AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 neurobiology and the nasal septum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  2:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
here is the nasal septum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_septum

Who knew it had so much to do with the pleasure of orgasm? The yogis have known it for a long time. Now the neurobiologists see it too:

http://www.medspe.com/site/template...PHPSESSID=ad

"...it would seem that endogenous opioids are the principal neurotransmitters of pleasure... A network of structures, constituted mainly of the septum and the orbitofrontal cortex, are highly likely to play a major role.

The septum is a structure which would be implicated in pleasure, and may be especially in pleasure of a sexual nature, such as orgastic pleasure. In animals, the electric stimulation of the septum causes behavioral reactions suggesting intense pleasure. In the monkey, the stimulation of the septum causes an erection. In Man, the electric stimulation of the septum inducse states of sexual pleasure, and acetylcholine injections cause orgasm...

In conclusion, the whole of the data on pleasure and erotic pleasures suggests that the septum is a key structure for all erotic pleasures. It thus seems that the orgasm, which is apparently a primarily subcortical process, would correspond in a particular state of activity of a specific process of erotic pleasures, localised mainly in the septum. Nevertheless all these assumptions based on partial data remain to be confirmed."

Edited by - bewell on Jun 24 2007 2:46:31 PM

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  6:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi bewell,

Thanks for the info. The olfactory nerve is cranial nerve #1 (12 nerves that come out of the head as opposed to the spinal nerves). It is located at the top of the nasal cavity. Right now I am assuming it is what you stimulate when you achieve full stage 4 khechari. It is the only sensory nerve that feeds dirctly into the limbic system, the home of the 4 fs (food, fight, flight, and sex). Very basic, primitive.

"The most important function of our olfactory organ--a matter which is completely unknown in the Occident--is the absorption of prana from the air. The olfactory organ and the olfactory surface is not only a signal device for scents and odours, but also the inlet valve for prana."

From Yoga and Health by Yesudian and Haich.

So stands to reason that these are the physical counterparts of ida and pingala, right? What do you think?

When I was 16 or 17, I would practice yoga for a couple hours out of Swami Vishnudevananda's book and intersperse the postures with about a dozen sets of various types of pushups (25-40 per set) combined with bhastrika style breathing when pushing up and down. I would be pretty exhausted by the time I got done and would lie down for deep relaxation. After a bit, I would get the most intense pleasure I have ever felt, and I mean the most intense, in my life from temple to temple (made me understand why they say "grinning from ear to ear" ). It was so intense, maybe it is like a heroin rush, I don't know. OMG, I would start to feel like I was passing out. And I would snap back to consciousness, kind of a protective reflex I think. This happened during several different practice sessions. Then one time I didn't catch myself and I went beyond. When I came to, I was on the other side, so to speak. It was vast space. I don't know if it was inner space or outer space, just that there where little specks of golden light all over the place. When I became aware of myself there, as a point of awareness without any other attribute, I got scared and my first thought was, "Holy S@$%, where the f*&! am I?" (direct quote ) and vwoop!, right back into my body.

I relate this to the information in your post. Must have stimulated that whole area. Wow, it was so intense, overwhelming. Nothing like it since. Thought you might find it interesting.

Anybody know what that was?

Thanks for the info, bewell, yb

Edited by - yogibear on Jun 25 2007 02:12:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2110 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  11:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
that's kind of big news, yoga-wise, though i'm not sure how new it is biology-wise. thanks bewell. I'd love to try acetylcholine and see what it does from the yoga perspective (non-yogis/meditators interpret all energy flows and openings as sexual)
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  01:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogibear

Sounds like you had a great experience of hitting the "NOW", presence and dove into the void and got a glimpse of the "shine". In the links below, you see some other descriptions! It can be very frightening to dive into the void being unprepared, and as you say - the ego usually can not follow there (although there are exceptions to this!). So when mind starts babbling *snap* you're out of it before you are so distanced from your ego so you can stay there and just watch the mind babbling as if it is not you.

This is definitely off topic, but since you asked...

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1489

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1551

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1886

To get back to the topic, see also this related discussion on sneezing:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1611

Edited by - emc on Jun 25 2007 04:42:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  02:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, emc, I will check them out. G'nite.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  12:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogibear

...I would get the most intense pleasure I have ever felt, and I mean the most intense, in my life from temple to temple (made me understand why they say "grinning from ear to ear" ). It was so intense, maybe it is like a heroin rush, I don't know....When I became aware of myself there, as a point of awareness without any other attribute...

Anybody know what that was?

Hi Yogibear,

In terms of neurobiology, an experience of being consciousness in a void is related to the interruption of sensory nerve fibers: "deafferentation." That process is discussed in depth by Eugene G. D'Aquili and Andrew B. Newberg in their books including one titled, The Mystical Mind: Probing the Biology of Religious Experience.

I've experienced that once, but not while doing yoga. It was spontaneous during an episode of sleep paralysis (I had awakened from sleep mentally, but my body was still in the state of "paralysis" that is normal and useful during REM sleep because it inhibits acting out dreams). Upon seemingly exiting my body, there was a rush of extraordinary pleasure, then the pleasure faded, and there was only my consciousness in a perceptual void. I wasn't freaked out; I figured I had died and I was ok with it.

I like your quote relating breath and the septum. When we become aware of air brushing against our septum, we are stimulating a neurobiogical pleasure center.

Edited by - bewell on Jun 25 2007 12:42:10 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000