AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Lightening the karmic load
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  11:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

It's been said that through our daily meditation, we can lighten our karmic burden and perhaps reduce the number of turns around the wheel we must make.

I've been wondering how this happens. It is suggested that by cleansing our nervous systems this can be accomplished. Throughout my meditations, sometimes I re-live events from my life that I wish I could re-do. Events where I have been less than kind or hurtful or just wrong in some way.

This morning for example, when meditating, I relived two events regarding a business associate from a prior job. Once I was quite sharp, and verbally cutting to him after he had done something I explicitly told him not to do, and he corrupted the company's database. Another time I was rude to him and cut him off after he had done something I thought was hurtful and then I never took his calls again. Childish, I know...

This morning, while meditating, as each of these sad events replayed in my mind, I felt as if I saw the scenes as an outsider, and felt/saw sorrow in my actions and felt his hurt and bewilderment at my actions. After each scene, I gently went back to my mantra. Calmness never left through these experiences this morning as I viewed these scenes I wished I could change.

I wonder if this is one mechanism in which we reduce karmic load. By revisiting wrongs and experiencing them through both party's eyes...

What do others in the group think? How is it that we release karmic debt through meditation? Is it a purely physiological process of just cleansing the nervous system or are there other avenues?

In light, life and love,
Kathy

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  4:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy:

When we talk about "releasing" karma in meditation, what we really mean is "transforming" it to a higher manifestation than would have happened otherwise. As the nervous system purifies, the shadowy elements of our karma become illuminated by pure bliss consciousness. The seeds of the karma remain, but with the light blooming through them from within we are inspired to act differently. So, if we wronged someone in the past (we all have), and the light is coming up, the seeds of that will inspire us to some kind of service that will not only illuminate others, but further illuminate us as well. In this way, karma is transformed to higher purpose.

As you know, when content comes up in meditation (all related to purification), we just easily go back to the mantra. In the process of purification we don't have to be analyzing the exhaust of it, which is what all thoughts, feelings and physical sensations are in meditation. We just keep letting go with the mantra into the infinite. Over time, that changes our relationship with our karma, and with everyone else's too. What we end up with is outpouring divine love sprouting out of those illuminated karmic seeds. That's why enlightenment comes in so many flavors -- so many flavors of pure love!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  5:23:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani, for that clarification! Makes sense. We DO act differently when we are regularly doing our meditation practice. And we treat others differently--with more understanding, kindness and respect. We treat ourselves differently too I think... And thank you for the reminder of service to others. As my youngest heads off to college, I look at the change in life as an opportunity to give more service to the community.

My 18 year old daughter recently started doing the meditation as well. Our little home is becoming so mellow. :) Just today she made a comment about what a difference it made in the way she felt toward others, especially when she was driving! We're in southern california where traffic can be quite fierce and tempers short on the roads. She said that she used to get angry at other driver's bad behavior, but now she is mellow when driving and when someone cuts her off or does something goofy, she just continues her journey and doesn't get torqued. I can believe it.

In Peace,

Kathy

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000