AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 AYP Samyama vs. Patanjali Samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  11:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm having trouble understanding how AYP samyama interfaces with the concept of samyama discussed by Patanjali. For example, in the following sutra, what would be the specific samyama, in AYP terms? The word "Word"? Or just a still, subtle pondering of the issue?

3.17 The name associated with an object, the object itself implied by that name, and the conceptual existence of the object, all three usually interpenetrate or commingle with one another. By samyama on the distinction between these three, the meaning of the sounds made by all beings becomes available.
(shabda artha pratyaya itaretara adhyasat samkara tat pravibhaga samyama sarva bhuta ruta jnana)

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  11:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I think I've got it. You pull out the sanskrit word that encapsulates the issue...in this case, shabda (http://hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/es...atanjali.htm)

Then you do some research to find the best possible translation and use that (Yogani says to use one's first language).

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jul 18 2005 11:56:34 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000