Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 An experiment on siddhasana/sex drive
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  2:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For over 2 years I've been experimenting with siddhasana and found it to be a major factor in reducing my sexual urge. Since that wasn't my expectations at first, neither do I do and re-do siddhasana because of any intention related to sexual urge, I could say it's nearly (accidentally) a double-blinded study. OKOK, with only one person, so I'm bending the term too much. But then neither the receiving nor the prescribing end, which is the same person in this case, has any predetermined expectation on the result; not did I match up the level of sex urge with whether I do siddhasana until much later: the later point is exactly the spirit of the "blind" part of a double-blinded study, although I might be stretching too much here

Let me add that each of my period(s) of "siddhasana" or "no siddhasana" last for a few months, and more or less alternatingly, so it's not likely to be some up and down on sexual urge accidentally matching with what I did. With siddhasana I could refrain from orgasm for 1-2 months, while without it it's usually ranging from 3 to 20 days depending on how occupied I am.

I might post more later. At the moment, I would just like to add that other practices don't seem to be of much use for me on this aspect.

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  1:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Alvin,

Yes, doing this pose will make you infertile and also unable to get erections explaining your experience so it is only suited for Celibates but nor for Tantrics.

Siddhasana is great for "ascending" energy, make Kundalini go up, for yogi to levitate but not good for "descending" energy, being rooted and grounded which seems to be your problem right now !

Albert

Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  2:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Whether it is good or not I know not. For me there's only cause and effect, and a litte choice which changes with time (that's why I'm switching between poses)

Yes I'm well aware of the potential danger of getting erectile dysfunction, and in fact this is the main reason I sometimes avoid the pose altegether for months. I've never had any such problems from it, though I don't want to know it by experiencing it. So I'm essentially doing my own, mild versin of putting a small bundle of sock(s), with a pressure being no more than the weight of your hand putting on your lap (your hand, not the entire forearm!). Sometimes the pressure's even less, with a little more than a touch.

Even than I'm weary, so I've stopped for months until recently. Durng this time, I find myself impossible to keep Brahmacharya. Not a big deal, but my whole practices suffered since I sometimes skip meditation as well because I got discouraged by my dis-intergrated practice. This continued for months without any observable reason, until I've found that I actually stopped siddhasana. I tried add it back and in a few days, the sexual urge (not the ability!) subsided gradually.

By the way, I have yet to had enough mind-blowing experiences to genuinely believe human levitation, whether yogic or not. (though I was once interested in magic, so I still remember how tricks could be performed on stage to make one fly!)

This is something many rational yogis don't believe, anyway. And I take my realm of skepticism further: I doubt the entire culture of using terms and expressions like "kundalini doing up". This is a bit off-track though, and we'd better pursue this elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  12:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting that you answer all my points except the one about rooting and grounding that might explain a lot what you've shared lately on another thread !
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  08:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Alvin

quote:
Yes I'm well aware of the potential danger of getting erectile dysfunction, and in fact this is the main reason I sometimes avoid the pose altegether for months. I've never had any such problems from it, though I don't want to know it by experiencing it. So I'm essentially doing my own, mild versin of putting a small bundle of sock(s), with a pressure being no more than the weight of your hand putting on your lap (your hand, not the entire forearm!). Sometimes the pressure's even less, with a little more than a touch.

Siddhasana will give you no problem at all if done properly as Yogani describes see here

The pressure should only be gentle and feel pleasant and sexually stimulating thats the whole idea of doing it on a soft surface like a bed if done like this the pose will increase your sex urge rather than deplete it.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  09:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

After 25+ years of using siddhasana in sitting practices, there has been no degradation in normal sexual function here. What there has been is a gradual expansion of sexual function upward into the higher neurobiology, tying in with the rest of practices and the rise of inner silence and ecstatic conductivity/radiance. This has naturally led to more focus on radiance (outpouring divine love in activity - stillness in action) and less focus on reproductive sexual function. This in no way limits the ability to engage in sexual activity and have children as desired. It just isn't desired as much, since more engaging and pleasurable things are going on most of the time.

It is the difference between non-stop regenerative orgasm and intermittent degenerative orgasm. With both options available, which would you be doing most of the time? Everyone is free to choose.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  3:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Richard and Yogani,

For me the experience seems to be different, or perhaps just in a different wordings?

To be sure I observe no degradation in normal sexual function. And perhaps to say my sexual urge reduced is not the right expression. Rather, the impulsive desire to ejaculate reduces with siddhasana, a subtle difference that I wasn't specified enough.

Is that what is to be expected?

So far the experience has not been bad. Only that the changes are only temporary, with everything going back to normal as I stop siddhasana. If it's not some long term development that I'm for, I might just skip siddhasana for some months occasionally as I've been doing right now!

Could anyone shed more light on it?

Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  7:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alvin

quote:
the impulsive desire to ejaculate reduces with siddhasana,

Sounds good to me, read again what Yogani said in his post to you

quote:
gradual expansion of sexual function upward into the higher neurobiology, tying in with the rest of practices and the rise of inner silence and ecstatic conductivity

That is as is should be, if your normal sexual function is not impaired why do you need the desire to ejaculate? on the tantric side of things we avoid ejaculation seems like siddhasana has cracked that for you
Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  06:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani
After 25+ years of using siddhasana in sitting practices, there has been no degradation in normal sexual function here. What there has been is a gradual expansion of sexual function upward into the higher neurobiology, tying in with the rest of practices and the rise of inner silence and ecstatic conductivity/radiance. This has naturally led to more focus on radiance (outpouring divine love in activity - stillness in action) and less focus on reproductive sexual function. This in no way limits the ability to engage in sexual activity and have children as desired. It just isn't desired as much, since more engaging and pleasurable things are going on most of the time.

Hi Yogani,

Do you agree that Siddhasana is more to awaken hence raise up energy to Father Sky but does not resolve the bigger K-symptom which is descend down energy to Mother Earth (grounding then rooting) once it has been awakened ?

Maybe AYP through under the hood does not have the notion of energy up, energy down then when the system is purified enough, merging safely both flows for self-realisation ?

In Shakti, Albert

Edited by - selfonlypath on May 04 2008 08:13:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  11:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by selfonlypath

Do you agree that Siddhasana is more to awaken hence raise up energy to Father Sky but does not resolve the bigger K-symptom which is descend down energy to Mother Earth (grounding then rooting) once it has been awakened ?

Maybe AYP through under the hood does not have the notion of energy up, energy down then when the system is purified enough, merging safely both flows for self-realisation ?

Hi Albert:

Siddhasana and other tantric sexual methods enliven and make vital essence active and available in the higher-up neurobiology. From there it will go in whatever direction it needs to according to natural development, stimulated by additional practices. The AYP practices are not for taking energy in one direction or the other. They are for enlivening natural balanced flow. More importantly, the whole process resides in inner silence, which is universal without direction, or in all directions -- omnipresent.

Depending on an individual's matrix of inner obstructions, the energy may appear to go one way or the other (sometimes to excess), or get stuck somewhere, and self-pacing and/or grounding may be necessary. As you know, this is discussed in many places in the lessons and forums.

Some may add additional measures, seeking to direct energy in one direction or the other (up, down, or elsewhere). This may be deemed necessary at certain times, but carries with it the risk of creating some distortions even while resolving others. We all do what we must to move ahead.

To the extent directional practices exist in AYP (like spinal breathing pranayama), they are bi-directional or "global," aimed at promoting balance between ascending and descending energies, while enlivening them. Even powerful siddhasana is balanced through integration with the rest of the AYP practices.

Again, the entire process resides in stillness, so the concept of "direction" is a stepping-stone, a construct (literal or imagined) in time and space. That's why we let it go (under the hood) while favoring the practices that stimulate the underlying process of transformation, which is the cultivation and union of stillness with energetic flow, leading to the experience of stillness in action -- non-duality in duality. It is about favoring and releasing -- with releasing being the operative part.

Keep in mind that a sapling will find its natural fruition as a tree when provided with healthy nutrients and environment, and then left to grow, rather than by being managed inch by inch. Unless a Bonsai-style tree is desired, which, while perhaps satisfying in some ways, isn't a very liberated representation of enlightenment.

That's why when we get the thought, "Oh, the energy has to go (or is going) this way or that way," it is wise to just easily favor the practice we are doing. Favor the practice and release...

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  07:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

Thank you for the clarification which helps me understand deeper AYP system that you've developped.

As you might have noticed on other threads, I'm aware of grounding techniques via shaman path.

Do you make a difference between grounding and rooting ?

In AYP, what are the specific asanas that helps grounding and / or rooting ?

If there exist such asanas, which one involves sexual energy ?

In Shakti, Albert
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  11:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by selfonlypath

Do you make a difference between grounding and rooting ?

In AYP, what are the specific asanas that helps grounding and / or rooting ?

If there exist such asanas, which one involves sexual energy ?

Hi Albert:

In yoga, "grounding" is a concept implying balance of ascending and descending energies with extra focus on the latter, where-as "rooting" has a marshal arts (or taoist) connotation. In the end, they probably mean the same thing, though the methods of yoga and taoism are markedly different, reflecting their ancient traditional objectives.

To be honest, I can't think of any asanas that are specifically for grounding. Taken together, asanas are for energy awakening and balancing, but not primarily for grounding. Asanas may or may not help an energy imbalance, depending on the type and severity. We find out by trying and self-pacing. Asana experts, please add perspective on this as needed.

In yoga, worldly activity is for grounding, particularly physical activity, though also social and intellectual. Anything that keeps us engaged in time and space will help integrate inner silence and our enlivened spiritual energies into everyday living. It is the evolving dynamic of stillness in action.

Taoist methods are geared more to cultivating rooting prior to engagement in activity, stemming from the marshal arts traditions they come from. Tai Chi and related disciplines are both rooting and grounding.

Many asanas (including mudras and bandhas) act directly or indirectly on sexual energy. Siddhasana is an obvious one. As mentioned, asanas are not specifically designed for grounding, but collectively are for enlivening and balancing. So, in yoga, in addition to cultivating inner silence through deep meditation, samyama, etc, and awakening and balancing our energies through pranayama, asanas, mudras and bandhas, etc, we also keep active in daily life for practical integration and grounding.

Bringing in taoist methods, like a daily tai chi routine, can be helpful for grounding/rooting also. Some here have gone much further in combining yoga and taoist methods. And, of course, we self-pace all of our practices as necessary. The measures taken will depend on the individual dynamics of purification and opening.

Where do you see shaman terminology and methods fitting into this, or vise versa?

The guru is in you.

PS: Hi Alvin: Richard gave you good feedback on siddhasana. It works, doesn't it?

Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  2:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani and Richard,

Yes, it does help that way, namely helping me to establish my Brahmacharya which I dropped for months, and putting me back to a serious sitting practice.

But I do feel a little uncomfortable in my head which I think is related to it. Something like a pressure, which sometimes annoys me. It's not manifesting any further, just like stucking there. I can bear it and actually, it's not that bad. But sometimes I get a little impatient on whether I'm actually heading anywhere. It feels like it's just a temporary reaction from the practice, rather than a transient state leading to something great.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  3:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Chan

But I do feel a little uncomfortable in my head which I think is related to it. Something like a pressure, which sometimes annoys me. It's not manifesting any further, just like stucking there. I can bear it and actually, it's not that bad. But sometimes I get a little impatient on whether I'm actually heading anywhere. It feels like it's just a temporary reaction from the practice, rather than a transient state leading to something great.

Hi Alvin:

Don't forget to self-pace. No practice has to be all or nothing. Find your balance -- including with siddhasana. You can use your symptoms (head pressure, etc) as a feedback mechanism for that. It is not a reliable approach to "tough it out" through uncomfortable symptoms. Much better to do what is necessary to stay on an even keel.

As for getting anywhere, it seems you have traveled far in the past few years, in many ways. A few years from now, you will see how much further you have traveled from here. Yogic results do not lend themselves to day-to-day measurement. Though we may see something happening in the short term, it is only in the long term that we come to know what it is. So patience and stable daily practice are the keys. It is a marathon, not a sprint.

Don't build too many expectations for "something great." Just practice and live fully. Then ordinary life will gradually rise to the occasion.

What the ordinary see as great, the great see as ordinary.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  12:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani
Where do you see shaman terminology and methods fitting into this, or vise versa?

Dear Yogani,

Your question is really difficult to answer for me because i'm still trying to figure this out.

Shamanism seems to me less intellectual or philosophical than yogas or tantras by making use of very practical techniques involving nature as spiritual portals and helpers (earth, plants, stones, trees, animals,..) so this deep connection with nature provides a built-in grounding and rooting.

Grounding gets rid you from excess energy; rooting allows you to stabilize yourself to generate more energy.

Shamans usually work with three worlds: upper, middle and lower then travels between them via a common axis.

Maybe this is equivalent of Shiva, Earth and Shakti via sushumna !

Journeying between the worlds is done by inducing a trance which might just be another form of deep meditation.

There are different paths to enter in trance, one of them is by raising sexual energy and of course requires non-ejaculatory orgasm for a man.

In Shakti, Albert

Edited by - selfonlypath on May 06 2008 01:49:27 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000