Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Advice for non-SB Pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johndemol

Netherlands
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  3:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit johndemol's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on non spinal breathing pranayama.
I hope it's OK for me to request it here.

I want to (re)start doing some pranayama daily.
I want to do Anulom Vilom and Kapal Bhati. I prefer these two over SB.

I need some advice on how to start with these. In the past, I have done pranayama, but jumped in to fast. Now, I want it to be smoother and not such a rollercoaster ride.

What kind of progressive routine can you recommend?

Thank you.
John

Edited by - johndemol on Oct 29 2008 3:55:39 PM

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  05:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,

Yogani recommends starting meditation practice first, so if you have not done so yet then do. See here:

http://www.aypsite.org/10.html

Pranayama can be added in after you have developed a stable meditation routine. Alternate nostril breathing (without breath retention) and Kapal Bhati are not powerful practices, which is why they are often taught in beginner yoga classes in the West. I would add alternate nostril breathing first. Yogani discusses it in this post:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4139#35423

Then you could add Kapal Bhati when you are stable with Anulom Vilom. Yogani discusses Kapal Bhati in the "Diet shatkarmas and amoroli" book.

There is a discussion by Yogani on how to plan your practice routine and move forward safely here:

http://www.aypsite.org/38.html

You may find after a while that you want to add spinal breathing as it is a form of pranayama which goes further than most as far as purifying the nervous system goes.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

johndemol

Netherlands
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  12:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit johndemol's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Thank you so much for your answer!!
I appreciate it very much.

I'm already meditating once a day. Guess I should extend that to twice a day.

In an earlier Pranayama attempt I started too quickly with SB, it wasn't so nice. That's why I, initially at least, prefer the other two exercises.

Thanks again, Christi!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000