Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 What to do before sleeping?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pascal

France
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  10:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pascal's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I took more time in general for sleeping, and rather than thinking, I prefer to recite a mantra (Om namah Shivaha!) in my head, while waiting for the sleep which come.
If there is too much concentration, I cannot sleep any more, it is thus necessary that practice is light, imperatively.

And you, what are you doing?
Do you have others practises to advise me before letting the sleep come?

If possible,I would like to be more conscious in my dreams but I have to be more conscious in my daily life for that.

Thank you!

Ps : Sorry my bad English !

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  1:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was a very bad sleeper but now I fall asleep within a few minuts. Its from Eckart Tolle and S.N. Goenka : when you go to bed, lay on your back, hands beside your body. Quit the mind as much as you can. Feel your body (feet , legs, back, belly etc) and notice the breating. Never go to sleep from mental thought(s).
Still you dont fall asleep : keep on noticing your breath, the body, and certainly dont start complaining about not being asleep. Accept that your are not asleep. When you start compaining, this will not solve the problem, and you will be in a very bad shape in the morning. When you accept and be with your body and breath, even with no sleep your body will be fit !
I let thought come and go, I dont suppress and I dont express them ( express : meaning that you totally get involved with the thoughts). When you are in bed at night, its easier to watch and let go your thoughts then when you are awake.
Finally : I never heard about the use of a mantra for falling asleep
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  7:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Pascal,

I read spiritual literature and listen to mediative music as I fall to sleep.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3509

namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Pascal

France
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  02:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pascal's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks thimus and brushjw !
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  06:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pascal,
Welcome to the forum.

I know you don't have insomnia, but this topic cure for insomnia? has some useful tips on falling asleep that may be of some use to you.

Wish you all the best.

Edited by - Shanti on Jun 02 2008 06:55:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pascal

France
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  09:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pascal's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  6:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I try not to meditate or anything of the sort right before sleep anymore. It calms my mind... but it also does that "I've got EnEEERGYYYYYYYY" thing haha.

I do know a lot about sleep and dreams though. On your way to sleep, your brain goes through a process of making these hallucinatory sounds visuals and feelings that basically hypnotize you off into the land of ZzZ's. They're called hypnagogics, and the more you get caught up with them (without thinking about them really, just... letting yourself get "entranced") the faster you go to sleep. You can just like... pay attention to the blobs behind your eyelids, and eventually they might turn into pictures, and then before you know it, it's next morning.

For consciousness during sleep, you can look up "WILD" (wake induced lucid dream) too, which involves bringing a certain type of awareness to hypnagogics, and going into sleep 100% (more like 78%) consciously. It's sorta like practicing the "observer" with hypnagogics, where you watch yourself get entranced by them but keep a certain balance of "observerness" that doesn't let you get "sucked in" to the trance of hypnagogics. And it's called "wake induced" since... you basically have to wake up after 5-6 hours of sleeping (I imagine you could bypass this eventually, though "REM sleep", that which you dream in most only happens every hour and a half or so and each REM period gets longer the further into sleep you are. the rest of your sleep is more of a "light dream" where I imagine you process different brain stuff and those non REM dreams are often in black and white and really hazy, though it'd be hella interesting to go through that consciously).

If you have any questions about dreaming and such, feel free, it was a popular area of study for me for a while.

here's one of my favorite websites on lucid dreams if you wanna check it out:
http://www.ld4all.org/
oh and, try reality checks, they're in the guide on that website. honestly, give em like a few days to a couple weeks, and you'll probably have your first lucid dream. They really do work.
Go to Top of Page

Pascal

France
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  09:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pascal's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to your post and Link Divineis
Go to Top of Page

IcedEarth

73 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2008 :  12:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit IcedEarth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the Samyama book, it says that cosmic samyama can be practiced at bedtime. I have been doing it a few months and it is a good thing to do at night and rest the mind. Sometimes I still have trouble sleeping, though. I then practice tension/relaxation methods right there in bed and I usually fall asleep shortly after that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000