AYPsite.org Forum
 Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats
 spiritual trip to India
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  4:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am interested in arranging a trip to India for a spiritual tour of a few power spots/significant sacred locations. Does anyone out in AYP land know of some business in India whom they could recommend for this? thanks.

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  4:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If it were me, I'd visit only spiritually NON-resonant sites, so I could discover what inner mechanisms drive me to feel certain portions of the universe as being less full of God.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  4:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John C,
Welcome to the forum.

I am sure someone will chime in on places to visit when in India.
In the mean time check and see if this thread helps you at all.
India
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  9:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And a point well taken, Jim, that I was imagining some supposedly sacred places in India, which presupposes some not so sacred place. It was a faulty, if not downright cliche-ridden assumption!
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  10:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We've ALL felt exactly the same impulse. Not cliche...just the normal human tendency to go looking for "it". Wouldn't it be great if there was somewhere we could go...something we could say...something we could do....that would instantly and permanently fill this universal human sense of spiritual void?

The world does offer pockets of TEMPORARY soothing and comfort. Sex, shaktipat, massage, Christmas bonuses, Playstations, hashish, forests, music. But to find the unvarying, immutable root of the fleeting dabs of satisfaction experienced from those things, one has to "do" less and "let" more. Meditation's a great technology to coax a process of letting. And it works everywhere!

By the way, I wasn't being a wise ass. I'm serious. I find it far more fruitful to open to God while in the checkout line in Bed Bath and Beyond than next to some idyllic lake. I do like idyllic lakes, though, fwiw....I mean, why not? Same for "holy places" in India. Nice! So, despite it all, there's no reason whatsoever NOT to go to India! If you're drawn, go for it! I'm the ultimate capricious traveler, myself! But as Buckaroo Bonzai said so wisely: wherever you go, there you are....

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Nov 24 2007 10:49:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  02:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti for your welcome, and the information. Thanks Jim.
Any other folks have any suggestions on where to go in India and with whom? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  10:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

Go to Rishikesh... possibly the holiest city in the world. As for businesses that could organise it... I don't know... I always just go, and everything seems to work out fine.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  6:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lonely Planet has very good books on planning trips, as well as Rick Reves/Reeves. If you're on a budget "Let's Go" series is great too.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  11:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A good starting point might be Swami Dayananda Ashram in in Rishikesh, right on the banks of the Ganges at the foot of the Himalayas. http://www.arshavidhyapitam.org/
Insanely beautiful area, and it's the gateway to many holy sites, bearded dudes in caves, etc.

Swami Dayananda, fyi, is a fantastic old-school Vedanta teacher; he also has a center in Pennsylvania and divides his time between both. If possible, try to be there when he's there (the other resident swamis there aren't at his level). I see he's got a few programs coming up this spring (you wouldn't want to be in the himalayas in winter): http://www.arshavidhyapitam.org/announcement.htm

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Nov 28 2007 11:11:55 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000