Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 If only we retained memory, no need for yoga?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  01:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This question has been in my mind for a long time. I've been seriously doing AYP for several months now. I personally think it is important to be make sure that Yoga(and the material transcendence that comes as a result of it) don't create more questions than answers, and that I don't lose sight of why I'm doing Yoga. For me the biggest motivation factor to do Yoga is the fear of death and the loss of memory that comes with it. I have absolutely no recollection what I was doing before my death and that means without question that I would have absolutely no recollection of my present life after I die. That means everything I like,dislike,feel,fear,consider important is a total waste. I know many people can explain this pretty quickly by saying 'I' is an illusion and it is the consiouness that undergoes various experiences and it is that which gets trapped into physical body and assumes a separate entity. But I'm looking for a more personal explanation.
Assume a hypothetical world where people don't lose memory after death. They recall all past lifes. My main motivation for Yoga begin memory loss after death, I would not practice Yoga in this hypothetical world. Would you? If you would, why? (I also wonder whether this hypothetical world order is only possible for enlightened beings in which case Yoga is already attained.)
AYP lessons of Yogani are more about daily practices and don't say much about death/rebirth. But I don't agree that this could be a less important issue for everyone compared to striving for unending bliss. I'm sure this is the most important thing for many embodied beings to worry about. Bliss is already there.

Edited by - Maximus on Nov 09 2007 02:11:20 AM

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  2:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This reminds me of the story of the two monks who during their travel helped a beautiful girl crossing a river. Late in the evening when they went to bed, one monk said something about that girl. The other monk replied “Are you still carrying that girl?”
Yoga, tantra, meditation are there to keep you in the “now”. Memories will stay with you, even some after death. But why are those moments in the past better then the “Now”?
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  1:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reading that quote made me realize how many girls I am still carrying :-)
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  8:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Why wouldn't you do yoga if after you died there was nothing? Are you doing yoga as a way of saving up for something in the afterlife?
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  05:48:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,
One premise of yoga is the continuity of life, and therefore accumulated karma, and therefore, cleaning away karmic grooves 'sanskaras', isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  3:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, yoga is about cleaning the those karmic grooves...I just never think of the afterlife I guess. It doesn't make sense to do so, when no one actually knows what will happen (this can be debated by some crazy people, but it's true that no one actually knows).

To stop doing yoga simply because you might not be enlightened after 10,000 rebirths - that seems a little silly. Maybe Maximus will become enlightened in this very life! What if he quits just because it seems hopeless? Then it will not happen, and no progress will be made. Then what if he 'comes to' after death and finds that his life was wasted?

Or maybe he will have a fulfilling practice, and end up dying and not remembering anything or having any consciousness...at least his life was fulfilled.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  11:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Sadhak and bows to Scott.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  08:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Sadhak...I will bow in return!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000