Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Cannot sleep after being brahmchari
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeekingShiva

USA
46 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  12:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit SeekingShiva's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

I am reaching my goal of celibacy for the purpose of bliss slowly but steadily.

But now my problem is now I am not able to sleep. In the night I will be up around 3ish and would want to sit for meditation and my body will ache and I will feel heavy but I will not get the sleep.

Being a programmer all day, my feel tired. Not sure what I do.

One thing is for sure I am feel numb day by day. Is it expected?

Or I am on wrong path.

Thanks and may bliss follow everybody!

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  1:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SS,

I think this is a common experience for those experimenting with bramacharya. I've been celibate a month and a half (didn't plan on it but just don't feel the urge, so I'm taking advantage of that) and I am seeing cycles of purification in which for about a week or so I'll be buzzing with energy and won't be able to sleep. However, when I wake up after a few hours of sleep (4-5) I'll be groggy for a few minutes but then will buzzing again.

About a week or so after this, I'll start getting "worn out" and am able to sleep a little bit more and definitely have less energy during the day. This was the same effect that I would get after ejaculating. However, the key difference is that after ejaculating, the "low" phase would be a couple of weeks.

What I have done, and would recommed you try would be to decrease practice times for meditation, etc.... I'm personally down to 4 mins of sbp, and 7 mins of dm and samayama (The reason these are low is that I was already self pacing before the effects of celibacy). Decreasing the practice time has started to even out the energy fluctuations for me. So its taking longer to reach the "buzzing phase" which is also not as strong and there is less time being spent in recovery, during which I don't feel as burnt out as before.

So Basically employ self pacing!!!! It is tempting to continue with the same practice times because the highs feel so great and it is easy to justify with the logic being that we are taking 3 steps forward and 2 back. However, personally, I have to be able to pay attention and absorb lots of information during the day and thus I am content with taking it one long step at a time.

take care,
Eitherway

p.s- I've also seen that a short nap (20-30 mins) during the tired/down phase will be much more rejuvanating than in normal times. It just feels strange because you might not actually sleep but just closing your eyes will work.
Go to Top of Page

SeekingShiva

USA
46 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  1:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit SeekingShiva's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info.

It really helps your morale up as it quantifies you that you are on right path and is expected.

Go to Top of Page

nandhi

USA
362 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  4:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit nandhi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
aum

divine shiva,

when celibacy is practiced, its important to constantly move the muladhara energies above the navel. once the consciousness has climbed above the navel, you experience large energies and superhuman abilities. less thought of even being celibate arises. constant sadhana during this period makes celibacy effectively work along with the inner fire.

tilt to your left side and if possible, read a spiritual book using your left palm as a pillow for your head. merge your consciousness into the divine as you plunge into letting go to sleep. the state of sleeplessness and the state of turiya are immediate neighbors.

may your path unfold all its sacred treasures as knowing,

nandhi
Go to Top of Page

Michael Beloved

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  3:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Beloved's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

But now my problem is now I am not able to sleep. In the night I will be up around 3ish and would want to sit for meditation and my body will ache and I will feel heavy but I will not get the sleep.

Try diverting the mind from the idea of sleep into the idea of rest. The mind itself, the thinking part of the psyche, cannot and does not cause sleep. But it might interfere with the sleeping mechanism through thinking on and on. Try instead to diver the mind to resting as its main objective. While the thinking mind focus on resting, it will relax away from the sleeping mechanism in the psyche and sleep will manifest.
If you find that the mind is constantly chewing on events from during your day’s activities, just divert the mind to resting. You can assure the mind also that whatever activities it wants to hash over, will be there tomorrow.

One important thing to consider is that sleeping comes on by the power of the influence of the kundalini shakti. But this same kundalini shakti is concerned with the sexual energies. Thus if you practice celibacy and do not do something to efficiently distribute the sexual energy conserved, it will cause botherations since it is accumulated, like water which is diked on a river. If you dike a river, the water will build up force and either break the dike or spill over somewhere.
So for celibacy, it is advisable that one should do yoga exercises and pranayama which is especially geared to spread out and distribute the conserved sexual energy.
Of course the conventional way of dispersing build up sexual energy is to expel it from the male body either by intercourse, wet dreams or masturbation. Thus the same kundalini energy when it is manifested as sexual force is usually dissipated through these activities., Now if you try to conserve that energy for celibacy, brahmacharya life, then you would have to find a way to dissipate the energies, since nature is no longer functioning to dissipate it in the conventional way.
So it is a good idea to find a teacher of kundalini yoga, who is expert at the practice of dynamic rather than static celibacy. Static celibacy means that you conserve the energy and leave the concern of its distribution to nature. Dynamic celibacy means that you conserve the energy and you use yoga postures and pranayama to distribute the energy up the spine and into the brain.
Go to Top of Page

nandhi

USA
362 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:37:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit nandhi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
aum

agree with the wisdom etherway and michael offer. it helps.

the core to this practice is intense bhakthi.

all else is guided through this inner fire.

aum
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000