New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  2:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderators have said that it is ok to post the links alone. So here they are:

Here is a link to Mark Merritt's thesis paper on the unsustainability and origins of socioeconomic increase.
http://potluck.com/2001/01/the-unsu...ic-increase/

Here's one written by Dr. Russell Hopfenberg and David Pimentelon on Human population numbers as a function of food production.
http://www.ku.edu/~hazards/foodpop.pdf

Here's a link to a true story illustrating what it means to exceed carrying capacity
http://www.ishmael.org/Education/Sc...pacity.shtml

Here is a link to an essay originally posted on www.npg.org (negative population growth) on "The Tightening Conflict: Population, Energy Use, and the Ecology of Agriculture" by Mario Giampietro and David Pimentel
http://www.ishmael.org/Education/Sc...nflict.shtml

Here is a list of books DQ himself recommends reading as they were all books that were referenced in his own books. Most are science based and non-fiction.
http://www.ishmael.org/Education/Readings/

Here is an essay specifically on the use of slaves in Egypt while building the pyramids. (There weren't any slaves!)
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/n...11101.5.html

Here's an essay on the value of biodiversity within an ecosystem
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...30074549.htm

And here are some essays detailing some of the destruction we are wreaking on the planet, indicating the "at the rate we are going" statements I made earlier.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...19080453.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...25073740.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...01075138.htm
and
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...18094949.htm

Hope this helps,
In love,
CarsonZi

Edited by - CarsonZi on Sep 11 2008 2:55:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  05:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am currently reading Daniel Quinn’s Ishmael and thoroughly enjoying it - perhaps not in the same way as in Carsonzi’s passionate defense of it here - and being pretty sure it would have turned up somewhere on this site, I searched it and came across this interesting forum topic - both for the discussion on Quinn’s work but more so for the discussion of the sutra “Abundance”. I am guilty of interpreting the sutra “abundance” not just as an abundance of bliss and expansion of inner silence but equally as including material abundance. This too has sat uncomfortably with me for years - to the extent that I would often skip it. I am delighted to read others views of it.
If you have not read Ishmael - I strongly recommend it.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  05:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

this is my take on it, I could be wrong
In al the words used in samyama you are looking to expand in these words/meanings from the inside out. By saying abundance you are not just asking to recive abundance, you are expanding in abundance, if you expand in abundance then your expansion will lead you to realize your abundance. By realizing your abundance you may realize that you have a lot and in turn can give a lot. In time you may be so appreciative of your abunadance that you will want to share it so much, because you recognize that you yourself are abundant. that you may have less matirial things and be cool with that.

What if you dont have abundance? if you dont hav an abundance of love how can you give love? If you dont have an abundance of radiance, how can you shine through the darkest of days? if you are not abundantly unified with others, how can express your unity to others. If you are not abundant in health how can you share health. if you are not abundant in stregth then how can you be strong enough to help others when they are weak. If you are not abundant If your wisdom is not abundant how can you share wisdom? if your not abundant in inner sensuality how can you share that with others. If you are not abundant in lightness of air, how can you show others how to flow freely? Thanks for posing your question I was in the moment when answering.
take care
neil

I find this response the best one.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  4:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sey, Thank you for resurrecting this interesting discussion from 2008. Interestingly I've been drawn to the adundance sutra right from the start and it has been the one I repeat for 5 minutes. Releasing it into silence fills me with a glowing energy inside. I have come to believe abundance is about filling one's own tank so as to have enough love to share with others (kind of like putting on your oxygen mask before putting one on your child). I also resonated most with brother neil's post that you shared above.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  7:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My take on Abundance has evolved in six years of Samyama. When I first began the practice, our family finances were uneasy, mostly credit card debt. I remember when passing it then it definitely was a like a prayer for our circumstances to improve. Within a few years they certainly did, and then some. I cannot for sure connect it to Samyama specifically, but can attribute it to the mosaic of my yoga.

I am in Interpaul’s camp, the Abundance is now about sharing all your good stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 11 2021 :  07:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is such an interesting discussion. It has made me realize that I am interpreting the sutra less and less, it is mostly an expanding feeling/sensation/perception of "abundance"- and let it be as it may. It is just being with it, enlivening its qualities in this world.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 11 2021 :  09:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To go back to Quinn’s book. There is something there that has me thinking. I quote:
quote:
. “The people of your culture cling with fanatical tenacity to the specialness of man. They want desperately to perceive a vast gulf between man and the rest of creation. This mythology of human superiority justifies their doing whatever they please with the world, just the way Hitler’s mythology of Aryan superiority justified his doing whatever he pleased with Europe. But in the end this mythology is not deeply satisfying. The Takers are a profoundly lonely people. The world for them is enemy territory, and they live in it like an army of occupation, alienated and isolated by their extraordinary specialness.”

The fact of the matter is we do attribute human a special place in creation - we claim we are the only ones who are self-aware; conscious of being conscious. Animals and plants aren’t. Is that based on any real evidence? Or based on the size of our brain and coming from the model that consciousness is a bi-product of an evolved brain?
Before meditation, I rejected that humans are more special and apart from any other species. But as I became more Aware, I started thinking that maybe we are truly the needle that plays the song on the record of this Universe. We co-create this world. We talk of it being maya. True, we who meditate may wish to treat the world with more compassion that stated by Quinn above but nevertheless we do have this in-grain superiority of it being “our” world.

Now I am re-thinking my position.

Thoughts anyone?

Sey
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - May 11 2021 :  09:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere
The fact of the matter is we do attribute human a special place in creation - we claim we are the only ones who are self-aware; conscious of being conscious. Animals and plants aren’t. Is that based on any real evidence? Or based on the size of our brain and coming from the model that consciousness is a bi-product of an evolved brain?
Before meditation, I rejected that humans are more special and apart from any other species. But as I became more Aware, I started thinking that maybe we are truly the needle that plays the song on the record of this Universe. We co-create this world. We talk of it being maya. True, we who meditate may wish to treat the world with more compassion that stated by Quinn above but nevertheless we do have this in-grain superiority of it being “our” world.

Now I am re-thinking my position.

Thoughts anyone?

Sey

Hello Sey,

You always have thought provoking posts.

In my native language which has it's root in Sanskrit, Maya means Love and not illusion. So, we are Love, this world is Love and we are born of Love. With this being the underlying reality,then no one is special and everyone is special at the same time.

Being in the world and serving the world from this space/inner silence/ pure-bliss-consciousness/sat-chit-ananda is the fruit of spiritual practices.Of course, spiritual discussions are great as well! After all the creator created this world to know/experience itself.

Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on May 11 2021 09:39:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 19 2021 :  10:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata,

It is fascinating to learn that "maya" means love in Nepali. In Sanskrit, "maya" means unreal.

Of course, the world may be seen as unreal or an expression of Love, depending on the state of the consciousness of the viewer. Our perception of the world evolves as we progress on the path, from seeing a material world, to an illusory one to a transfigured reality to a world both real and void, both emerging from emptiness and never-created. With the power of our mind, we co-create the world, and thus we are responsible for it. Educating our mind through meditation and other spiritual practices becomes an ethical duty toward the world and toward ourselves - our higher Self.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000