not right when you finish practices.

I ask because I've had a drastic effect: pulse has dropped from 78 to 60 in half a year. Though there's another factor; my practice seems to have cured my asthma, and asthma (even if you're not having an attack) raises your resting pulse.

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  1:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim:

For what it might be worth, my resting heart rate lurks somewhere between 50 and 60 these days. That is significantly lower than in years and decades past. Blood pressure, which has tended to be high in the past, is medium to low now also. I attribute these health benefits to long-time yoga practices, a low fat low salt diet, and the yoga-friendly toning and aerobic exercise program described in the AYP book.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  3:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Milissa:

Are you saying that the conventional wisdom about high salt/sodium consumption being a factor in high blood pressure is not the salt/sodium, but the impurities in processed salt? If so, can you point to any studies on this? I'm not a doctor, but I believe there have been a lot of studies pointing to a relationship between high salt/sodium intake and high blood pressure.

The relationship of high fat intake and high blood pressure is another well-researched aspect. Particularly the "DASH" diet research done in Boston some years back, which demonstrated in a large group study that a low fat diet with fresh foods leads to reduced blood pressure. I believe the DASH diet also includes reduced salt/sodium intake. See http://www.bu.edu/bridge/archive/20...-08/dash.htm

Cardiovascular "aerobic" conditioning is yet another important factor in reducing blood pressure, not to mention its other health benefits.

On the yoga side, I think it is much more simple. Yoga reduces metabolism (reflected in reduced breath and heart rate), as well as tension in the nervous system, which one might logically expect to relax the veins and arteries (and BP) on the inner-most level. As we know, the effects of meditation and other yoga practices eventually become a 24 hour experience in the nervous system, and this is how we feel the benefits rising in everyday life. That is a layman's point of view on the medical aspects, of course. There have been a lot of stress reduction studies on meditation and other yoga practices that would seem to bear this out. Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and most yoga practitioners are not complaining.

We have much bigger fish to fry anyway, yes?

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  5:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Melissa

The electron spin is in the opposite direction of the more dangerous processed counterparts, so it is a moot arguement. I purposely consume several grams (between 10-20) of this type of salt per day. My BP 10 years ago was in the 130-140 systolic range.

I'm a bit concerned about this comment about the electron spin. I thought electron spin actually is pretty moot as a chemical property. As far as I know, Aluminium is aluminum and Cadmium cadmium regardless of electron spin. Just as good or bad regardless of it. So Cadmium should still poison you regardless of the spin on any of its electrons. As soon as any of them get into solution, they should be free to exchange electrons billions of times per second with the solvent and the spin they came in with would be almost instantly moot. I'm not a chemist at all, but this is my memory of how it should work.

The other thing is that, quantum-mechanically spin is decided at random (when it is measured). I don't think you can set up any chemical process that will produce Cadmium or Aluminium ions en masse with a particular spin -- when you create the ions (in their billions), half of them will have spin one way and half of them will have spin the other way, end of story. (As far as I know you can't change this 50-50 split by any chemical process whatsoever.) So I am wondering how on earth natural salt is producing these chemicals all with spin in a certain direction (??) that is different to the spin of refined salt which should also be split 50-50??

I'd love to see references on that one.....

Edited by - david_obsidian on Sep 30 2005 5:39:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  09:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Mellisa,
I would be interested in reading the study as well.
Thanks,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  6:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Melissa

Hello David -

Forgive my bluntness please, but I detest entering debate with you David, so I shot the researcher an email asking if he has a study. I know that they independently assayed the salts and listed all the trace minerals (or lack thereof). I will let you know if I receive a response soon.

Melissa

Hello Melissa,

your bluntness is forgiven. I would detest debating with me too, if I were you.

You don't have to read the rest of this, or respond at all. It's for whoever reads it and might feel something positive from my tendency to question the consumption of poisonous heavy metals.

Perhaps I am thrown off with 'electron spin'. I am aware of chirality in molecules as a whole, (chirality = differentness to mirror-image) and it certainly does matter in organic chemistry, big-time. But not spin in electrons as far as I know, and I could well be proven wrong. (Do we have some chemist here, some destroying angel to put me in my place for bringing a hard-nosed question to the holy? I would welcome it as I love to be informed, even at the price of being shown up to having been mistaken. )

And then would be interesting to see if any of those salts are complex enough to be chiral (doubts here), and of course, well, I always thought the metal ion broke away from the salt in solution anyway, and if a Cadmium ion broke away from such a molecule, if it could, it would definitely be a 'baddie' as far as I can see, even if it came from a good and holy place. Picture a mafia don coming out of the cathederal. :)
But then again, maybe not even necessarily so. Perhaps the negative part of the ion is in some very complex interaction that stops the nasty metal ion being nasty. Again, a lot of doubts here, but I can't rule it out.

Some time ago on the forum, there were people talking about ingesting mercury, saying that it was OK if it was first reacted with sulphur. I had very grave doubts about the wisdom of that, but I never researched it. Very grave doubts again, though I can't rule it out.

-D

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  6:51:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Some get just the opposite effect of lowered BP and a dramatic weight drop. Go figure. I believe the rationale is better hydration at a cellular level <---- don't take that as gospel though!

Oh, I just wanted to throw something into the mix. It is well documented that some people have a paradoxical reaction to sodium levels in their food. This is true for ordinary, mean, rude, unholy, refined sodium. For some, a lower-sodium diet actually increases blood pressure, for reasons unknown. And therefore, (logically relative to their low-sodium diet at least), an increase in sodium actually lowers blood pressure. If I remember, the percentage of people for whom this is true is not so tiny.

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on Oct 02 2005 6:54:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  11:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Any idea what would be the resting pulse of an enlightened person? Will it fall down to zero? Is samadhi the same thing? just curious.

This World is a great gymnasium where we have come to make ourselves strong - Vivekananda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000